Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 39

Thread: At A Loss... What Should I Feed Her?

  1. #13
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    2,457
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buster 2013 - Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 RIP
    Likes (Received)
    3205

    Default Re: At A Loss... What Should I Feed Her?

    Another question or two. You say you have tried many foods, how often have you switched? Did you transition slowly? I know how frustrating finding the right food can be, been there!

    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

  2. #14
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    26
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izellah
    Likes (Received)
    39

    Default Re: At A Loss... What Should I Feed Her?

    Yes, I do. I transition for 1 - 2 weeks depending on her poops and if she's passing a lot of gas and just her general response to the food. Then, she will stay on that one food for at least a month, sometimes a bit more. But if she's having a really hard time with it, we take her off of it and go back to rice, chicken and cooked vegetables.

  3. Likes 1Chumly liked this post
  4. #15
    Dog Show Judge
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    2,005
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)
    2133

    Default Re: At A Loss... What Should I Feed Her?

    We were talking about home cooking just yesterday and today in this thread http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...tremors-2.html
    @Cbrugs just started using a kibble made in Toronto that looks good called Open Farm - she's trying the ancient grains but they also have cooked food, but that'll probably be too pricey. https://openfarmpet.com/collections/dog-food . Carna4 is also a very good quality Canadian brand.
    Check out this link for other Canadian brands
    https://www.canadianpetconnection.ca...s-canada-2020/


    I had my dog on a dehydrated raw food from Petsmart called EasyRaw, and I've also tried Canisource Grandcru dehydrated raw kibble from Global Pet Foods, but my dog does better on frozen raw. I order the frozen raw online from bigcountryraw or back2raw and get that delivered for free.

  5. Likes Cbrugs liked this post
  6. #16
    Harvey's Executive Assistant Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    harveyspecter's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Yorba Linda (The OC), California
    Posts
    5,482
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harvey Specter
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    4474

    Default Re: At A Loss... What Should I Feed Her?

    I used to feed Fromm - all kinds of the four star nutritional variety (beef frittata, salmon tunalini, gamebird, lamb and lentil, etc.) I have tried every single one flavor. My dog eventually have always had the itches on every single one, relentlessly scratching himself that we had to resort to apoquel and cytopoint. While they worked, i figured there has got to be a better option.

    My dog is also on a daily regimen of Nutavet and cosequin for his joints. I figured, the kibble is one of the non natural thing that he consumes so it must be the source of his itches. We decided to feed him boiled chicken breast, with a side of veggies, a mix of boiled kale, celeries, carrots, beans and so on. We also serve him a side of fruits, apples, watermelon, persimmons, cantaloupe. Whatever is available. Eversince, his most of his itches disappeared or reduced to a minimum.

    Or the most important thing, he is no longer on either apoquel or cytopoint. Those drugs are not cheap either.
    Hug your bully today

  7. Likes 1Chumly liked this post
  8. #17
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Cbrugs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,841
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog) and Ella Mae
    Likes (Received)
    6689

    Default Re: At A Loss... What Should I Feed Her?

    Two of my dogs are full raw. My youngest is getting Open Farm kibble and has been doing good on it. I tried Acana as well before with Louie and it was too rich for him.

    Sorry if youíve already said but how much are you feeding? Too much food can cause loose stool. There can also be a certain ingredient that just isnít tolerable.

    For kibble, I always look for a limited ingredient, single protein formula.

    Are you giving any probiotics at all?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #18
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    26
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izellah
    Likes (Received)
    39

    Default Re: At A Loss... What Should I Feed Her?

    I feed her about 2 - 3 cups of food a day because of her activity level, she burns more calories. I tried cutting back because I know too much food can give them a runny stool but when I did, she started losing too much weight and appeared abnormally skinny. Wellness Core Six only has 6 main ingredients and one protein so I thought she would tolerate it but she's been on it for about 2 weeks now and she's pooping more often and uncontrollably which is abnormal for her.

    Right now, she isn't on any probiotics. The most I give her is an omega-3 gel tablet with every meal and that hasn't affect her negatively. I was thinking about getting goat milk for her. Any brands of probiotics you'd recommend?

