Ollie’s First Night at School...

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
...was just hellacious! And, not on a good way. So Ollie got all dressed in his uniform for school and John drove us over. He has to wear his service clothes whenever we are training/working. It’s held in a vet’s office in a nice big reception room with furniture, water bubbler and is climate controlled. There are three other dogs, a Shelti who is training for confirmation for the show ring and also training elsewhere for agility, a gorgeous Brittany Spaniel who has “huge anxiety issues” and a very sweet 6 month old Lab/shepherd mix.

So back to Ollie...he was totally ADHD all class. He was so distractible, wanting to go over to all the other dogs, refusing to go to place on his mat. He did a few “Sit, Downs” and then turned a total deaf ear to me like he hadn’t practiced that all week. He looked at me like he had never seen me before and who the heck was I? I mean he was really awful. Then he started ignoring the stinky teeny training treats. They’re so small they’re hard to shove in his huge mouth. We took a break on the mats and gave the dogs their Kong’s filled with frozen peanut butter. He took a couple of licks, but then wanted to go socialize. The room is very large so we all have chairs and lots of private space. Then, since everyone but Ollie did so well, we moved on to walking to a large open door, sit, and then go. For this I pulled out the big treat guns and used some imported Brie I had brought along. For that he worked, but he took two attempts. We went out side for some individual walk/pee time. Ollie just ambled along happily like he thought he was an A student or something. We tried the open door, sit, go in on command going back in. Ollie was lazy and pulled the whole Robert DeNiro“You talkin’ to me?” thing again. The trainer could see my anxiety and said, “you’re the only one anxious. He’s just being a bulldog.”
Thankfully, time was up at this point. All dogs have worked with the trainer individually. I think we’re the only ones who have only worked with her alone once so far.
We came home. It’s was 8:23pm. I went in my bedroom to change into my pjs. As I was changing, Ollie came in and literally flung himself on his bed. I flung myself into my bed to watch TV. I have no memory of what was on the television. All I know is, it was this morning and the sun was shining. I had to wake Ollie up to go out and pee. I tried working him about 10:00AM. Had to break out the Brie. I ate some too. Ollie had about a six minute attention span. We’ll work again at 3:00PM.

e4f245ff4a4681746ba870c7924c775f.jpg

0e90ce9d32afb0659389eb9c7216b9bc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Awwwwa such a bully!! As you know it’s all about time n patents. He’ll get there. Bring them Brie treats lol. Thanks for sharing! Do not forget, Bulldogs have THEIR own rules... :yes:

7E2F8020-B4B2-465D-A096-46FEA75D76B6.jpeg

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Sounds like he was being a bulldog! I know it can be discouraging but this was just the first class. As you know, bullies are stubborn and do things when and if they want. Just keep at it and be consistent...you got this!!

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
:rofl::rofl::rofl: I'm sorry - I can't stop laughing. So typical. I wouldn't even contemplate using Punk anywhere, anyhow. I would also get the 10 yard stare.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He was in socialization mode for sure!

First class and the journey has started... he’ll improve

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Lol... that’s hysterical!
He’s the class clown! I am positive that’s what Bella would be!lol

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I know you are discouraged, but don't give up!!! I can't tell you HOW many times my bulldogs have completely embarrassed me in puppy/dog classes... they were the absolute worst behaved. BUT of course we go home, and everything was great... I swear they act up in public just for FUN!!! Lol

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
You keep at it and he'll come around...maybe not as quickly as you'd like but he WILL come around. Keep working him at home and do not set the bar too high. Measure his learning in blocks of 2 weeks, not days.
Ollie is 1.75 years old. IMO, He's still got a puppy mentality, but once he grasps the concept the learning will come quickly.
This endeavor will pay huge dividends.

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
OKAY!!!!!! he just did 3 downs from standing position w/o doing a sit first. He did them for the little treat he wanted no part of in class. I had to be really patient and stay bent over from the knees with the treat a while. All the blood rushed to my head, but HE DID IT! I am sooooo happy.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
OKAY!!!!!! he just did 3 downs from standing position w/o doing a sit first. He did them for the little treat he wanted no part of in class. I had to be really patient and stay bent over from the knees with the treat a while. All the blood rushed to my head, but HE DID IT! I am sooooo happy.

Great! After a few at home good lessons, you may want to invite his playmate buddy over, and try working with him then. Put him through his paces while his friend is there,on a leash. After you get him to do what he is supposed to, then let him play. Don't forget what Chip said-Ollie is still a pup,and kids just wanna' have fun! He will learn,and when he does, he will be totally dedicated,and proud!

Members online

No members online now.