Need some advice on the raw food change...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
AVC will in a way marinate the meat and brake down the proteins and it will be very much edible even though it's been in the room temperature for a day. The food I feed is thawed in the freezer for 24 hours and then fermented in the room temperature for another 24 hours... then they eat it. Sometimes if there is some left in the morning I'll add some AVC and feed the rest in the evening.

Learn something new all the time here... thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
AVC will in a way marinate the meat and brake down the proteins and it will be very much edible even though it's been in the room temperature for a day. The food I feed is thawed in the freezer for 24 hours and then fermented in the room temperature for another 24 hours... then they eat it. Sometimes if there is some left in the morning I'll add some AVC and feed the rest in the evening.

Do you mean apple cider vinegar- that's ACV ???? I would be more interested in using the ACV, old kambucha that's gone acidic, sauerkraut juice, yoghurt, or kefir as a marinade on the meat and leaving it in fridge overnight thus tenderizing the meat. [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] may have some good recipes for this.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Do you mean apple cider vinegar- that's ACV ???? I would be more interested in using the ACV, old kambucha that's gone acidic, sauerkraut juice, yoghurt, or kefir as a marinade on the meat and leaving it in fridge overnight thus tenderizing the meat. [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] may have some good recipes for this.

Yes itā€™s apple cider vinegar.....

I donā€™t really have recipes as I never really tried fermenting anything yet. Just donā€™t have the time right now. But that being said, there is so much info on the net even videos. I recall seeing those famous series...ā€œFermenting for Dummies ā€œ Iā€™m serious I really saw it lol... Fermentation been around for thousands of years. I certainly do have an interest in it. I will eventually get my hands in it when I move.... :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
SysmƤ
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Do you mean apple cider vinegar- that's ACV ???? I would be more interested in using the ACV, old kambucha that's gone acidic, sauerkraut juice, yoghurt, or kefir as a marinade on the meat and leaving it in fridge overnight thus tenderizing the meat. @helsonwheels may have some good recipes for this.

Yes, sorry, got the letters mixed. Apple cider vinegar. We've got on interesting ACV product here that also has red wine vinegar, garlic and lingonberrys. I take it myself too.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

Oh WOW... I wonder if the princess would eat it, do most dogs like the taste of ACV?!!

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I make 2 weeks' worth of food at a time, put them in little containers and throw in the chest freezer. Then each night, I take out a couple containers and throw in the fridge so that they thaw enough for when it's time to eat.

I need to do that... I'm just buying the kibbles right now.

Do you use the patties? I was shocked... Walter needs 6 cups of raw per day, I've only been giving him 3 because I've been giving him kibble in the morning. Good grief, I will need a new freezer... I guess it IS more economical to buy the frozen patties.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I need to do that... I'm just buying the kibbles right now.

Do you use the patties? I was shocked... Walter needs 6 cups of raw per day, I've only been giving him 3 because I've been giving him kibble in the morning. Good grief, I will need a new freezer... I guess it IS more economical to buy the frozen patties.

Louie gets 2 cups of kibble in the am and 9.6 ounces of raw in the pm. The commercial frozen raw I buy is either patties or chubs. Sometimes chubs are cheaper. You can also incorporate different brands, I use a variety. You should also check to see if you have a local raw food co-op in your area. I even get the commercial brands at a little bit of a discount than in a store.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
SysmƤ
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
My dogs eat it with no hesitation. Worth a try?

Oh WOW... I wonder if the princess would eat it, do most dogs like the taste of ACV?!!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
My dogs eat it with no hesitation. Worth a try?

If I put ACV in their drinking water, they won't touch it. But I have put in food before with no issue.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie gets 2 cups of kibble in the am and 9.6 ounces of raw in the pm. The commercial frozen raw I buy is either patties or chubs. Sometimes chubs are cheaper. You can also incorporate different brands, I use a variety. You should also check to see if you have a local raw food co-op in your area. I even get the commercial brands at a little bit of a discount than in a store.

I honestly don't know if we have a local raw food co-op here... I DO live in the sticks. Nashville might have something, I will have to look into it...
I gave Walter his overnight thawed in the fridge kibbles... he was SO excited!!! Lol

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Just wanted to update you all on the raw feeding...

Walter LOVES his raw, I've been letting it "thaw" overnight in the fridge and he is literally jumping up and down at dinnertime. AND here's the craziest part... NO more eye goops in the morning!!! His hair has completely grown back finally (it has taken months) and he has NOT had an interdigital cyst in weeks now. It's hard to believe what a difference raw feeding has made for him... I guess I should've done this years ago Ugh!!!

I'm going to switch his proteins for next weeks feedings... I do have a question though. Have you guys stopped giving purchased treats since you are feeding raw? I do buy grain-free treats from Merrick and they love them... they will eat veggies and fruits though.

I have yet to start Willow on the raw train... she still seems uninterested in it, maybe one day... Lol

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names

Walter LOVES his raw, I've been letting it "thaw" overnight in the fridge and he is literally jumping up and down at dinnertime. AND here's the craziest part... NO more eye goops in the morning!!! His hair has completely grown back finally (it has taken months) and he has NOT had an interdigital cyst in weeks now. It's hard to believe what a difference raw feeding has made for him... I guess I should've done this years ago Ugh!!!

I'm going to switch his proteins for next weeks feedings... I do have a question though. Have you guys stopped giving purchased treats since you are feeding raw? I do buy grain-free treats from Merrick and they love them... they will eat veggies and fruits though.

I have yet to start Willow on the raw train... she still seems uninterested in it, maybe one day... Lol

That is fantastic news! So glad to hear how much it is helping!

I still give treats. Mine are usually just freeze dried, single ingredient ones from Vital Essentials, PureBites or NW Naturals.

If Willow has no issues, I wouldnā€™t worry about trying to get her to eat raw. I am surprised she has no interest in it lol.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Awesome!! I give Stella and chewy meal toppers as the treat or small pieces of fruit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I still give little treats. I give dry sardines or dry liver. But a noon snack is a frozen wild caught herring.

Have you tried putting a bit of raw as a topper over the kibbles for Willow or mixing it all together? Like Citti said odd a dog donā€™t like raw. I know Nyala is now refusing frozen. I need to semi thaw it or she wonā€™t eat it.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That is fantastic news! So glad to hear how much it is helping!

I still give treats. Mine are usually just freeze dried, single ingredient ones from Vital Essentials, PureBites or NW Naturals.

If Willow has no issues, I wouldnā€™t worry about trying to get her to eat raw. I am surprised she has no interest in it lol.

Thanks for the info on the treats!!! I'm still going to look into the co-op raw food, right now I'm slammed w/fall break and my grandson coming today!!! Willow just cracks me up, maybe I need to tell her that she really IS a dog!!! Lol

Members online