Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FAQ: How did you survive puppy teething phase?

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: FAQ: How did you survive puppy teething phase?

Lots of re-directing, frozen chew toys, and training basic commands like sit to get his mind off the teething.

When all that failed, there was always Bitter Apple. We sprayed it on our fingers- never failed.. he hated the stuff..lol

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    I saw this photo when originally posted! It is priceless! I don't know how @TheLost does it-but he is in the right place at the right time with the camera(evidence)
    Kevin is like a shadow... always underfoot. Due to me claiming him as 'My Dog' there are NUMEROUS times i don't take a picture because if there is proof he destroyed something... i'm somehow guilty by association! I just hide the evidence or blame Molley

Quote Originally Posted by nycbullymama View Post
    Lots of re-directing, frozen chew toys, and training basic commands like sit to get his mind off the teething.

When all that failed, there was always Bitter Apple. We sprayed it on our fingers- never failed.. he hated the stuff..lol
    +1 to the Bitter Apple. All of my wife's high heeled shoes are covered with the stuff... except the ones that have mysteriously vanished while Kevin was unsupervised-i-didnt-see-anything-not-my-fault.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

@TheLost Uh-oh Kevin is not into high heels is he? Better check the bottom of the toy box
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Drool Catcher Become a 4 Paw Member Seline Weiskopff's Avatar
    Country
    united states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    molly
    Likes (Received)

Well its nice to find out im not alone! Shark phase really makes sense. MOLLY is only 12weeks old so Im guessing I have a long road ahead. She has been getting better ive been getting her outside for longer waks seemz to burn the energy off lol

Sending Bully Wiggles Your Way
    I'm a little bulldog short and stout.... tip me over and my tongue falls out

5. Likes ShiningDiadem liked this post
    Country
    No Permanent Address
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mr.Ziggy
    Likes (Received)

I have tons of bruises and a few cuts to show that i got a shark baby instead of a baby bully. Lol!!!

I am surviving puppy shark phase by tons of redirecting woth a chewtoy and lots of praises. It doesnt work all the time but i can see that he is getting the idea.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Aubie
    Likes (Received)

I guess we r lucky! Our Aubie has gotten a few charger cords and the bottom of the kitchen table chairs. But other than that he chews on his toys. He will try to chew our hands but we redirect him to other things. Also we will feed him ice. He LOVES it and it helps numb his mouth and make it feel better. We do kennel him with his toys at night and when we r gone from the house. But he has never touched a shoe and thank God has not chewed up cushions and furniture!! I would die!!

Real Name
    Tiara
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Capone
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Duong View Post
    Patrick is 3months and he goes through phases where he's dead set on biting my hands or pant legs. Nothing can stop him even his favorite bully stick. Hope this phase goes by quick
    Capone turned 3 months today and he is set on grabbing my pant legs as well or anything that is moving (shoes). I have the hardest time walking without tripping over him. He has been really snappy lately at my hands and I don't know how to break that habit. It's starting to get worse now that his jaws are getting stronger. I didn't mind so much when he was younger.

Bully Bootie Duty betterxthanxnew's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tasha Penwell
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Effie & Josie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ShiningDiadem View Post
    Capone turned 3 months today and he is set on grabbing my pant legs as well or anything that is moving (shoes). I have the hardest time walking without tripping over him. He has been really snappy lately at my hands and I don't know how to break that habit. It's starting to get worse now that his jaws are getting stronger. I didn't mind so much when he was younger.
    It will get better, I promise! At 3 months Effie was a terror. Our arms looked like we were attacked by rabid vampires or something. She turns 18 weeks this weekend, and it has finally started to slow down. She's still very nippy- I have to warn strangers and children. Most of the time she wants to give kisses, but you have a 50/50 shot that she could also be trying to eat you LOL. Effie used to love grabbing my pants legs. I would stop walking, remove her teeth from my jeans, and stick a nylabone in her mouth. She still loves shoes- we have to keep them put up. We tried using a water bottle at one point too...but I think she actually liked it. She's a weirdo. The only thing that seems to be working is redirection, and consistently showing her that we are the alpha. If she's on my lap and goes to bite me, I tell her no firmly, put her on the ground, and then ignore her for about 30 seconds. Then I let her back up. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Eventually she figures out that if she bites then she goes on the floor. It's a lot of work and repetition. It gets worse before it gets better (like you said, they start growing and those jaws get stronger- and more painful!)...they're very stubborn. But keeping working, and I swear it will eventually slow down and fade away! That's what everyone told me. I didn't believe them. But, turns out- they were right!
    "Be the person your dog thinks you are"

Real Name
    Tiara
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Capone
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the encouragement @betterxthanxnew! Capone likes the water bottle too (hilarious). I have redirected with his nylabone, kong, and rope. His toys will grab his attention for only a moment then it's back to what he really wants -- skin, lol. But I will hang in there and stay consistent. Pray for us, lol!!!

11. Likes betterxthanxnew liked this post
    Bully Bootie Duty betterxthanxnew's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tasha Penwell
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Effie & Josie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ShiningDiadem View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement @betterxthanxnew! Capone likes the water bottle too (hilarious). I have redirected with his nylabone, kong, and rope. His toys will grab his attention for only a moment then it's back to what he really wants -- skin, lol. But I will hang in there and stay consistent. Pray for us, lol!!!
    LOL! Definitely praying for you!
    We thought we had brought home a shark there for a while. Sometimes, there's nothing you can do besides just keep redirecting (even when it seems like it doesn't work!). When we get frustrated (or just need a break!) we give her bully sticks, or edible nylabones. Of course she has to be supervised while she's chowing down on those- but it did offer our poor arms a break! Also, we dampen washcloths and freeze them, she loves to chew on those! I imagine it feels good on her sore teething gums.
    "Be the person your dog thinks you are"

13. Likes ShiningDiadem liked this post
    The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

How did we survive? Very easy........we downsized everything.....no shower curtains, we now have shower doors that side left and right. My girls eat curtains of every make and model........my girls treasure the taste of so many things (furniture, wood,,,,,we do love wood of any make or model, leather,,,,they just cannot contain themselves, water hoses,,,,,,,bring on their true love for water sports, cabnets, toys, magazines, toliet paper, laundry,,,,,both clean and dirty, shoes,,,,,,augh they just cannot live without those, plants have to be edible, baseboards etc) the list is endless and they continue to embark on their chewing exploits daily. The secret.......don't leave them alone unsupervised......ever!!! If you have to leave them unsupervised crate them until someone has eyes on them at all times. They will trick you and be good for a long time and gain your confidence to leave them out while you are away and you will come home to your house in shambles. HAHAHA!!!! Love them with all your heart, watch them with all your might, and enjoy them for life!! Good luck!

Real Name
    Brian
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buster
    Likes (Received)

Between Buster biting us and potty training only working when HE wants to do it, we keep warning him we are sending him back to his mommy. He just keeps on attacking us and our older dog. He wants to play with the older dog but he has an eye infection and hasn't been feeling well so he hasn't be in the area Buster is allowed to be free in. But when they cross paths Buster keeps on trying to get him to play. I think he takes out in his aggression on us.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads