Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single protein source

Default Single protein source

Went to a new vet today as Porkchop has a mystery itch. The vet said that it may be an allergy and we should try a change of food. He's eating Fromm Chicken ala Veg. The vet said a high quality food that has a single protein source would be best so we can then try different protein sources to see what works for Porky. She said rabbit, venison, kangaroo, etc would be fine. I cannot seem to find any foods with a single source of protein. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Fish would be my last choice due to the odor.

Brian

Bully lovin' movie buff Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Jenni
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Lucy
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Single protein source

Earthborn Holistic has single protein foods that you can get regular or grain free in. I have Lola and Lucy on the venison kind and they love it. I was on Fromm but I do have to say I like earthborn a lot! There are several people on here that use it as well and have gotten great results!

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Well..tons of Bully's have problems with chicken so I'm not surprised. Try Fromm's Beef Fritatta..Fromm is excellent and beef is a pretty safe protein. Do a slow switch still..because the Fromm beef is grain free and I think (?) the one he was on isn't.

Jake is on Earthborne Great Plains Feast..it's Bison as the protein.

Real Name
    Jenni
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Lucy
    Likes (Received)

@JAKEISGREAT-that is the same kind as Lola and Lucy are on(the orange grain free bag).

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpeasmom2008 View Post
    Earthborn Holistic has single protein foods that you can get regular or grain free in. I have Lola and Lucy on the venison kind and they love it. I was on Fromm but I do have to say I like earthborn a lot! There are several people on here that use it as well and have gotten great results!
    Thanks for the response & I'm glad Earthborn Holistic works well for your guys, but the ingredients for Earthborn Holistic Great Plains Feast says it has bison meal and lamb meal. Where do you get the venison single protein? I can't seem to find it.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

My female Blossom is allergic to chicken, salmon, grains and corn, so we switched to Fromms Beef Frittata, 5 months ago and she is doing really well on this food.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Did you check the Beef Fritatta? I think it's just beef but its been awhile since I used it.
    @cowsmom can give you some other choices too!

Real Name
    Jenni
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Lucy
    Likes (Received)

Coastal Catch is herring as the only source which you said you didn't want fish, and Meadow feast is only Lamb what did the vet say about lamb?

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I would certainly recommend at least trying a different version of Fromm before doing a full switch. The beef frittata I think has only beef-- no chicken in it.

If that does not work I would try natures variety limited ingredient diets. There is either lamb or turkey. I wish they would come up with more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Bulldog Vet in Training Bizzymammabee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Beth
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Raven (2011-2016), Tyson & Bella
    Likes (Received)

Raven is eating MerricksB4 Grain in pork flavor. I tried a couple other high quality foods but they had chicken in them which made her itch. The vet said it is great that a company has made a pork food because that is the one food that won't cause allergies. Good luck finding something that works.
    Always in my heart and never far from my thoughts. See you at the rainbow bridge my sweet little Monkey. R.I.P. Raven.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpeasmom2008 View Post
    Coastal Catch is herring as the only source which you said you didn't want fish, and Meadow feast is only Lamb what did the vet say about lamb?
    Vet said anything but poultry. She did mention rabbit more than once. I'll look into Fromm beef frittata. I like the brand, and changing to another Fromm is supposed to be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    Did you check the Beef Fritatta? I think it's just beef but its been awhile since I used it.
    @cowsmom can give you some other choices too!
    Fromm beef frittata has both beef & pork.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads