Should I be worried about bowed or shakey legs?

Kfam

Sep 19, 2023
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Undecided
Sometimes I look at Franny and notice her little legs look bowed and when she looks up at me I see her legs look like they are shiveringā€¦.
So I panic and Google and read tons of things that say sheā€™s growing faster than her bones are. Too much protein, too little Vit D? Wonder if the trial of raw food I bought is not good for her at this stage? (I planned on just adding a few spoons to her dry food)
Then, I get overwhelmed and tell myself itā€™s all in my head and sheā€™s a normal growing puppy.
What do you think? I know itā€™s hard for you to say, but does this sound familiar with your own experiences?
IMG_0776.jpegIMG_0818.jpegIMG_0708.jpegIMG_0771.jpeg

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Have you done a wellness visit with a vet since bringing her home?

OP
Kfam

Kfam

Sep 19, 2023
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Undecided
Have you done a wellness visit with a vet since bringing her home?
Not yet, she saw a vet in the next town over last Friday, which was the day before she came home with us. They gave her a clean bill of health. Iā€™ve been looking for recommendations all this week for a vet that might be very familiar with English bulldogs near me. Not that I donā€™t like the vet we use for my other dog, but I guess I was just trying see who would be the best for her breed. I did wind up calling and getting an appointment for next week. šŸ‘šŸ¼

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Not yet, she saw a vet in the next town over last Friday, which was the day before she came home with us. They gave her a clean bill of health. Iā€™ve been looking for recommendations all this week for a vet that might be very familiar with English bulldogs near me. Not that I donā€™t like the vet we use for my other dog, but I guess I was just trying see who would be the best for her breed. I did wind up calling and getting an appointment for next week. šŸ‘šŸ¼
Where are you located?

It's a good idea to have her seen by your own vet and most contracts usually require that within a certain amount of days of getting the puppy.

It's really hard to tell anything by the photos cause the first couple, her legs look fine but the other 2, they are pretty far wide out but it could just be how she is positioned.

OP
Kfam

Kfam

Sep 19, 2023
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Undecided
Where are you located?

It's a good idea to have her seen by your own vet and most contracts usually require that within a certain amount of days of getting the puppy.

It's really hard to tell anything by the photos cause the first couple, her legs look fine but the other 2, they are pretty far wide out but it could just be how she is positioned.
Iā€™m in Hopewell Junction NY.
And yes, the last two pictures are examples of what makes me question her legs, but then sometimes she looks perfectly fine and I think OK itā€™s just the way she is standing, she has a wide bully chest and Iā€™m just a nervous mom šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚. I think we have 30 days to see a vet but Iā€™ll look over the paperwork again. Tomorrow will be 1 week of having her.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Raw will not make her grow any faster than a kibble. Itā€™s just healthier. My German Shepherd Sadie leg shakes too during the day or just by standing on it. Last a few seconds. Same leg she broke her toe months ago. Trust me shake or not, she runs like a torpedo, stops abrupt too. Nyala my brindle bully n lately can shake. All on raw n zero to do with their food. More on their activities. Nyala started to run in the field after Sadieā€™s chuck-it ball. Saw my vet a few months back to have Sadieā€™s leg checked. All good, simply said sheā€™s over active. Your pup probably plays, trips, rollypolly more. Puppy stage.

If I see one of the pups limp, I do batches of the attachment below n give it to them for a couple days. All goes back to normal.

Attachments

• IMG_1815.jpeg
    IMG_1815.jpeg
    288.8 KB · Views: 13

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Well I know exactly what youā€™re talking about seeing things that may or may not be there lol.

See what your vet says when you take her in. @benny are there any bulldog recommended vets on the BCA page near this New York location?

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
Well I know exactly what youā€™re talking about seeing things that may or may not be there lol.

See what your vet says when you take her in. @benny are there any bulldog recommended vets on the BCA page near this New York location?
No, the ones on the BCA list are up in Saratoga county, and then down state. :(

I will ask a few people from further north and see if I can find someone

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN!!! I agree... hard to tell from the pictures, but it could all be normal. I would continue with the raw feeding, it is the best you can give if you can afford and willing to do it.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
To clarify, Iā€™ve never said not to feed raw to a puppy. The protein % is not excessively high like some of the kibble brands. I have, however, said if feeding a puppy raw, make sure what you feed is appropriately balanced and that a puppy needs a balanced meal for each and every meal versus adult dogs where the meal can be balanced over time. I personally have not fed any of my dogs raw food until they were over 1 year old to avoid any potential issues.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Iā€™m in Hopewell Junction NY.
And yes, the last two pictures are examples of what makes me question her legs, but then sometimes she looks perfectly fine and I think OK itā€™s just the way she is standing, she has a wide bully chest and Iā€™m just a nervous mom šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚. I think we have 30 days to see a vet but Iā€™ll look over the paperwork again. Tomorrow will be 1 week of having her.
Like you just said, itā€™s only one week you had her. Sheā€™s all new to you n you to her. Sheā€™s just got off of momā€™s milk which she will still have a good solid immune system for months to come. To keep it that way, leave her on raw. Simply keep doing what youā€™re doing. Sheā€™s just being a puppy. You got this, just enjoy šŸ˜

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
@Kfam dud you have your vet appointment yet?

Members online

No members online now.