ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Monty had a couple of the cysts when we first got him. One was infected. After treating it, (I can't remember what he did now), he recommended Douxo Mousse to follow up which seemed to help a lot. We also changed his food from Royal Canin so I am sure that helped too. He hasn't had any cysts since I am pleased to say. A couple of times his paw looked a bit red so I used the mousse and it took care of it.

Thanks for the info... I had NO idea they have a douxo mousse, I will have to try that.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I consulted w/my vet, and she agrees it's time to run the blood allergy testing. She is going to do an environmental & food panel test sometime tonight. Hopefully we can get some answers, and I can stop spending money on all this dog food... Lol

Once again everyone, THANKS so much for the advice!!! :daisy:

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I consulted w/my vet, and she agrees it's time to run the blood allergy testing. She is going to do an environmental & food panel test sometime tonight. Hopefully we can get some answers, and I can stop spending money on all this dog food... Lol

Once again everyone, THANKS so much for the advice!!! :daisy:

You’re lucky! None of my vets will do blood tests or food allergy tests. Jax had a skin test for his environmental allergies but food has always been process of elimination. Good luck and hopefully you can get some answers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You’re lucky! None of my vets will do blood tests or food allergy tests. Jax had a skin test for his environmental allergies but food has always been process of elimination. Good luck and hopefully you can get some answers!

That's crazy... why do they refuse to do it?

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Got the blood test done tonight, so now we wait... she sends it off to CA for the results. Depending on the results we can either do elimination, with either Cytopoint injections OR serum based on his results. I get allergy shots so I know the drill... at first the commitment is HUGE, but then you are headed toward the maintenance faze. HONESTLY I'm just praying that the results are something minor...

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
That's crazy... why do they refuse to do it?

They just don’t think it’s accurate. So with a lot of trial and error, I’ve narrowed down what Jax can tolerate. He gets the Cytopoint for his environmental allergies which has helped 1000%. Without it, he would be a total mess. He used to get allergy shots but hasn’t since he started Cytopoint.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Got the blood test done tonight, so now we wait... she sends it off to CA for the results. Depending on the results we can either do elimination, with either Cytopoint injections OR serum based on his results. I get allergy shots so I know the drill... at first the commitment is HUGE, but then you are headed toward the maintenance faze. HONESTLY I'm just praying that the results are something minor...

fingers, toes and paws are crossed!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Oh Tracey, I so sorry to hear about Wallys problems. I'm sure that raw is one of the answers, but I'm afraid that may not be enough. In Finland we have one manufacturer who makes fermented dog food and a lot of people have had great succes with his foods. Can't get it to the states ofcourse, but really what is the key is probiotics and enzymes and lots of them. My succestion is very limited raw (in the beginning) added with sauerkraut, digestive enzymes, applecider vinegar and a little speck of used ground coffee in to his meal. Tripe has a lot of enzymes, but in this case it's good to take some extra. Herbs could be useful too, eather dried or fresh. If dried ,they should be organic. Rosemary, orenago, parsley, nettle etc. There are ready made products for dogs that are also good. When the intestinal flora is screwed, allergy testing can give you very false readings. I would same my money there.

A lot of bulldogs get a really bad start in life when they're born, since many breeders give antibiotics to the mom just in case. I even heard of a breeder who gives a 30 day regimen of antibiotics to the bitch when breeding, just in case! No wonder there is so much allergies. The puppies don't get the needed good bacteria from mom, since the mom doesn't have any.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] is absolutely right. Guess we both are believers of the holistic ways. Like she mentioned, your intestinal flora, just like in humans, if that’s not working, basically the whole body isn’t going to function either. As most knows I’m a bigger believer in fermented sauerkraut, EO , or like Riikki mentioned fresh herbs. One powerful oil is oil of oregano (ooo) which is great for respiratory issues and also helps digestion by stimulating bile flow. Digestive enzymes, I myself take it mostly everyday. Fresh fruits helps too. Rule of thumb, dogs just like us humans if you have a sluggish gut, you’ll always have some kind of health problem compared to a healthy gut.

About 25yrs ago, a family member started to have blood in every bowel movement. Started getting more n more blood And bowel movements. He did every test that’s out there, tubes, cameras coming in and out from a body and still results would show nothing is wrong. Simply just did make any sense as he was eating on a healthy side. A good 2-3 years later after taking these little purple pills for the stomach (I think it was Nexum) which didn’t help either I brought him to see a naturopath. That lady is really the one that got me started investigating into holistic. She simply said to him flat out, you need to get your flora back on track. She gave him fiber n live probiotics capsules. He worried fiber will make him go even more but she simply said...if your plumbing isn’t working, your whole body won’t either. Didn’t even take a week and everything went back to normal. All this to say, after everything you’ve done n tried n still nothing is working, most probably Wally’s gut isn’t functioning. Antibiotics should always be on the back of the list. Unless it’s a major health issue/surgery. Allergies can be controlled without pills or shots. It’s just to find what works for Wally (or you).
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] speck of used ground coffee in to his meal?? I’m curious and love to learn new stuff :)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] What do the coffee grinds do?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] What do the coffee grinds do?

Yes...we all want to know!!

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]

Funny that you both should mention it, Wally had puppy strangles when he was younger... and my vet at that time had told me that his immune system would always be off. I have been giving him supplements & probiotics/prebiotics for years, but I haven't tried the fermented sauerkraut. Can you buy it at the grocery stores? Does your dogs like the taste of it?!!
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] I TOTALLY agree w/you, if you have intestinal issues that are not addressed your entire body will not function properly. I'm doing another Whole30 right now, a great way to clean out your system of all the sugar and processed crap that I ate. Especially over the holidays... Lol

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
For some reason yeast doesn't like used coffee grounds and it levels the pH in the gut. I have always fed raw, but since I started using fresh and dried herbs, sauerkraut, Effektri oil and ACV we have had one beginning of an eye infection which I cured with just water, honey and chamomilla. Haven't been to the vets in almost two years and I do have 3 bullies.

We've got fressh sauerkraut in almost every market, but I don't know how it is in the states. You may need to go to health food store. The canned kind is no good.

@helsonwheels @ddnene @Cbrugs @2BullyMama

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]

Funny that you both should mention it, Wally had puppy strangles when he was younger... and my vet at that time had told me that his immune system would always be off. I have been giving him supplements & probiotics/prebiotics for years, but I haven't tried the fermented sauerkraut. Can you buy it at the grocery stores? Does your dogs like the taste of it?!!
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] I TOTALLY agree w/you, if you have intestinal issues that are not addressed your entire body will not function properly. I'm doing another Whole30 right now, a great way to clean out your system of all the sugar and processed crap that I ate. Especially over the holidays... Lol

If you do fermented sauerkraut, it needs to be the refrigerated one (not the one in the can). Raw goat's milk is also good. I rotate between the goat's milk and fermented fish stock, have not tried sauerkraut yet. Green, unbleached tripe is also good.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fermented kraut is the one in refrigerated section

Members online

No members online now.