Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
The Duck says 'Complete and balanced diet for Puppy to Adult Dogs'. It's on the front of the bag. Just checked, they all say it except for the venison and salmon. So, apart from those two, it does sound like an all stage food. When in doubt, call them up and ask them! Please let us know if you do.

Oh, does it? I was looking online and couldn't find anything about it being an all stage food. It does look like it has a little bit less calcium and phosphorous than Fromm 4 Star. It doesn't look like a significant amount less but I wonder if there is a certain amount a puppy should be getting.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
The Duck says 'Complete and balanced diet for Puppy to Adult Dogs'. It's on the front of the bag. Just checked, they all say it except for the venison and salmon. So, apart from those two, it does sound like an all stage food. When in doubt, call them up and ask them! Please let us know if you do.

Okay, I called them and they said that all of their formulas are for all life stages.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Oh, does it? I was looking online and couldn't find anything about it being an all stage food. It does look like it has a little bit less calcium and phosphorous than Fromm 4 Star. It doesn't look like a significant amount less but I wonder if there is a certain amount a puppy should be getting.

After reading this I looked at Chewy's website where the bags say puppy to adult but on Zignature's website, they don't! Hmmm. So I called them and they said all their foods are all stage food and once on Zignature, you can rotate between any recipe. As to the calcium and phosphorous, someone else will have to chime in on that as I'm afraid I don't have a clue!

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, I called them and they said that all of their formulas are for all life stages.

Oops, you posted while I was typing!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
In large breed puppies you want to slow down growth, as dog will eventually hit full size, but if he obtains that size too fast there will be orthopedic problems later. So you really don't want to overfeed a puppy ( definitely no loose poos ), and you don't want too little or too much calcium. Many breeders don't even use puppy food if the calcium and phosphorus percentages are good in the adult food. From what I've seen the Zignature foods are too low in calcium and phosphorus, but I haven't looked at them all. Another interesting fact about Zignature is that they don't make their own dog food, they have co-packers, (dry dog food made by Tuffy’s or KLN in Minnesota and performance Pet in South Dakota prepares the canned dog foods ) but so far never a recall.

Target percentages for large breed puppies on a dry matter basis How to Choose the Best Large Breed Puppy Food | Dog Food Advisor :
1.2 to 1.8% calcium

1.0 to 1.6% phosphorus

Calcium-to-phosphorus ratio 1:1 to 1.8:1

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
2017-04-13 (1).png

Dollys Owner,

So, according to Dog Food Advisor, does this meet the parameters you stated above? As I stated before, I am clueless about all this and I am trying to figure it out!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
In large breed puppies you want to slow down growth, as dog will eventually hit full size, but if he obtains that size too fast there will be orthopedic problems later. So you really don't want to overfeed a puppy ( definitely no loose poos ), and you don't want too little or too much calcium. Many breeders don't even use puppy food if the calcium and phosphorus percentages are good in the adult food. From what I've seen the Zignature foods are too low in calcium and phosphorus, but I haven't looked at them all. Another interesting fact about Zignature is that they don't make their own dog food, they have co-packers, (dry dog food made by Tuffy’s or KLN in Minnesota and performance Pet in South Dakota prepares the canned dog foods ) but so far never a recall.

Target percentages for large breed puppies on a dry matter basis How to Choose the Best Large Breed Puppy Food | Dog Food Advisor :
1.2 to 1.8% calcium

1.0 to 1.6% phosphorus

Calcium-to-phosphorus ratio 1:1 to 1.8:1

My breeder doesn't give puppy food, straight to adult. It looks like Fromm has a good calcium/phosphorus percentage. I plan on doing kibble for a couple of months and then will probably switch to Grandma Lucy's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I think Grandma Lucy's is good choice, since it's freeze dried, which is even better than dehydrated, and has the right percentages of calcium and phosphorus for all life stages

Members online

No members online now.