    Has anyone who cooks for their dog tried this website? Balanceit.com

  10. #19
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Cbrugs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,841
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog) and Ella Mae
    Likes (Received)
    6689

    Default Re: At A Loss... What Should I Feed Her?

    Quote Originally Posted by GracefulLily View Post
    I feed her about 2 - 3 cups of food a day because of her activity level, she burns more calories. I tried cutting back because I know too much food can give them a runny stool but when I did, she started losing too much weight and appeared abnormally skinny. Wellness Core Six only has 6 main ingredients and one protein so I thought she would tolerate it but she's been on it for about 2 weeks now and she's pooping more often and uncontrollably which is abnormal for her.

    Right now, she isn't on any probiotics. The most I give her is an omega-3 gel tablet with every meal and that hasn't affect her negatively. I was thinking about getting goat milk for her. Any brands of probiotics you'd recommend?

    Has anyone who cooks for their dog tried this website? Balanceit.com
    I wonder if she could have leaky gut or IBD.

    For probiotics, I normally rotate between goatís milk, fermented fish stock, fresh sauerkraut (found in the refrigerated section of store) and unbleached green tripe. If you want a dog specific one, @Dollys Owner can tell you some name.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #20
    Dog Show Judge
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    2,005
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)
    2133

    Default Re: At A Loss... What Should I Feed Her?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cbrugs View Post
    I wonder if she could have leaky gut or IBD.

    For probiotics, I normally rotate between goatís milk, fermented fish stock, fresh sauerkraut (found in the refrigerated section of store) and unbleached green tripe. If you want a dog specific one, @Dollys Owner can tell you some name.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I like to give my dog water kefir grains, but I used to give her Probiotic Miracle. That's @oscarmayer 's favourite one too. I've also made my own sauerkraut, it's very easy to make if you want to save some money and don't mind cutting up some cabbage.

  12. #21
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    26
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izellah
    Likes (Received)
    39

    Default Re: At A Loss... What Should I Feed Her?

    What test would have to be done to determine if she has leaky gut or IBD? She was at the vet not too long ago when the diarrhea got really bad. They gave her medication, did blood work, and took an x-ray. The vet recommended bland food until the diarrhea subsided because they couldn't find anything unusual and said she appeared to be in really good health otherwise. It went away completely when we started her on chicken and rice (with fruits and vegetables on the side) but as soon as she went back on the dry food, it started back up again so we threw it out. Thank you @Cbrugs and @Dollys Owner. I will do some more research into the probiotics you have mentioned. The goat milk and tripe would be easier to get because my local grocery store sells organic goat milk and I can get tripe from a pet store not too far from here.

  13. #22
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Cbrugs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,841
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog) and Ella Mae
    Likes (Received)
    6689

    Default Re: At A Loss... What Should I Feed Her?

    Quote Originally Posted by GracefulLily View Post
    What test would have to be done to determine if she has leaky gut or IBD? She was at the vet not too long ago when the diarrhea got really bad. They gave her medication, did blood work, and took an x-ray. The vet recommended bland food until the diarrhea subsided because they couldn't find anything unusual and said she appeared to be in really good health otherwise. It went away completely when we started her on chicken and rice (with fruits and vegetables on the side) but as soon as she went back on the dry food, it started back up again so we threw it out. Thank you @Cbrugs and @Dollys Owner. I will do some more research into the probiotics you have mentioned. The goat milk and tripe would be easier to get because my local grocery store sells organic goat milk and I can get tripe from a pet store not too far from here.
    Here are a couple articles:

    https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.co...drome-in-dogs/

    https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/he...r-dogs-health/

    https://bluepearlvet.com/medical-art...dogs-and-cats/

    https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-p...isease-in-dogs

  14. #23
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    oscarmayer's Avatar
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    3,564
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, & MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    7594

    Default Re: At A Loss... What Should I Feed Her?

    Not wanting to dismiss any of the suggestions made by other members...but has she been checked for worms?

    Who says Bulldogs can't fly?

  15. Likes Cbrugs liked this post
  16. #24
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    26
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izellah
    Likes (Received)
    39

    Default Re: At A Loss... What Should I Feed Her?

    She hasn't been checked for worms but she's been dewormed a few times.

    Could worms be causing this?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •