Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vegas stew anyone?

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Vegas stew anyone?

OK ... so Daddy is Orion .... you'd think we had not fed him in two weeks!! At least I'm not alone in this!!

Really hoping we don't get to the stage where we have to lock Daddy up each meal time to give the other dogs a chance to eat in peace!!

BullyWood Movie Star I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Erin
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

We just started making this for Frank because we have him on Fromm now, so don't feed as much and he acts like he is being starved all the time! He was starting to get crazy eyes whenever he thought we had food out! Anyway, we have been feeding him the stew for a week, adding about 1/2-1 cup in with his kibble and he LOVES it!!! And so far haven't noticed any excess gas and his poo is still firm, yay! I made sure to simmer it for over 3 hours just to be on the safe side of bulldog gas warfare!
    THANK YOU so much for posting this!!
    Last edited by Biogirl71; 01-27-2011 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Forgot to add thanks!

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lacey
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Silva and Stella
    Likes (Received)

I am getting the ingredients today! My pet food store said there is a back order on Fromm and cant get it until Feb 14 and I ordered it 2 weekends ago. So frustrated!!! But I still have some left so figure I can feed less kibble food and add the stew as a filler!! I will keep you posted~
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Anonymous

Real Name
    Lacey
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Silva and Stella
    Likes (Received)

@Libra926 Thanks for the Vegas stew recipe. Silva 's it so much! She has a cup in the AM and one at dinner then 1 cup of her Fromm kibble and her snacks. She has alittle bit of gas but are good! You saved me from having to change her food while I wait for her food shipment to get here!!
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Anonymous

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

you may even be able to cut her down more. When Vegas doesn't have stew..he get 1 cup twice daily...when he has stew he only get 1/2 cup twice daily.

Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
    Likes (Received)

Very interesting! Chunk gets a cup of green beans and a tablespoon of pumpkin w/ each meal (twice a day) with his dry food. Ever since I switched him from the Royal Canin (which was 2 cups of food twice a day) he always seemed hungry and this took care of his hunger! He loooves it all - I just don't warm it up because he eats it the same either way. I can see his ribs too but my vet says he's the perfect weight and we should always see a waist! He's definitely more active at the lower weight too.
    You can close your eyes to things you don't want to see,
    but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel.

Live Genuinely

Dog Park Attendant cadillactaste's Avatar
    Real Name
    Darlene
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank and Sarge
    Likes (Received)

I recall reading this was a human diet stew...in a different post.

My only concern with this...is for dogs that would have low sugar drops...and possibly head tremors due to their sugar levels dropping...I would just like to mention this...in case ones try this and notice their dog's head would start to shake...that it maybe due to their sugar levels dropping. There is no nutritional value to cabbage...I also wonder about the sodium intake with using canned food...I give my bulldogs "frozen" green beans as suggested by my own vet due to sodium content in canned foods.
    ~ Darlene: 20+ years of being owned by bulldogs. But I can still learn something new from forums and other people's experiences.

Bulldogs: Tank and Sarge

Australian Shepherd: Ahsoka ~ Sarge's sister from another mother...and father

The rest of my zoo:
    1 Pastel Ball Python - No Feet
    2 chinchillas - Nibbles and Fluffy
    2 Ornate Wood turtles- Franklin and Turkish

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kazzy220 View Post
    OK ... so Daddy is Orion .... you'd think we had not fed him in two weeks!! At least I'm not alone in this!!

Really hoping we don't get to the stage where we have to lock Daddy up each meal time to give the other dogs a chance to eat in peace!!

@Libra926 I spoke to soon ... Daddy is now at the stage where we have to lock him up from the other dogs so that he doesn't steal their food!!

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cadillactaste View Post
    No, libras vet recommended her to make this for Vegas so it wasnt a diet stew for people, although I am sure it would be a great one. lol

Dog Park Attendant cadillactaste's Avatar
    Real Name
    Darlene
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank and Sarge
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cali~jenn View Post
    No, libras vet recommended her to make this for Vegas so it wasnt a diet stew for people, although I am sure it would be a great one. lol

Here's the post I read...that made me think it was meant for humans originally...
    http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...stew-diet.html

Originally Posted by rayers
    he looks great! Wonder if Vegas stew works on humans???? I may need to consider that myself ...................hmmmmm

Actually, it was a human recipe! It's a high fiber stew made to make you feel fuller, longer. It wouldn't work on me because I've never bought those ingredients before in my ENTIRE life. I'm not a fan of any of the stuff that goes into it. But, it worked for him. I was actually nervous that the weight loss had occurred due to another reason. I thought maybe he was sick. Really sick. But, blood tests came back good and it turns out that the diet worked. I often find myself looking at him thinking ......he is too skinny. But he isn't. He is so much more playful. He doesn't have a hard time jumping around and rolling around. His back leg was giving him problems before, but now it doesn't seem to hurt.
    I assumed if the vet had given it to him...then there would have been no reasons for the tests that was run due to weight loss. But that is where I got that "theory" of mine...sorry if I misunderstood. Big OOPS on my part.
    ~ Darlene: 20+ years of being owned by bulldogs. But I can still learn something new from forums and other people's experiences.

Bulldogs: Tank and Sarge

Australian Shepherd: Ahsoka ~ Sarge's sister from another mother...and father

The rest of my zoo:
    1 Pastel Ball Python - No Feet
    2 chinchillas - Nibbles and Fluffy
    2 Ornate Wood turtles- Franklin and Turkish

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cadillactaste View Post

My only concern with this...is for dogs that would have low sugar drops...and possibly head tremors due to their sugar levels dropping...I would just like to mention this...in case ones try this and notice their dog's head would start to shake...that it maybe due to their sugar levels dropping. There is no nutritional value to cabbage...I also wonder about the sodium intake with using canned food...I give my bulldogs "frozen" green beans as suggested by my own vet due to sodium content in canned foods.
    We have started using frozen green beans instead of canned. During the summer we grow our own tomatoes to use. And you can always choose the low sodium canned veggies. Also..for the low blood sugar, he is still getting some kibble. The stew is just a filler so they don't always think they are hungry.

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Being all everyday ingredients it would work for both people and dogs. Unfortunately we are in control of what we choose to eat so in my case this diet would NEVER work for me. hahaha

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads