Help Needed! My first English Bulldog will be here this month

ImissLunchbox

Jul 14, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefcake
Hello all, I am rescuing a 4yr old English Bulldog this month, I've never had one before but always been a big fan of the breed. Ive had a Bullmastiff (Lunchbox) the last 10 years who i fed a mix of Bil.Jac Large Breed food and slow cooked meals consisting of brown rice, beef, chicken and sweet potatoes along with raw "soup" bones twice a day. The dog im rescuing is an intact male, 4yrs old with skin problems and EXTREMELY overweight. His current owners have had him on regular kibbles n bits (purina i think) for his whole life which I plan to change the second hes in my care. I see a lot of people posting that they cook their eb kidney beans and other kinds of beans, doesn't this give your dog gas? I'm concerned with bloat. I am open to all suggestions to help this guy, he really needs to lose weight and i am assuming his allergies are due to his poor diet.

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
A lot of us feed green beans, either frozen or canned, as a treat or filler if they are dieting. :) I could be wrong but I haven't seen anything about kidney beans.

Welcome! Wonderful of you to rescue! :D

In the meantime feel free to post pics of Lunchbox. :heart: I was about 11 when i first met a bullmastiff. Fell in love in an instant and I'm sure it's what led to my love for bulldogs. :luv:

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I would put him on a bland diet only (ground beef and rice) for a while before you actually change foods. If you are going to feed him kibble, then add it slowly. There are plenty of recommendations on here with regards what to feed and I know you will get help from others with more experience. I haven't seen anything but green beans mentioned either.

OP
I

ImissLunchbox

Jul 14, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefcake
300x300.jpgBABY.jpgcard2.jpgBABY2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

lol, thanks for asking for Lunchbox pictures, I miss him terribly and it feels nice to share my angel with others:) I lost him to cancer less than a month ago after an 8 month battle. He made it almost to 10 years which is pretty good for a mastiff so were real thankfulLUNCHBOX.jpg300x300 (1).jpg for the time we had. He was quite the character.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
View attachment 88974View attachment 88975View attachment 88976View attachment 88977

- - - Updated - - -

lol, thanks for asking for Lunchbox pictures, I miss him terribly and it feels nice to share my angel with others:)

What a beautiful baby. I know Lunchbox can never be replaced, but I am so confident this new baby coming your way will fill your heart with joy. Bullies don't do well with grains or chicken, so I would stay clear of those two when selecting a food. I would go with a high quality kibble, maybe 1 cup twice a day, and you can add in some green beans to keep him feeling full. Also, getting him on walks daily (watching the heat of course) will help him lose weight. How much does he currently weigh? Do you know?
Bless you for taking in this baby and showing him a good home, full of love, like you did for Lunchbox. I can't wait to see pics! The grain free chicken free should help alot with his allergies. Once he's home and transitioned to new food, see how it goes before adding in other things. Coconut oil, plain greek yogurt as an probiotic, etc.

OP
I

ImissLunchbox

Jul 14, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefcake
i appreciate it, thank you, I really want to heal this guy up and have little experience with bulldogs so i appreciate you time :)

OP
I

ImissLunchbox

Jul 14, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefcake
Thank you for your kind words, any suggestions on a high quality kibble? I was feeding Lunchbox Bil.Jac for large breed but still doing research on something low protein for the new guy.. What did you choose for your bulldog?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
i appreciate it, thank you, I really want to heal this guy up and have little experience with bulldogs so i appreciate you time :)

That is what we are all here for! He is blessed to have you, and I know he will do so great. You are already being proactive and searching for whats best for him! The most important things for bullies are a good diet, keeping them clean (wrinkles, folds, butt (tail pockets) and lots of love. They are huge attention lovers. Get yourself some sensitive baby wipes, some witch hazel, some benadryl, some good healthy treats (still keeping with grain free, etc) a harness for walking - and you will be off to a great start. Anything else you think of, just ask away.

OP
I

ImissLunchbox

Jul 14, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefcake
His current owners say hes around 90 lbs which looks pretty accurate, I should have him in about a month. I'm currently on call for jury duty and want to make sure I'm able to be home with him all day especially in the beginning.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thank you for your kind words, any suggestions on a high quality kibble? I was feeding Lunchbox Bil.Jac for large breed but still doing research on something low protein for the new guy.. What did you choose for your bulldog?

We have Tyson on Fromms - Beef Frittata. My guy is also on the heavier side, but we keep him moving, and do 1 cup x day. When looking for a food, go with a natural pet store - not a Petco or Petsmart, etc. If you go to the Fromms website and search retailers, you will find who carries them. Any food at that particular store that carries food would be great. Acana, Orijen, are a few. Let me get you the link on here for reference as well!

English Bulldog News Forums - Dog Food Ratings at English Bulldog News

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
His current owners say hes around 90 lbs which looks pretty accurate, I should have him in about a month. I'm currently on call for jury duty and want to make sure I'm able to be home with him all day especially in the beginning.

Yeah, that is def overweight. He is going to feel so much better once you get some pounds off of him. The bigger, heavier they are the harder for their joints, muscles, and especially in the heat. My Tyson is at 78lbs.

OP
I

ImissLunchbox

Jul 14, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefcake
great suggestions! thank you! I have a dog-friendly job so i plan to bring him to work with me and we will be doing some walks around indoors and once or twice a day outdoors as well. I cant wait to post pics of him, counting the days.. Thanks again!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
View attachment 88974View attachment 88975View attachment 88976View attachment 88977

- - - Updated - - -

lol, thanks for asking for Lunchbox pictures, I miss him terribly and it feels nice to share my angel with others:) I lost him to cancer less than a month ago after an 8 month battle. He made it almost to 10 years which is pretty good for a mastiff so were real thankfulView attachment 88978View attachment 88979 for the time we had. He was quite the character.

:welcome3: to EBN ..... your baby was gorgeous and will ALWAYS be with you.

The gang gave you great advice on food and helping with is weight.... can't wait to see pictures of your new family member

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online