Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 17

Thread: New English Bulldog Puppy 8Weeks old!! Wanting to Change to a higher quality food.

  1. #1
    Pooper scooper michaelsbroly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michael
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Hempstead, Texas
    Posts
    46
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Broly
    Likes (Received)
    28

    Default New English Bulldog Puppy 8Weeks old!! Wanting to Change to a higher quality food.

    Hi i am new to this forum, Broly an 8 week English Bulldog has just joined our family. We want the best for him and the breeder was feeding them Blue Buffalo puppy formula. I don't see that as a high quality food and his stools have never been really solid they range from runny to kind of solid. So we think we need to change his food. I have tried to research for the best option for our little bulldog, but there is just so many options out there. I wanted to get the input from this community of bulldog owners on what is the best for puppies. Ive narrowed down to Fromm 4 Star(but they don't have a puppy formula for 4 star), Orijen large puppy breed, or Taste of The Wild puppy, and have been told that Diamond Naturals large puppy breed is good as well. I have read really good stuff about Fromm 4 star and am leaning towards it, but they don't have a 4 star formula for puppies, it is all life stages will it be safe for puppies? Has anyone fed 4 Star to their puppies with success? Or is the Fromm puppy(which is below the 4 star) as high quality as the 4 Star? Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated!

    thank you.

    Michael

  2. Likes NewEnglandBully liked this post
  3. #2
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,160
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11490

    Default Re: New English Bulldog Puppy 8Weeks old!! Wanting to Change to a higher quality food.

    I responded to your other post..... this is what I used for Lambeau during the puppy months, and then switched to Pork and Peas. Fromm Gold Life-stage and Lifestyle Dry Recipes - Fromm Family Foods

    Orjen and taste of the Wild are both also great foods and many here feed them with great results.... keep in mind food with a Bulldog can be a long road of trial and error until you find the right one. What works for one may not be best for another.

    Try to avoid grains and chicken as both tend to cause allergy issue (not for all, but a very high percentage)
    Good luck!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  4. #3
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
    Posts
    1,437
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)
    940

    Default Re: New English Bulldog Puppy 8Weeks old!! Wanting to Change to a higher quality food.

    When I got Winnie at 8 weeks, I immediately switched (gradually of course) to Orijen puppy food. She did great on it. I added a probiotic to her morning feeding for loose stools. At 7 months, I switched her to Origen Six Fish, and that's what she still eats. We've never had any health issues with her, which could just be the luck of the draw, but she's done so well I've never even considered changing her food. No skinn problems, no allergies, no yeast issues. She's a year and a half now and a slim muscular girl at 45 lbs. I feed it to my other dogs too (not Bulldogs) and they don't have any health issues either.

  5. #4
    Pooper scooper michaelsbroly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michael
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Hempstead, Texas
    Posts
    46
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Broly
    Likes (Received)
    28

    Default Re: New English Bulldog Puppy 8Weeks old!! Wanting to Change to a higher quality food.

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnam View Post
    When I got Winnie at 8 weeks, I immediately switched (gradually of course) to Orijen puppy food. She did great on it. I added a probiotic to her morning feeding for loose stools. At 7 months, I switched her to Origen Six Fish, and that's what she still eats. We've never had any health issues with her, which could just be the luck of the draw, but she's done so well I've never even considered changing her food. No skinn problems, no allergies, no yeast issues. She's a year and a half now and a slim muscular girl at 45 lbs. I feed it to my other dogs too (not Bulldogs) and they don't have any health issues either.
    Great thank you so much for your input, with Orijen Puppy did you use the large breed puppy formula?

  6. #5
    Dog Park Attendant Roseann's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    491
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
    Likes (Received)
    260

    Default Re: New English Bulldog Puppy 8Weeks old!! Wanting to Change to a higher quality food.

    I love orijen food, it's what I originally had Henry on. I changed out of circumstances, not from dissatisfaction of the food. The only thing that I would mention is that the puppy food all has chicken so we opted for the 6 fish adult food instead. That may have changed by now, I'm not certain.

  7. Likes michaelsbroly, rjisaterp liked this post
  8. #6
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
    Posts
    1,437
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)
    940

    Default Re: New English Bulldog Puppy 8Weeks old!! Wanting to Change to a higher quality food.

    Quote Originally Posted by michaelsbroly View Post
    Great thank you so much for your input, with Orijen Puppy did you use the large breed puppy formula?
    I think I used the regular puppy formula because I didn't notice there was a large breed puppy formula.

  9. Likes michaelsbroly liked this post
  10. #7
    Pooper scooper michaelsbroly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michael
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Hempstead, Texas
    Posts
    46
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Broly
    Likes (Received)
    28

    Default Re: New English Bulldog Puppy 8Weeks old!! Wanting to Change to a higher quality food.

