Public Perception of Bulldogs

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
I tell people caring for a bully is a lot like having an infant!!!! Everyday I wake up take her out clean her bowls feed her breakfast, clean her face, brush her, dry out her nose rope, check her teeth, make her play, take her out, make her relax (that's never hard lol) work on obedience, take her out, clean her bowls, feed her dinner, clean her face, take her out, clean her nose rope, take her out, give her her snack, n put her to bed!!!! By the time I'm done saying that their jaws are on the floor n they are asking y I go through all that trouble for a dog n then I tell them that's the issue with so many ppl who "want" bullies to them they r just dogs when they need to be a member of ur family ur fur baby :D I don't know one person on here who will say oh it's just a dog :( bcuz we all know bullies r not dogs they r skin kids in fur coats lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ChrisRN

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I think from all the threads I've read on the forum I would also caution a first-time dog owner that a bulldog breed isn't necessarily the best choice for someone just looking for a dog who can ride a skateboard. While sweet, they can be stubborn and may try to dominate their "pack." Someone who doesn't recognize this behavior or know how to get the dog under control early enough to stop it will contribute to the dogs who are surrendered to shelters with behavioral problems. I remember knocking my bullmastiff puppies on their butts when they tried to assert their dominance. :punish:Mabel doesn't seem to have this tendency, but she is stubborn. She appears to have very selective hearing. :shout:

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
When we take Bogey down to our local Marina for a walk, it takes about 45 minutes to go 1/4 mile because of all the "oohhh, he is so cute", "can I take his picture", "oh this is my favorite dog-I want one so bad" and my all time favorite "how much did he cost". So, I EDUCATE them on the stubborness, the care, the allergies, the dog food, the bathing, the training, the biting, the dominance issues, and the COST!! When I get the "how much did he cost" question, I blow it way out of proportion because if someone really wants a bulldog, cost is usually not a factor, so let them think it was way more than he was! I also warn parents with toddlers about the biting and nipping, and I let everyone know about Tampa Bay bulldog rescue and why there are so many bulldogs for adoption. Hopefully, I have changed some minds and directed them to a rescue. It's all we can do!!

Members online

No members online now.