Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice Please

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Ollie
    Likes (Received)

Default Advice Please

I've been feeding Zignature dog food for the last 18 months, generally switching between lamb, duck and venison. I have a diverse dog population...15 yr old Terrier, 9 year old Havanese, 5 year old Chihuahua and 7 month old Fatty Fatty Two By Four Daphne. We supplement with carrots, peas, Mixed Vegetables, boiled chicken or beef and hard boiled egg, just a smattering to keep it interesting. None of the older dogs, even before Daphne when they were self feeds had ever gained an ounce. Our vet is always most impressed. None of them, including Daphne has ever even had a hint of an allergy.
    I have to feed everyone the same food unless someone develops an allergy. It's just so much easier. Here's my question...I like to switch flavours. The flavor below has a lot of ingredients. Would this melange of ingredients be risky allergy wise even though that's never been an issue here?

https://www.chewy.com/zignature-zsse...tein/dp/102602

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog) and Ella Mae
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Advice Please

I personally like a single protein source because then if an issue does arise, you can figure it out more quickly. But that doesn't mean you can't try out this flavor. And if none of your dogs have any allergies, it might be fine.

I was actually thinking about starting Louie on Zignature and had been wondering if you can rotate the flavors without any issues. And after reading your post, it sounds like they are rotational. So you just switch flavors when a bag is done? If I don't do Zignature, I will probably do Fromm as I know that can rotated as well.

4. Likes ddnene, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

just curious if you saw (besides the added duck which I think is great!) anything added that you may not like? Im the odd ball here that rotates foods and it has worked well for us, so my thoughts would be heck yea... I think though so many feel that if it works why switch... I surly don't know, but will be interesting to hear

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

I feel like it it ain't broke,why fix it! They are doing well-why take chances. Also possibly 32% protein is quite high for those dogs?
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

7. Likes Texas Carol, Cbrugs, oscarmayer, TyTysmom liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Ollie
    Likes (Received)

Default Advice Please

Quote Originally Posted by Cbrugs View Post
    I personally like a single protein source because then if an issue does arise, you can figure it out more quickly. But that doesn't mean you can't try out this flavor. And if none of your dogs have any allergies, it might be fine.

I was actually thinking about starting Louie on Zignature and had been wondering if you can rotate the flavors without any issues. And after reading your post, it sounds like they are rotational. So you just switch flavors when a bag is done? If I don't do Zignature, I will probably do Fromm as I know that can rotated as well.
    Yes, I switch the flavor monthly or every other month. We just finished up a bag of venison. Venison is the most expensive at $92 per 27lb bag, Kangaroo is $73 and the others generally around $60. My dogs love the Zignature. In the past they've been in Taste of the Wild and Earthbound.

9. Likes Cbrugs liked this post
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Ollie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    I feel like it it ain't broke,why fix it! They are doing well-why take chances. Also possibly 32% protein is quite high for those dogs?
    Yes I was worried a bit about the high protein

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Ollie
    Likes (Received)

Default Advice Please

Quote Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
    just curious if you saw (besides the added duck which I think is great!) anything added that you may not like? Im the odd ball here that rotates foods and it has worked well for us, so my thoughts would be heck yea... I think though so many feel that if it works why switch... I surly don't know, but will be interesting to hear
    There were just so many ingredients it sort of overwhelmed me. I don't feed the fish varieties because they get fish breath. I see that the multi source has 2 kinds of fish so that sort of attracted me, not pure fish just some mixed in.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
    Likes (Received)

My thoughts are that you give differing flavors now by rotating 3 different ones
    along with supplementation of veggies and it's working great for all. Also concerned
    with 32 % protein for non working (low energy) house dogs, I wouldn't chance it.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

13. Likes Manydogs, oscarmayer, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Dog Show Judge
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)

I don't understand why there is a concern about high protein dry kibble dog food such as this food with 32% protein or Orijen with 36% protein, but not about dehydrated raw food such as Vital Essentials with 48% protein. The high protein dog foods have less carbohydrates which means your dog will be less likely to have yeast infections. Of course if your dog is in kidney failure he should be on a low protein diet,

Quote Originally Posted by Daphne DuMaurier View Post
    Yes I was worried a bit about the high protein

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buster 2013 - Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 RIP
    Likes (Received)

I switch Monty between the Zignature Duck and the Salmon. When one bag is finished, I just go to the other protein. He has had no problems with this at all. I decided that 30% protein was the cut-off point. I haven't tried any of the other Zignature proteins yet as I was on such a merry-go-round before trying to find a food that suited him that I am scared to try! I am very happy with this food and hope it stays that way.

Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

16. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Ollie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 1Chumly View Post
    I switch Monty between the Zignature Duck and the Salmon. When one bag is finished, I just go to the other protein. He has had no problems with this at all. I decided that 30% protein was the cut-off point. I haven't tried any of the other Zignature proteins yet as I was on such a merry-go-round before trying to find a food that suited him that I am scared to try! I am very happy with this food and hope it stays that way.
    I had a discussion yesterday with the pet store owner. He said Zignature is his best seller to folks who are "label readers" and have specific breed dogs. My dogs really loved the venison, but at $92 a 27lb bag and four dogs, I can't do it all the time. I did notice that within the last couple of weeks Daphne's eye stains have gone away...hmmm...we'll see what happens when she's on the duck again this time.

18. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

I use Fromm grain-free 4 star brand, and I will switch up the proteins... but like you I have noticed issues w/Walter so I've been avoiding any poultry. I need to stick to one bag at a time and see what is going on. Wally does great w/beef and lamb, but any of the pork varieties and there seems to be issues.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads