Freaked out about upcoming spay surgery!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Yes, she will be just fine! Its so much easier said than done, but just pray, stay calm, and all will be fine :)

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I decided to go ahead and get Bella spayed. It's scheduled for this Thursday. I'm hearing so many different things about anesthesia and the things that can go wrong with short-nosed breeds. I'm really scared! I know my vet loves her, but I just want to make sure they know what to do for her.

What questions should I ask them? My friend told me that I shouldn't let them give her acepromazine. Is that something normally given during spay? I read something else that said it's OK to give, but that bullies should be watched carefully after it's given.

Please help me! I'm a crazy dog mom.

Good luck tomorrow and please let us know how it goes, will be thinking about her and sending positive thoughts yours and Bellas way.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Yes...keeping y'all in prayer, got a very positive calm when I pray :)
Keep us informed, we got y'all covered, you know, we ARE family here.

"We are Groot"

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I love you guys! Thanks! I'll be sure to keep you updated. :)

rayneman

Feb 23, 2015
Rocky River, Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
We had 5 month old Lucy spayed last Thursday. It's almost a week later and you wouldn't know anything happened.

We have pain pills and sedatives and the "cone" and have had to use NONE of it. She hasn't paid any attention to her stitches and everything is healing up nicely. She was a little shaky her first evening home and part of the next day. Now she's 100%.

I just dropped her off, signed a bunch of stuff and then picked her up later in the day. Despite being worried, the whole thing turned out to be very anticlimactic.

So far our girl has proven to be TOUGH. I bet your experience will be similar.

Good luck but don't worry too much.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
We had 5 month old Lucy spayed last Thursday. It's almost a week later and you wouldn't know anything happened.

We have pain pills and sedatives and the "cone" and have had to use NONE of it. She hasn't paid any attention to her stitches and everything is healing up nicely. She was a little shaky her first evening home and part of the next day. Now she's 100%.

I just dropped her off, signed a bunch of stuff and then picked her up later in the day. Despite being worried, the whole thing turned out to be very anticlimactic.

So far our girl has proven to be TOUGH. I bet your experience will be similar.

Good luck but don't worry too much.

I love this. Thank you!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Thinking of you guys today… keep busy, and keep us posted as soon as you can!!! :hug:

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Already started praying this morning for you and sweet Bella - sending hugs & prayers - keep us posted today!

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I dropped her off this morning. She was oblivious and just as happy as ever, even though I told her they were going to take out her girlie parts. LOL!

The doctor told me that she'd be out of it for a day and a half and then she'd start acting normally again....BUT, I'd have to make sure to make her rest and stay calm. For 10 days, she can only go out for potty breaks. They said if I need to, I can have her sedated again during the 10 days. :ohmy:

She probably wouldn't need a cone because she can't reach her girlie parts. They're going to give me 10 days worth of anti-inflam drugs.

They said they'd call me around noon.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
She'll be so happy when you pick her up, butt wiggles will follow [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Yep, yep, yep...continued prayers for Bella & you!

Hoping you've got plans that will keep you occupied
until you get that lovely call that all is well and come
get your baby :)

Surrounding you in supportive hugs all day.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I dropped her off this morning. She was oblivious and just as happy as ever, even though I told her they were going to take out her girlie parts. LOL!

The doctor told me that she'd be out of it for a day and a half and then she'd start acting normally again....BUT, I'd have to make sure to make her rest and stay calm. For 10 days, she can only go out for potty breaks. They said if I need to, I can have her sedated again during the 10 days. :ohmy:

She probably wouldn't need a cone because she can't reach her girlie parts. They're going to give me 10 days worth of anti-inflam drugs.

They said they'd call me around noon.

WOW! When ever my girls came home, you'd never know they had a thing done-they just acted like nothing ever happened! She may surprise you! They never had any meds to-go!! Best wishes for your gal-she will be fine!

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
She'll be so happy when you pick her up, butt wiggles will follow [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I CANNOT wait to see her wiggly butt! #BrindleButtWiggles

How is Bella doing? I woke up thinking about y'all!

I'm still waiting to hear from the vet.

Yep, yep, yep...continued prayers for Bella & you!

Hoping you've got plans that will keep you occupied
until you get that lovely call that all is well and come
get your baby :)

Surrounding you in supportive hugs all day.

I'm at work, so I guess that should be keeping me busy... :p

WOW! When ever my girls came home, you'd never know they had a thing done-they just acted like nothing ever happened! She may surprise you! They never had any meds to-go!! Best wishes for your gal-she will be fine!

Really??! Wow, that's incredible!

Members online