Keithlan1978

Apr 22, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
Hi everyone

Apologies if this is in the wrong category and please move if needs be

Our 7 month old bully Debo is 47/48 pound, I think he looks perfect but had a check up at the vet tonight and sheā€™s saying in her opinion heā€™s to heavy, he was on hills science plans food up till 4 weeks ago, heā€™s now on raw food which she said to be careful of cos heā€™ll go huge off it as itā€™s meat but I thought raw was meant to keep them more lean than fat, Iā€™ll include some pics from the past week of Debo

Thanks

Attachments

• 7DF6E903-1208-4FF8-99D8-4E11C5459FF7.jpeg
    7DF6E903-1208-4FF8-99D8-4E11C5459FF7.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 186
  • E0215F3E-BC8A-40D4-8F29-37EAEFD6B5F1.jpeg
    E0215F3E-BC8A-40D4-8F29-37EAEFD6B5F1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 183
  • F31E5077-C82B-4F34-A99C-B99892FE9E3A.png
    F31E5077-C82B-4F34-A99C-B99892FE9E3A.png
    664.8 KB · Views: 177
  • A173093A-2DA8-4BCF-ADD1-7830E3634580.jpg
    A173093A-2DA8-4BCF-ADD1-7830E3634580.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 170
  • 5649360D-558C-4051-854D-87010E88D3B0.jpeg
    5649360D-558C-4051-854D-87010E88D3B0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 157
  • 64521742-35D2-4AA0-A99A-B4E896CE3D9E.jpeg
    64521742-35D2-4AA0-A99A-B4E896CE3D9E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 155

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Can't always go with what the scale says, as thay are all different. He looks good to me, so I would keep him at that weight. They should be on the lean side for a healthy bully. They should have a little waist, and you should be able to feel his ribs with moderate pressure, but not be able to see them. So keep up the good work and try to keep him at that weight.

OP
K

Keithlan1978

Apr 22, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
Can't always go with what the scale says, as thay are all different. He looks good to me, so I would keep him at that weight. They should be on the lean side for a healthy bully. They should have a little waist, and you should be able to feel his ribs with moderate pressure, but not be able to see them. So keep up the good work and try to keep him at that weight.

Thanks mate, thatā€™s whatā€™s worrying me though heā€™s putting around 2 pound a week on, at what age does the putting weight on slow down?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi everyone

Our 7 month old bully Debo is 47/48 pound, I think he looks perfect but had a check up at the vet tonight and sheā€™s saying in her opinion heā€™s to heavy, he was on hills science plans food up till 4 weeks ago, heā€™s now on raw food which she said to be careful of cos heā€™ll go huge off it as itā€™s meat but I thought raw was meant to keep them more lean than fat, Iā€™ll include some pics from the past week of Debo

Thanks

1) CHANGE VETS!!!! Useless in my opinion!!!

2) Heā€™s only 7months old. You did the biggest favour to youā€™re dog for switching to raw. Hills is plain n simple loaded with grains. Great for cows!!! Vets gets a % on selling Hills/Royal Caine.

3) Your puppy will now get back on track cause youā€™re feeding raw so ā€œdonā€™tā€ panic on his weight. Btw, at 50lb dog is one pound per day or since youā€™re in metric like us, itā€™s 454gr. Also make sure his treats are real food. Heā€™ll need fiber like frozen green beans or fiber veggies n fruits.

Keep an eye on his waist line n heā€™ll be fine! Enjoy your furball.

OP
K

Keithlan1978

Apr 22, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
1) CHANGE VETS!!!! Useless in my opinion!!!

2) Heā€™s only 7months old. You did the biggest favour to youā€™re dog for switching to raw. Hills is plain n simple loaded with grains. Great for cows!!! Vets gets a % on selling Hills/Royal Caine.

3) Your puppy will now get back on track cause youā€™re feeding raw so ā€œdonā€™tā€ panic on his weight. Btw, at 50lb dog is one pound per day or since youā€™re in metric like us, itā€™s 454gr. Also make sure his treats are real food. Heā€™ll need fiber like frozen green beans or fiber veggies n fruits.

Keep an eye on his waist line n heā€™ll be fine! Enjoy your furball.

Thanks for your advice, switching to raw is the best thing we ever done for Debo, he has fruits like apple, strawberries, bananas, we havenā€™t given any veg yet, how do u feed the veg I.E frozen, cooked, defrosted just so I know?

