Thread: Entropion Surgery...

Bulldog(s) Names
    Herschel
    Likes (Received)

Default Entropion Surgery...

After getting conflicting opinions about whether or not Herschel actually needed the surgery he started to develop and ulcer. We took him to an ophthalmologist, they stapled his eyes open and we scheduled the surgery. I am now having second thoughts because I am afraid for Herschel to be put under. My thoughts are between weighing the risk of surgery vs. continued treatment that has got him through 4 years with no problems. All this is made worse by the fact that his mother passed last evening at a young age. She was over weight and had a clot that went to her heart. Anyway, has anyone ever deferred the entropion surgery? What was your experience?

2. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Entropion Surgery...

Most complications that stem from surgeries are due to vets who are not familiar with the breed. We've never done Entropion surgery but Tyson has been put under twice. Once with a non-bulldog experienced vet (and we almost lost him) - 2nd time with an extremely experienced bulldog vet & staff and the difference was night & day. He even came home on the same day! So be confident in your vet, and have them run a quick blood tests & checkup before surgery (2nd surgery they did this as well) to make sure he was "healthy" enough to go under. In our case it was also his age, he was 8 at the time. I know others will chime in that have had the surgery with their thoughts as well.

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

4. Likes ddnene, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

I have two that had entropion surgery-total four eyes. My vet has bulldogs and is very knowledgeable with all animals. They did fine-the worst of it all was 2 weeks in the cone!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

6. Likes TyTysmom, 2BullyMama liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I have no experience with this surgery.... but as others stated, make sure they are familiar with a bulldog being under anesthesia.

sending lots of hugs and prayers all goes well
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

I don't have experience with it yet, but I will as of Thursday.... yikes! Hank is just one yr old, and he will be getting that, soft palate, and nares done on Thursday.. Very experienced( 38yrs with bulldogs) vet but I'm still of course edgy. Cant help it, he's my kid... I guess I feel that that one is the least of my 'surgery' worries,,,, so going for them all at once so the going under is worth it more??? oh lordy, I didn't like it with my shih tzus either! but didn't have the same knowledge as I do with this guy.. Anyway, best of luck in your decision... I second guess EVERYTHING and came here to reassure myself I'm now more comfortable to 'go for it'...

Real Name
    Aspen
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella and Sophie
    Likes (Received)

I am somewhat in the same boat. Sophie's been seen by three ophthalmologists and now is scheduled for surgery July 11. I am taking her to our regular vet today for her opinion, even though she said in the past she may have to have it done and she is the reason we saw an ophthalmologist in the first place. I am so scared to have to put her under. She was fine when she was spayed, but that seems like forever ago!

I'm sure all will be well, and you wrote this post some months ago, so I hope your baby is doing amazing!

10. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

@berlin78 , Yes, it's always scary for sure, and confidence is what you'll need to make that decision or follow through... Mine didn't need the cone which saved us that part AND! I'm totally happy we did it.... but!!!!! just because it's done, and done well, doesn't assure that it wont have or need to be done again that part blew me away!! I thought it was a for sure one time thing...

Remove Ads