Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Large breed or not?

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    Correction to the OP:

LESS PROTEIN is not what you want for puppies... well, for most dogs, in general. Excess protein is not the reason for developmental issues in dogs. Contrary to that, less protein leads to protein deficiency that causes skeletal problems in growing puppies.

Excess CALORIES and MINERALS (such as Calcium) are the ones to watch. You don't want to have your dog get too heavy before he has the bone structure to support the weight. You also don't want to have bones grow faster than their cartilege. So that, when you're looking for puppy food, you still want to get the puppy food that has significantly more animal protein than there are carbs but with lower calories and minerals.

So, large breed versus regular puppy food versus adult food versus All Stages - regular puppy food contains higher calories per cup and higher calcium than large breed puppy food. So, if you have a large breed that tends to grow very fast (i.e., dobermans, boxers, and the giants), you want to smooth out his growth with the lower calorie/lower calcium food. Adult food usually have lower calories but it may have more calcium than what a large breed puppy needs. And All Stages food is usually medium calories and medium minerals that is sufficient for puppies as well as adults.

An English Bulldog... although they can get to over 50 lbs, the AKC standard is 40 lbs for females and 50 lbs of males. So they are, technically, not a large breed dog. But, to know what kind of bulldog you have, you'll have to figure in the weight of his parents. Bulldogs have a different growth rate than large breed dogs. For example, a Doberman can get from a tiny peanut to its adult size and stop growing at age 10 months. So he grows quite rapidly and is done with it - he just needs to bulk up with the muscles. A bulldog takes longer to get to his adult size so you can keep him on puppy food longer. Of course, All Stages is designed for both puppies and adults.

And finally... regardless of what kind of food you're feeding, you really need to "play it by ear". You need to monitor the puppy's weight and body condition and level of activity in his growing years. This can change within that period of time and you will need to adjust the amount of food he is eating to balance it all out.

She's Baaaaaaaaaaack!

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    She's Baaaaaaaaaaack!
    Ahhh, Becky! You didn't roll your eyes on me!!!

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Ahhh, Becky! You didn't roll your eyes on me!!!

I must be slipping!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

I must be slipping!
    There it is! Now the world is right as rain again.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

There it is! Now the world is right as rain again.

Yup! That's my "Anatess" special!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Yup! That's my "Anatess" special!
    Now you can't use that on anybody else because then it won't be special.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Now you can't use that on anybody else because then it won't be special.

That's taking away one of my staples! I'll have to go to Smileyville!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Spielman
    Likes (Received)

I bought a "large breed" puppy food and it has less protein than the "normal" puppy food of the same brand. I thought I had read on this site is was better for bulldogs to have less protein as they do not "exercise" like most other breeds. Even my puppy would be what I would categorize as "lazy" by puppy standards. He is tuckered out quickly compared to many other breeds I have raised.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hstead View Post
    I bought a "large breed" puppy food and it has less protein than the "normal" puppy food of the same brand. I thought I had read on this site is was better for bulldogs to have less protein as they do not "exercise" like most other breeds. Even my puppy would be what I would categorize as "lazy" by puppy standards. He is tuckered out quickly compared to many other breeds I have raised.
    That's because there's a prevalent misconception in the dog food industry as well as the vets that excess protein is bad for dogs. Excess protein is only bad for dogs if the dog has liver problems or if the protein comes from plant matter instead of animal matter. You can feed your healthy dog 70% protein from animal carcass (as is prevalent in the raw food feeding method) and they would be healthier for it.

Okay food is generally composed of the following components: Protein, Fat, Water, Ash (Minerals), and Carbohydrates. The energies of each component add up to the total calorie content of the food. So, a good quality dog food would have about 30% Protein content, about 8% Ash, 10% water, 15% Fat leaving only 37% for carbs for each serving that equates to X number of calories. When you lower the protein content, you usually increase the carbs content (to make 100%). Carbs is bad for dogs. Dogs do not have the proper enzymes to break down carbs so it is very hard on their digestive system. If your carbs content goes to the 45%+ range it is bad food regardless of what kind of dog you have.

A "lazy" bulldog would need lower calorie food. But that doesn't mean you feed him food with a lower protein content which would cause an increase in carbs content which would not only make your dog even fatter, it would be bad for your dog's digestive system. You lower the caloric intake of the dog by feeding lower calories per serving and maintaining the same percentage of protein. This can be achieved by simply feeding the dog less food.
    Last edited by anatess; 01-05-2013 at 12:25 AM.

Doggie Boutique Owner porkysmamma's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alicia
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Porkchop aka Porky
    Likes (Received)

Lol I not only learned a lot on this post but got a chuckle out of it too I <3 EBN u guys are pawsome!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Never knew what our lives were missing until we found our princess

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Mary
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bogey
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all the info! Boy,it does get confusing!! I like the @JAKEISGREAT motto: trial and error and what works for you! I know each bulldog is unique and growth is too, so, I guess it's day by day. I had another dog with such yeast issues and it sickens me that I could not find a food that worked, but then again, I did not have EBN and all the food gurus to give advice. I went with my breeders recommendation, but then again, she had the pups on Eukanuba! So, I am glad I went with Fromm's but now I am second guessing the Large Breed puppy!! YIKES!!
    "We never really own a dog as much as they own us!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads