Thread: New York Times

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default New York Times

I am almost positive that this has been posted before here but originally when I read it back in 2011 it bugged me and still does but it did confirm for me that I would one day soon be owned by an English Bulldog and I am and am the proudest dad on the face of the earth. I've read about this breed all my life and never came across anything like this, what do you think?

www.nytimes.com/2011/11/27/magazine/can-the-bulldog-be-saved.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Melissa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New York Times

I thought this article was very interesting. I do agree that most breeds (not just bulldogs) should stop being bred for a certain look. Like German Shepherds are being bred to have tiny back legs, I saw one at the vet yesterday who had to hobble to the car with two vet techs helping, it was so sad to watch, he literally could not use his back legs! But that's what the show standards want so that's how they are being bred! I would love for the show standard for all breeds to be health before looks! Another interesting thing on breeding is a documentary from the BBC called "Pedigree Dogs Exposed", highly recommend watching it! You can find it on YouTube I think or google.
    Last edited by mcraven2; 06-26-2013 at 08:12 PM.
    Princess, Diva, and Gio <3

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I read this before.... very interesting
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

This is the first time I've seen this New York Times article, thanks for posting it. We started getting Bulldogs in the early 80s. They really are heartbreakers! Ruggles is my 6th Bulldog and other than eating everything in sight, he is by far the healthiest. After 9 year old Mack died last summer, we decided to get an Olde English Bulldogge because they don't have the breathing problems. I really feel the Brits are on the right track putting health issues first in breed standards.

It is a whole other story how we ended up with Buster--his mom is an OEB, his dad is a sneaky Frenchie!

Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

Yes it is disturbing, I read it when it was first published and posted it in this forum not too long ago myself. Personally I think the general thrust of the article and the evidence contained therein is incontrovertible. And there was a documentary on dogs on tv [ I cant remember the title or network] that brought up the same issue. it was dealing with the evolution of dogs, and used the bulldog as an example. There are and have been healthy EB's but breeding for a particular exaggerated look, which often wins shows, is not always healthy.

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Kable View Post
    This is the first time I've seen this New York Times article, thanks for posting it. We started getting Bulldogs in the early 80s. They really are heartbreakers! Ruggles is my 6th Bulldog and other than eating everything in sight, he is by far the healthiest. After 9 year old Mack died last summer, we decided to get an Olde English Bulldogge because they don't have the breathing problems. I really feel the Brits are on the right track putting health issues first in breed standards.

It is a whole other story how we ended up with Buster--his mom is an OEB, his dad is a sneaky Frenchie!
    this is exactly why I imported duke ffrom hungary!

Remove Ads