Thread: Dog Food Ratings & Recommended Dog food choices

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Dog Food Ratings & Recommended Dog food choices

@Bekah Bardwell Fromm can be hard to find. I suggest trying petflow.com, use the code ENGLISHBULLDOG and get free shipping!

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

i just put my sammy on natural choice chicken meal rice and oatmeal blend do u think thats a good food for him im new at all this had him on royal canin but herd alot about natural choice so i switched him slowly?

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

well personally i dont think much of nutro natural choice if thats what food you are referring to. i dont think much of nutro at all but if you must feed it the nutro ultra is the only one id even consider. I would feed natural balance over nutro but its a personal choice and ive heard of bullys doing great on this food. it can sometimes be daunting finding a food to feed your bully so if this works for you then great but there are better foods out there.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Zeus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nybadboy11 View Post
    i just put my sammy on natural choice chicken meal rice and oatmeal blend do u think thats a good food for him im new at all this had him on royal canin but herd alot about natural choice so i switched him slowly?
    My reply will be a little biased, because I do not like any food that has grains. I prefer grain free or raw.

I have a question too. Many grain free foods have high protein - ranging from 32-40+. When I fed my Pit Bull, I never went higher than 36% protein and never over 1.3% calcium. Can this apply to the EB too, or maybe not cuz he is a lower energy dog?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Scuttle
    Likes (Received)

We've always fed our Golden Retriever Iams. When he came to us he was on Purina and was doing very poorly. So when we got out EB we switched her to Iams also. She was on Science Diet, that was what the ACPS feeds all their dogs, and didn't seem to like/eat it as much. But since we switched to Iams Naturals she eats all her meals and is doing really well on it. Sailor, our golden, too hasn't shown any signs of an allergic reaction. (Ironically Sailor has the food allergies in this house.)

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    By many names depending on the situation?
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by zeusmommy View Post
    My reply will be a little biased, because I do not like any food that has grains. I prefer grain free or raw.

I have a question too. Many grain free foods have high protein - ranging from 32-40+. When I fed my Pit Bull, I never went higher than 36% protein and never over 1.3% calcium. Can this apply to the EB too, or maybe not cuz he is a lower energy dog?
    Bulldogs have different nurtitional needs than other dogs. There are lots of breed of dogs that can all eat the same food without any problems. You could have several different breeds in a household and could all eat the same dog food.

Bulldogs are different. There are health concerns and genetic concerns that have to been considered.
    There are a lot of similarites among all bulldogs, but not for ALL bulldogs. Why are some people allergic to peanuts and others are not?
    What does YOUR bulldog need? Not based upon a list or ratings, but rather what does YOUR bulldog need? The lists and opinions are a great place to start since there are SO MANY brands of food out there.

A premium brand will be better. The bag will cost more, but you feed less so the cost per serving is about the same as the cheaper priced foods. But it is the health issues that have to be considered.

I met a breeder the other day who bred and showed bulldogs as far back as over 30 years ago. She make a very honest and revealing comment. She said that she is responsible for the chicken allergy. Why did she say that? She said that back in those days, the only feeds that were available were BEEF or CHICKEN and everyone fed chicken. Along the way bulldogs have developed a sensativity to chicken. With so many other brands available, those bulldogs that are sensative to chicken need not be affected.

And the same goes for grain. While not ALL bullies are affected, most are.

So a premium grain free, no-chicken, limited carb, limited protein brand is recomended. And there are more and more brands that are developing new formulas.

Pick a good brand, watch for results (check the poo also !), consult with your vet, do allery testing, switch slowly.
    B&B~ABEBD

"Opinions are FREE, Suggestions are TRUSTED, Advice is RESPECTED" bwl @2013

Bulldog(s) Names
    Princess "Katie"
    Likes (Received)

I am in desperate need of help. I have a 2 year old female bulldog. We used to feed her Royal Canin Bulldog formula, but noticed that she was getting ear infections, which I was told was from the dog food. We then switched her to Taste of the Wild, she really likes the prairie formula. We have since noticed that she is having a lot of eye boogers as well as reddish brown stain in the wrinkles around the corner of her nose, between her toes, in her ears, and around her pee pee area. What is this is? And should we look to change her food? If so, what brand is recommended. She doesn't seem to be bothered by this, but I know this can't be good. The vet did comment on her toes and says it looks like a mild allergy reaction that may have to be treated with medicine if it persists. HELP!!
    Life is happier when you have a bulldog.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Meatball
    Likes (Received)

I had Meatball on Blue, but my vet told me to switch to Royal Canine as it has everything a bulldog need.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis View Post
    I had Meatball on Blue, but my vet told me to switch to Royal Canine as it has everything a bulldog need.
    Nooooooooooooo.... it is junk food.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

@Katrik the high prarie has so many different things in it could be anyone of them causing it. try the pacific stream of the sierra mountain one and if there is still these things then you can figure its not the protein its the potato. then you can look for a new food. @Phyllis if they are doing fine on blue then id leave it alone. royal canin is lots of money for junk. ive had sarah on it and she had tear stains and all kinda things going on
    Last edited by cowsmom; 01-21-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis View Post
    Royal Canin is what Chunk was on when we got him ... ear infections, skin infections, tear stains, runny poop ... as soon as we switched him off, all those things cleared up! It's junk.
    You can close your eyes to things you don't want to see,
    but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel.

Live Genuinely

Bulldog(s) Names
    Meatball
    Likes (Received)

wow - I took meatball to a vet that is suppose to deal with bulldogs & they recommended it, stating there is scientific proof that it has everything a bulldog needs. I'm so confused......originally he was on wellness & stool was very loose, then switched to blue & he was much better. I'm going to look at the food rating & find another food. Thanks everyone!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Remove Ads