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnam View Post
    When I got Winnie at 8 weeks, I immediately switched (gradually of course) to Orijen puppy food. She did great on it. I added a probiotic to her morning feeding for loose stools. At 7 months, I switched her to Origen Six Fish, and that's what she still eats. We've never had any health issues with her, which could just be the luck of the draw, but she's done so well I've never even considered changing her food. No skinn problems, no allergies, no yeast issues. She's a year and a half now and a slim muscular girl at 45 lbs. I feed it to my other dogs too (not Bulldogs) and they don't have any health issues either.
    Its good to hear that your little one hasn't had any problems with food! I have heard that with Orijen puppy food the amount of protein for a growing bulldog puppy is to high. Did you run into any of those problems? or have heard anything on that subject?
    Thank you for all your input!

  11. #8
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
    Posts
    1,437
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)
    940

    Default Re: New English Bulldog Puppy 8Weeks old!! Wanting to Change to a higher quality food.

    Quote Originally Posted by michaelsbroly View Post
    Its good to hear that your little one hasn't had any problems with food! I have heard that with Orijen puppy food the amount of protein for a growing bulldog puppy is to high. Did you run into any of those problems? or have heard anything on that subject?
    Thank you for all your input!
    I think I have "heard" that mentioned before, but nothing to back it up. I don't know what kind of problems too much protein would cause, but Winnie hasn't had a single health problem (unless you count eating something she shouldn't have eaten causing a trip to the vet!). Oh, she did have Demodex mange when she was 4 or 5 months, but with meds it was cleared up in a month. That's literally the only health issue she's had. Posting a pic of Winnie:
    -image-jpeg -image-jpg -image-jpeg

  12. Likes michaelsbroly liked this post
  13. #9
    Poopah Scoopah Become a 4 Paw Member NewEnglandBully's Avatar
    Real Name
    Laurie
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,775
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sebastion (Sea Bass)
    Likes (Received)
    1915
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: New English Bulldog Puppy 8Weeks old!! Wanting to Change to a higher quality food.

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnam View Post
    I think I have "heard" that mentioned before, but nothing to back it up. I don't know what kind of problems too much protein would cause, but Winnie hasn't had a single health problem (unless you count eating something she shouldn't have eaten causing a trip to the vet!). Oh, she did have Demodex mange when she was 4 or 5 months, but with meds it was cleared up in a month. That's literally the only health issue she's had. Posting a pic of Winnie:
    -image-jpeg -image-jpg -image-jpeg
    I also "heard" this when Bass was a puppy. I was also told by a woman at the pet store that a higher protein content can cause aggressiveness…I asked Lisa about this, because I had not read about it before.
    I have not found anything about the quality foods listed on here causing a problem w/protein content(in puppies)…I believe the concern is because this breed is not as active as others…but as puppies they are quite active (when they are awake). I would still do the food you researched and got advice on here…the only other advice is to keep up w/the regular blood work/urine samples at your vets (that should help clear concerns w/protein issues).

    "Unequivocally the Sweetest"

  14. Likes michaelsbroly liked this post
  15. #10
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
    Posts
    1,437
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)
    940

    Default Re: New English Bulldog Puppy 8Weeks old!! Wanting to Change to a higher quality food.

    Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    I also "heard" this when Bass was a puppy. I was also told by a woman at the pet store that a higher protein content can cause aggressiveness…I asked Lisa about this, because I had not read about it before.
    I have not found anything about the quality foods listed on here causing a problem w/protein content(in puppies)…I believe the concern is because this breed is not as active as others…but as puppies they are quite active (when they are awake). I would still do the food you researched and got advice on here…the only other advice is to keep up w/the regular blood work/urine samples at your vets (that should help clear concerns w/protein issues).
    Ah ha! Maybe the high protein Orijen was the cause of Winnie's constant biting and scratching us until she was five months old. I knew there was a reason. Just kidding, of course, we know that was the shark phase. Now, however, she doesn't have an aggressive bone in her body (hard to believe when I remember what a holy terror she was). Anyway, her food has not caused aggression in Winnie.

  16. Likes NewEnglandBully liked this post
  17. #11
    Poopah Scoopah Become a 4 Paw Member NewEnglandBully's Avatar
    Real Name
    Laurie
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,775
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sebastion (Sea Bass)
    Likes (Received)
    1915
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: New English Bulldog Puppy 8Weeks old!! Wanting to Change to a higher quality food.


    ARe my children eating the dog food?? That would explain a few things

    "Unequivocally the Sweetest"

  18. Likes Donnam liked this post
  19. #12
    Pooper scooper michaelsbroly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michael
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Hempstead, Texas
    Posts
    46
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Broly
    Likes (Received)
    28

    Default Re: New English Bulldog Puppy 8Weeks old!! Wanting to Change to a higher quality food.

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnam View Post
    I think I have "heard" that mentioned before, but nothing to back it up. I don't know what kind of problems too much protein would cause, but Winnie hasn't had a single health problem (unless you count eating something she shouldn't have eaten causing a trip to the vet!). Oh, she did have Demodex mange when she was 4 or 5 months, but with meds it was cleared up in a month. That's literally the only health issue she's had. Posting a pic of Winnie:
    -image-jpeg -image-jpg -image-jpeg
    Wow your Winnie looks amazing & healthy, especially that coat! Thank you for sharing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •