Thread: Senior dog food question

Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Levi
    Likes (Received)

Default Senior dog food question

So,,, was at my local pet store,,Feeders Supply,, where Levi actually has his own fan club there,, no kiddn’ lol. While he was picking out a new squeaky to drive me insane with a couple came in with a magnificent 3 year old EB. Amazing body definition and gorgeous shiny coat. I asked them what they fed their boy and how great shape he was in and they replied that at the age of 2 they started feeding him a grain free high quality “Senior” dog food to keep his weight in check and have done so ever since. I have no interest in feeding Levi a senior food at 13 months old or not till later in life but was wondering if this is a good idea or no and if anyone else here does this at a young age. Levi does GREAT on Victors and that the only brand I have fed him starting at 8 weeks old. I had not heard of this before and was wondering if anyone else feeds their younger EB senior food ? And again,, I have no interest in feeding Levi a senior food at 13 months,, just curious if this is o.k or not cause their EB was amazing looking

2. Likes helsonwheels, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Senior dog food question

Follow your gut. You’re totally right. Never feed Senior dog food to a young dog. Your dog will be missing certain nutrients. You know even Senior dog food shouldn’t even be sold. Total sales gimmick. Puppy food is different cause it has more fats, different supplements etc. Even better, feed raw. As if in the wild they have a choice of senior food. They eat whatever they kill. Shiny coat is basically oils. You want your dog to have a shiny coat, add extra virgin olive oil or even a teaspoon of butter(real butter) to their meals. I use EVOO. I also feed them as a noon snack wild caught fish like sardines, mackerel or tripe the green smelly one that comes frozen. It’s like human hair, eat the right oils n fat you’ll have shiny hair, no flakes n no dry skin.

Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Levi
    Likes (Received)

Levi snacks consist of his favorites,, frozen green beans, apples, raw carrots. I’ve been feeding him Victors Beef Meal / Brown Rice Formula since 8 weeks old and he has done FANTASTIC with it so I want to stay with Victors brand. His skin and coat are great but adding a teaspoon of butter interest me,, I know he would enjoy it also,,,lol

5. Likes 2BullyMama, helsonwheels liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Same... never heard of anyone doing it, but the is always a first

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kyredneck View Post
    Levi snacks consist of his favorites,, frozen green beans, apples, raw carrots. I’ve been feeding him Victors Beef Meal / Brown Rice Formula since 8 weeks old and he has done FANTASTIC with it so I want to stay with Victors brand. His skin and coat are great but adding a teaspoon of butter interest me,, I know he would enjoy it also,,,lol
    I used every other day butter for my German Shepherd had a beautiful shiny coat. For these 2 I use EVOO cause also every other day as my husband gives them a toast in the morning while I’m still asleep. He’s up in the weee hrs for work. I know he does even if he says no. When I get up both are licking their faces till no tomorrow.

Remove Ads