Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 21

Thread: 3meals/day to 2meals/day transition (puppy to adult food transition)

  1. #1
    Potty Trainer samnie's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Posts
    63
    Bulldog(s) Names
    samnie
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default 3meals/day to 2meals/day transition (puppy to adult food transition)

    how did you successfully do this? i have started about a month ago to decrease her lunch meal - we are down to 1/4 cup now, but she seems super hungry come 5pm. i tried to increase her morning meal but she doesn't even finish it. she is 6 1/2 months old.

    also, i read in the bulldog bible that by 6 months, bulldogs should already be on adult food instead of puppy food. any feedback, comments on this? thanks much!!

  2. #2
    The Ultimate Sourmug Sherry's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Denver PA
    Posts
    5,284
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default Re: 3meals/day to 2meals/day transition (puppy to adult food transition)

    yep, I transitioned my pack by 5 months of age, because of the fast growing bones. A good grain free food, if you and your pup are more comfortable yet with three meals a day it's ok, there are no rules to this set in stone. I give my pack 1 meal a day because of my schedule, I would love to give them two, but who feels like eating at 3:30 am? so it's 4 pm every day for us . I feed Fromm Pork and Peas
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

  3. #3
    .................
    Real Name
    Becky
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,938
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: 3meals/day to 2meals/day transition (puppy to adult food transition)

    Jake was always on an all stage food..from 11 weeks on. I cut out the midday at 6 months by slowly increasing am and pm and taking away from midday. When he was getting all his kibble at am and pm feedings..I gave him a midday treat. But that's just because I was lucky enough to be home...he still expects a cookie if I'm home! He totally knows its noon!

  4. #4
    Dog Groomer babybully's Avatar
    Real Name
    Veronica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Great Lakes, North Chicago
    Posts
    513
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: 3meals/day to 2meals/day transition (puppy to adult food transition)

    Are you trying to cut out lunch because you think she's old enough or just what you've been told to do? If you see that she's now super hungry maybe you should hold off a little longer. Is she becoming a overweight at all?

  5. #5
    Potty Trainer samnie's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Posts
    63
    Bulldog(s) Names
    samnie
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: 3meals/day to 2meals/day transition (puppy to adult food transition)

    i don't think she's overweight at all. i just thought it's what you do when they get to be 6 months as it is good for their stomach and metabolism - no?

  6. #6
    .................
    Real Name
    Becky
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,938
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: 3meals/day to 2meals/day transition (puppy to adult food transition)

    Quote Originally Posted by samnie View Post
    i don't think she's overweight at all. i just thought it's what you do when they get to be 6 months as it is good for their stomach and metabolism - no?

    It is the right time to do it. You said she didn't finish her morning but is extra hungry at evening feeding? Then leave morning the same for awhile and increase evening..eventually you can balance them out. But just know...Bully's do a great job of "starving"!!!! You can also give her frozen green beans ..it's a great filler with no fat. But my Jake hates them..most here love them!

  7. #7
    Wrinkle Wiper bcarro45's Avatar
    Location
    Pasadena,Tx
    Posts
    100
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beaux
    Likes (Received)
    77

    Default Re: 3meals/day to 2meals/day transition (puppy to adult food transition)

    Quote Originally Posted by samnie View Post
    how did you successfully do this? i have started about a month ago to decrease her lunch meal - we are down to 1/4 cup now, but she seems super hungry come 5pm. i tried to increase her morning meal but she doesn't even finish it. she is 6 1/2 months old.

    also, i read in the bulldog bible that by 6 months, bulldogs should already be on adult food instead of puppy food. any feedback, comments on this? thanks much!!

    1/4 cup a day?

    I feed my 9 mth old 1 cup in morning 6 am, and 2 cups around 8 pm. He is 9mth old and weighs 50lbs. Vet says he is perfctly fine and weight is good.n

  8. #8
    ..........
    Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,010
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default Re: 3meals/day to 2meals/day transition (puppy to adult food transition)

    i would do what jakeisgreat said. leave the morning meal and just add what they dont eat to the evening meal. you can give a treat mid day perhaps like she does. sarah does a great imitation of starving to. i have learned to know the difference of if she is fooling me or if she truly is hungry.

  9. #9
    Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    mer55's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mary
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Sarasota, Fl
    Posts
    874
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bogey
    Likes (Received)
    53

    Default Re: 3meals/day to 2meals/day transition (puppy to adult food transition)

    I started weaning Bogey off his noon meal at 7 months old. I cut back on the kibble and added some plain yogurt. As I decreased the kibble, I added a little banana. Now at " lunchtime" he just gets about 1/3 cup plain yogurt and 1/4 banana. He loves it and it holds him over til dinner.
    "We never really own a dog as much as they own us!"

  10. #10
    Potty Trainer samnie's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Posts
    63
    Bulldog(s) Names
    samnie
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bcarro45 View Post
    1/4 cup a day?

    I feed my 9 mth old 1 cup in morning 6 am, and 2 cups around 8 pm. He is 9mth old and weighs 50lbs. Vet says he is perfctly fine and weight is good.n
    oh, 1/4 cup for her lunch. i give her 1 1/4 cup in the AM & 1 1/3 cup in the PM. im increasing the PM meals though since she really seems hungry when i pick her up from the sitter's home. she's only 6 1/2 months and weighs 36 lbs. her vet wants me to limit her to 2 cups a day but i think that's ridiculous!!

  11. #11
    Potty Trainer samnie's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Posts
    63
    Bulldog(s) Names
    samnie
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    It is the right time to do it. You said she didn't finish her morning but is extra hungry at evening feeding? Then leave morning the same for awhile and increase evening..eventually you can balance them out. But just know...Bully's do a great job of "starving"!!!! You can also give her frozen green beans ..it's a great filler with no fat. But my Jake hates them..most here love them!
    😂 when i add veggies (green beans & carrots) to her food, she picks them out!! 😂😂

  12. #12
    .................
    Real Name
    Becky
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,938
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: 3meals/day to 2meals/day transition (puppy to adult food transition)

    Quote Originally Posted by samnie View Post
     when i add veggies (green beans & carrots) to her food, she picks them out!! 

    Now THAT'S a smart Bully!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •