Weird color poop and massive amounts

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Not sure why they are continuing the metronidazole another week if the fecal test was negative? Metronidazole is usually used for clostridia difficile bacteria in the stool. or for giardiasis parasite in combination with fenbendazole. If your dog has coccidosis parasite which is also common in puppies she will need a sulfa antibiotic such as Albon and Tribissen, and the metronidazole won't work.

I'm thinking vet should have either added fenbendazole or switched to a sulfa antibiotic, since stool specimens for giardiasis and coccidosis can sometimes test negative.

The Fortiflora contains enterococcus, which is a very stable bacteria that can survive transit through the stomach very well. I'd rather use a different probiotic prophylactically in a healthy dog since the enterococcus can sometimes be pathogenic to humans, but it should be helpful in your sick pup.

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Duke has been pooping the exact same description from what you are saying. Remember I posted somewhere else hes poops non stop 10x a day (around month ago I think lol) ive cut his food to 2 cups a day so poops a lot less. But still same beige, soft n still bright red blood which is caused by stress. Nyala plays rough with him too. Hes still on Acana chicken for puppy. I add very often pumpkin but never once ive seen solid poop outof this squirt. How much is he eating per day? BTW, anything from RC or Purina the vets gets a % !!!

I do remember your post. I didn't realize the color was a little weird too. So I started Louie on 2 cups of Fromm per day. His first couple weeks home, his stool would go back and forth from firm to loose which attributed to stress of a new home. Then everything became nice and firm and your normal poop brown color. Then he wasn't gaining as much weight as he probably should have so I went to 2 1/4 cups and everything was fine for two weeks. He was going 4-5 times a day, firm and your normal poop brown. Fast forward to June 8 when Jax had loose stool and the rest is history. So we'll see what happens with another week of the meds. I think the amount he goes at one time is what freaks me out the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I do remember your post. I didn't realize the color was a little weird too. So I started Louie on 2 cups of Fromm per day. His first couple weeks home, his stool would go back and forth from firm to loose which attributed to stress of a new home. Then everything became nice and firm and your normal poop brown color. Then he wasn't gaining as much weight as he probably should have so I went to 2 1/4 cups and everything was fine for two weeks. He was going 4-5 times a day, firm and your normal poop brown. Fast forward to June 8 when Jax had loose stool and the rest is history. So we'll see what happens with another week of the meds. I think the amount he goes at one time is what freaks me out the most.

Cant be worst than new born human babies you come home with hahahaha

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cant be worst than new born human babies you come home with hahahaha

I would rather deal with puppy poop than baby poop!

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure why they are continuing the metronidazole another week if the fecal test was negative? Metronidazole is usually used for clostridia difficile bacteria in the stool. or for giardiasis parasite in combination with fenbendazole. If your dog has coccidosis parasite which is also common in puppies she will need a sulfa antibiotic such as Albon and Tribissen, and the metronidazole won't work.

I'm thinking vet should have either added fenbendazole or switched to a sulfa antibiotic, since stool specimens for giardiasis and coccidosis can sometimes test negative.

The Fortiflora contains enterococcus, which is a very stable bacteria that can survive transit through the stomach very well. I'd rather use a different probiotic prophylactically in a healthy dog since the enterococcus can sometimes be pathogenic to humans, but it should be helpful in your sick pup.

When I called I asked if we should switch to something else but the vet chose not to so I'll trust that he knows what he's doing. He's never giving me a reason to question his choices.

I don't think it's a parasite as Jax is fine now.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Just heard back from vet's office. They want to do another week of the Metronidazole and they want me to try a different probiotic. I've been using Bene-bac which is a pre and probiotic. So the vet sent home some Fortiflora at no charge. I am not thrilled about it since it is made by Purina. If no improvement after the week, they will want to do a GI profile.
[MENTION=16280]Hankster[/MENTION] I was giving the recommended amount of the bone broth but maybe it was too much too soon??? Who knows. These bellies of theirs can be so sensitive. So I'm going to back off the bone broth just to see if there is any difference.

Wish us luck!

Tyson was also put metronidazole when he got food poisoning. It helps calm the intestines which is good. You are doing the right thing with the bland diet to let his belly kinda relax. Remove anything extra for now, and just do bland & probiotic.
I'm not a fan of fortiflora, but if he does well on it, then great. We use Herbsmith Microflora (I order it off Amazon) and swear by it!

49af260d6199dbe578a946c7ef751511.jpg

Hoping it's just a bug and he's good in a few days.

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson was also put metronidazole when he got food poisoning. It helps calm the intestines which is good. You are doing the right thing with the bland diet to let his belly kinda relax. Remove anything extra for now, and just do bland & probiotic.
I'm not a fan of fortiflora, but if he does well on it, then great. We use Herbsmith Microflora (I order it off Amazon) and swear by it!

49af260d6199dbe578a946c7ef751511.jpg

Hoping it's just a bug and he's good in a few days.

I'll have to look into that brand. I've used the Bene-bac for Jax for awhile now so that's what I've been using on Louie too. But I'm always interested in new products!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Just heard back from vet's office. They want to do another week of the Metronidazole and they want me to try a different probiotic. I've been using Bene-bac which is a pre and probiotic. So the vet sent home some Fortiflora at no charge. I am not thrilled about it since it is made by Purina. If no improvement after the week, they will want to do a GI profile.
@Hankster I was giving the recommended amount of the bone broth but maybe it was too much too soon??? Who knows. These bellies of theirs can be so sensitive. So I'm going to back off the bone broth just to see if there is any difference.

Wish us luck!

My vet actually recommend Fortiflora too... it has great reviews on Amazon. I used it for awhile, but I ended up coming back to Microflora Plus because Walter seemed to do better on that. Most dogs (like humans) will go thru a bought of odd stools getting over a GI upset, I would say give it some time and go slow on any food changes.

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
My vet actually recommend Fortiflora too... it has great reviews on Amazon. I used it for awhile, but I ended up coming back to Microflora Plus because Walter seemed to do better on that. Most dogs (like humans) will go thru a bought of odd stools getting over a GI upset, I would say give it some time and go slow on any food changes.

It seems like a few people on here use the Microflora so I will definitely check it out.
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] I know you like to use the sauerkraut from the fridge as a probiotic. Can you tell me what the difference is between that and a dog specific probiotic?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
It seems like a few people on here use the Microflora so I will definitely check it out.
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] I know you like to use the sauerkraut from the fridge as a probiotic. Can you tell me what the difference is between that and a dog specific probiotic?

I will be interested in her answer.... and, just an fyi, I've just started the microflora as well but once again, am a switcher upper and do use the sauerkraut alternately...

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I will be interested in her answer.... and, just an fyi, I've just started the microflora as well but once again, am a switcher upper and do use the sauerkraut alternately...
'
I'm not sure my dogs would eat sauerkraut... maybe w/a bratwurst!!! Lol :rofl:

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
'
I'm not sure my dogs would eat sauerkraut... maybe w/a bratwurst!!! Lol :rofl:

yea, and they might just pick that out!!! lolol (and ya might just get some for yourself and enjoy,,, it really is good and oddly, this one doesn't cause gass,,,, that I've noticed :whew: ) but, surprisingly, the one I get is from Costco,,, organic etc in the fridge section and very sour and these two love it!!! ya just might be surprised!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Most probiotic bacteria are naturally sensitive to heat and moisture and the heat can kill organisms. Oh I sound like a book. Hang on will get you a great website that will explain it better than me as my french will kick in and you'll lose me lollll
:detective::hmm::computer::ponder:

I am curious why some probiotics do not require refrigeration even though they contain some of the same bacteria in probiotics that require refrigeration? Which probiotics need to be refrigerated?

One last thing ALL live culture just like in food or even MY sauces have a shelf life date ! It is the shelf life date that YOU need to know and not the "expiration date" when it comes to ANY product that is natural or no fillers, no presertatives and/or gluten free. 80% of people DO NOT know that and relys on the expiration date. Need to ask the company about their shelf life dates n by law they need to give it to you.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Got my French bulldog Honey ( the one with the bad allergies ) groomed on Saturday and somehow she seemed to have developed some kind of ear allergy or infection on Sunday- scratching at her ear till it was bleeding and shaking her head. I tried the Zymox ear drops on Sunday night and Monday morning and the whole inside of the top part of the ear was still red, so I started her on some Amox/Clav on Monday night that I had left over from when my other dog lost her nail. Today she's looking better. Anyone else had this problem after getting their dog groomed? I have some live water kefir so giving her that as well to prevent diarrhea from the antibiotic.

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Most probiotic bacteria are naturally sensitive to heat and moisture and the heat can kill organisms. Oh I sound like a book. Hang on will get you a great website that will explain it better than me as my french will kick in and you'll lose me lollll
:detective::hmm::computer::ponder:

I am curious why some probiotics do not require refrigeration even though they contain some of the same bacteria in probiotics that require refrigeration? Which probiotics need to be refrigerated?

One last thing ALL live culture just like in food or even MY sauces have a shelf life date ! It is the shelf life date that YOU need to know and not the "expiration date" when it comes to ANY product that is natural or no fillers, no presertatives and/or gluten free. 80% of people DO NOT know that and relys on the expiration date. Need to ask the company about their shelf life dates n by law they need to give it to you.

Is sauerkraut supposed to be better than a probiotic specifically made for dogs? Some say the probiotics need prebiotics. So how does that factor in with sauerkraut?

Members online