Are adult bullys big chewers on everything?

Fatcookie

Jun 27, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
Today I'm picking up my adopted bulky from the shelter, I received advice yesterday from one of the members about how to feed him, he is around 6 years, ...but now my question is are they chewers? Like chewing everything? I will get him toys, but because his age I don't know how playful they can be.... again it's my first bulldog, I'm trying to learn as much as I can to give him a good life... thank you

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
My 2 Bulldogs are HUGE chewers. Though that doesn't mean they chew on everything they see. They are good about only chewing on toys and bones :)

2bullies

May 14, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bunny
I think each dog will be different in regards to being chewers. My female is an occasional chewer and prefers anything that resembles a real bone. I've purchased quite a few of the popular chew toys, such as Kong products but she never touches them but loves the real beef rib bones and Nylabones. Be careful with real bones because bullies are strong and I've seen my dog completely destroyed and attempt to eat the fragments, which are sharp. I only give her the huge beef bones now. Also, I stay away from rawhide because I've had dogs that tried to swallow them whole once they get soft and nearly choke.

I've seen other posts from bully owners who have dogs that chew/destroy/swallow everything from shoes, remote controls and dog beds. Fortunately I never had that issue with our bully.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Some can be, but to be safe, be sure to crate train and place in a crate when you are not at home. Or gate them in a room with nothing they can get into.
My guys love raw marrow bones, Kong toys and moose antlers (softer than deer)

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Both of mine seem to like to chew on things......mostly things that don't belong to them....hehehe. Amber is 7 and still acts like a puppy. She will take anything she can get....shower curtains are her specialty so unless someone is taking a shower there isn't a shower curtain in the main bathroom. No curtains in the house......Amber likes to look out the windows and will eat holes through the curtains so she can see. We now have electric window covers that come down over the windows so no need for curtains. We have child gates up at all the bedroom doors so neither of them can go in and unmake the beds....yes, they both like to grab the blankets and take off down the hallway with them to make beds on the living room floors. there isn't any real way to be prepared other than keep them in eyesight at all times. They are just like 2 year olds.....if you cannot see them they are into something. Amber is master at moving the kitchen chairs to get access to the cabinets and get on top of the table.....she does like her panoramic view outside. Both of mine are 7 and 6 and it is always good times in our house. Good luck!! Welcome to being owned by a bulldog!!

OP
F

Fatcookie

Jun 27, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
Thanks to everyone for the answers! :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thanks to everyone for the answers! :)

My brindle she’ll chew through anything. Only thing that has lasted is the buffalo horns I bought last year. Raw frozen marrow bones are great n healthy. Don’t buy the cook ones as when dogs chew into them they can get splinters.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
No cooked bones allowed!
Soft chew Nylabones are a favorite of ours. Rubber Kong chews also good. The best balls are solid rubber and if you have an aggressive chewer then get yourself a Lacrosse Ball.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Louie is a big chewer, not necessarily on things he shouldn't be chewing on, but he goes through chew toys fairly quickly. The buffalo horns have definitely lasted the longest and frozen raw marrow bones are good but that's not something they get all the time.

Delaney24

Feb 15, 2018
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
I was just going to ask today does the chewing ever end?

Mine is 9 months and he chews thru kongs, nylabones, the support wood beam on the patio, the leather ottoman, and today MY WORK COMPUTER! He can't have a bed, blanket, anything. Will I ever be able to trust him in a room alone??

Where do you find Buffalo bones? My vet told me no bones but I need something to satisfy his chewing urges.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Mine is 9 months and he chews thru kongs, nylabones, the support wood beam on the patio, the leather ottoman, and today MY WORK COMPUTER! He can't have a bed, blanket, anything. Will I ever be able to trust him in a room alone??

Where do you find Buffalo bones? My vet told me no bones but I need something to satisfy his chewing urges.

frozrnmarrow bones are great... I give them once a week others do on occasion. The horns probably from a specialty store, I've never used those. My guys love the marrow bones and moose paddles (Acadia Antlers)

2bullies

May 14, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bunny

Most of the specialty pet stores have the Buffalo horns. I got mine on Amazon.com but bought the wrong ones, which were completely solid and very heavy. The ones I've seen in pet stores are hollow, or shed horns, which are much better and just as durable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty isn't really a big chewer. He does have a couple of nylabones that he likes and a empty plastic OJ bottle that he chases around and makes a lot of noise. My two bits of advice are NEVER give him a rawhide of any kind (downright dangerous and should be banned) and rope toys. My previous dog could shred a rope toy in no time at all and swallowed some of the strings, Not good but luckily he passed them OK.

Members online

No members online now.