This is NOT what I wanted to see! Now what.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
This was posted on my FB. A long read but interesting and from Tufts U. which I assume is a reputable source.
Does this mean rethinking everything I have been feeding my dogs and starting again?
Or is this like another Low Fat/High Fat debate in humans? Ugh!!!!! :yell: :yell:

A broken heart: Risk of heart disease in boutique or grain-free diets and exotic ingredients ā€“ Clinical Nutrition Service at Cummings School

This does baffle me though because dogs are basically carnivores. As Helene says, you don't see them grazing in a field of wheat!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I sometimes struggle with this stuff as i too am always on the lookout for what is of course the best for our guys. Thats kind of why i am big on rotating my dogs foods. I have even gone back to feeding 'some' kibble just to keep all sources active in my boys diet. Reputable is what i look for and hopefully, all the different stuff he gets keeps any one food from destroying him... ha! The one thing this article has me interested in knowing more about is taurine. I'll have to see more about what thats all about ;) Thanks for this. Always like to hear all about stuff. And,,,,,,,,,,,,, something i question about the 'grain' thing is,,,,,,,,,, those who have seen coyote scat have prob seen many seed like parts to it. So weather they get anything out of those grains, i do see trailing of pleanty eaten???

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Nutritional deficiencies due to people feeding unconventional diets, such as unbalanced home-prepared diets, raw diets, vegetarian diets, and boutique commercial pet foods?

No matter what the reason???? boutique, grain-free, or exotic ingredient diets like kangaroo, lentils, duck, pea, fava bean, buffalo, tapioca, salmon, lamb, barley, bison, venison, and chickpeas? Why are pet owners feeding these exotic ingredients? grain-free myth? :bang::bang::bang::bang:

Hereā€™s my 2 cents......I hate STUPID so call damm vets that has the nerve to write SH*T like this... Since when has Kangaroo, Duck, buffalo, salmon, lamb, lentil, chic peas, etc etc etc has become Exotic Ingredients???? Like :wtf:

Taurine is found in several organs!!! Dogs are the only animal thatā€™s as close to the humanā€™s body. Extremely rare, deficiency is linked to several serious health issues. Taurine is common in animal-based foods like as seafood, eggs, fish or meat. Basically if your dog is vegan or vegetarian well yes the dog will produce less amino acid. Dogs are carnivores why they DONT have square teeth like us humans.

Ok Ok Ok I will stop now before I say something and be banned :D

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
This popped up this morn.. havnt read yet but thought her ā€˜takeā€™ may be interesting .. This is from Dr. Becker https://healthypets.mercola.com/sit...n=20180709Z1&et_cid=DM220399&et_rid=359028844

Exactly as she mentioned...ā€inherited in certain breeds n carbsā€. They are carnivores they cannot eat carbs for sure on regular basis. Anyone that feeds only kibbles needs to top once in a while organ meat or like she said sardines are fantastic, good oils etc. in the wild when a wolf or lion (whatever the animal) goes for their kill, the first area they rip apart is always the organ sections, the butt or the throat area. They know what they need while our domestic pets will rely on us to feed them right and a lot of owners just donā€™t know.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Members online

No members online now.