Also you said 454g of raw food but Debo has that twice a day so 908g in total which is what the raw shop supplier said he should be on based on his weight and age, is that not correct?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for your advice, switching to raw is the best thing we ever done for Debo, he has fruits like apple, strawberries, bananas, we havenā€™t given any veg yet, how do u feed the veg I.E frozen, cooked, defrosted just so I know?

Also you said 454g of raw food but Debo has that twice a day so 908g in total which is what the raw shop supplier said he should be on based on his weight and age, is that not correct?

Per day as mentioned. I usually feed my dogs fresh veggies. Like carrots, green beans, the ends of asparagus, fennel, bell peppers etc. Whatever you do, do not feed anything from a can! Whatever is in a can is dead. Absolutely useless imo. Your raw shop butcher is ā€œwrong!ā€ Also make sure Debo gets tripe if itā€™s not already in the raw meal.

Roundup the weight to 50lbs. I always feed from frozen. Frozen is safer than thawed. If thereā€™s any bacteria or something else in the meat, frozen will basically kill mostly all. Get your raw in bags or little blocks of 1/2lb (250g)

Use this guide

https://www.thecompletek9.ca/resources-calculator

OP
K

Keithlan1978

Apr 22, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
Again thanks for your help I really appreciate it, my heads wrecked with all the raw food calculations as 2 suppliers Iā€™ve been to plus online calculators say he should be having 4% his body weight for his age which is 2 pound a day so you think I need to half that?

Any treats he has are all natural, he has fresh carrots aswel I forgot to mention them, he has tripe, duck and duck and tripe together, today heā€™s had beef mince complete 80/10/10 an I noticed tonight his poo wasnā€™t firm and was also very black, any ideas on that?

When you say feed defo it frozen do you mean literally just give him the frozen block of food in his bowl without defrosting it at all? Will he be able to eat it like that without causing him any harm or damaging his teeth? Sorry if that sounds stupid I just want to be clear on what youā€™re saying?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Again thanks for your help I really appreciate it, my heads wrecked with all the raw food calculations as 2 suppliers Iā€™ve been to plus online calculators say he should be having 4% his body weight for his age which is 2 pound a day so you think I need to half that?

Any treats he has are all natural, he has fresh carrots aswel I forgot to mention them, he has tripe, duck and duck and tripe together, today heā€™s had beef mince complete 80/10/10 an I noticed tonight his poo wasnā€™t firm and was also very black, any ideas on that?

When you say feed defo it frozen do you mean literally just give him the frozen block of food in his bowl without defrosting it at all? Will he be able to eat it like that without causing him any harm or damaging his teeth? Sorry if that sounds stupid I just want to be clear on what youā€™re saying?

They are probably telling you 2lbs (900g)a day of Raw cause heā€™s a puppy. I personally find thatā€™s lot for a dog of 48lbs if heā€™s overweight like yours is. Cut it to one pound (250g) because heā€™s having more food as snacks throughout the day. Both my dogs are exactly 48lbs. Neither are fat n both are getting one pound per day, I also give them each at noon as a snack like one small frozen herring each. And yes I always give frozen. These are dogs they are carnivores they will NOT break any teeth. It actually keeps their teeth strong n healthy cause they are using them to chew. Like in the wild. Also once in a while I give them frozen marrow bones. Duke the white face is 18 months old n Nyala my brindle is 2.5yrs old. Duke always had one pound per day n Nyala I recently cut her snacks in half. Sheā€™s getting older n Iā€™m just keeping an eye on her. Both my dogs are extremely active not your typical bullies especially Duke. Iā€™m sure he can be fed a bit more cause he doesnā€™t stop but I rather have him on a tad less n keep him fit. From your photos, yes heā€™s a bit overweight but absolutely nothing to worry about as heā€™s still a pup. But I personally sure would cut your raw in half. Like mentioned, you should see a waistline like a V shape and not a U shape. You should feel slightly the last couple ribs.

This is Duke n Nyala. Both in great shape.

9903E060-1C30-4E52-A48D-2EE333AC979C.jpeg

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty has kibble but I give him a handful of frozen green beans as a topper. I just throw them on top of his food straight out of the bag. I have to watch his weight so I cut back on his food and add the beans so he thinks he'
s getting more.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You've been given great advice.... stay on the raw and just keep his waist line. As a pup, he will put it on quick, but you'll know when to cut back.,

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Hi everyone

Thanks

Hope this helps.

BodyConditionScore3.png

Members online