Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Was your bully's skin this red crust?

- - - Updated - - -

What is nuvet? A shampoo?

No, perhaps not quite as orange red but the sores made his skin red. Has your vet ruled out hot spots (I think the veterinary term is moist dermatitis)?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you. Dry food or wet food do you all prefer and see better results?

Most use dry/kibble... The Honest Kitchen is a dehydrated raw which could be considered wet. I don't know of anyone using canned/wet foods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Re food: we have served raw (ie raw meat and organs) but are now feeding kibble. We always soak the kibble in hot water and serve when cool. Orijen and Acana are both good brands.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
My Frenchie gets raw and my bulldog gets Fromm for one meal and The Honest Kitchen for the other. I will eventually put him on raw though.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Frozen raw patties are usually available locally, but dehydrated raw is nation wide. Spot farms is a less expensive brand than Honest Kitchens if the price of the dehydrated raw is putting you off.

Thank you. Dry food or wet food do you all prefer and see better results?

OP
B

bulldogdad34

Jul 23, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubba
Thank you to everyone...

I ordered the supplies for Bubba today.

Shampoo: Ketohex
Ointment for hot spot: Durvet Nu-Stock (seems like this stuff will stink and maybe turn his fur black?!)
Probiotic: Herbsmith Microflora Plus Capsule for Pet Digestion
Food: The Honest Kitchen Turkey

Hopefully this stuff helps!! You guys are the BEST!!

Realized I never showed a picture of the little guy you are helping out.

Here is Bubba!

IMG_3775.jpg

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
boy sounds like you got it all covered and covered well... What a beautiful boy you have. Thanks so much for sharing that picture as it's so nice to see the loves of our lives in living color .. :) Hes really a great looking bulldog .

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
He's a great-looking boy!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
What a great looking guy! Don't forget to transition him gradually to the Honest Kitchen over at least a week- 3/4: 1/4, 1/2: 1/2 then 1/4 :3/4 of the old one:new one. You can expect him to have bigger bowel movements and see vegetables in the poo with the Honest Kitchen, so don't worry about this.

If you want to make him really healthy add to his food once daily :
1)turmeric ( start with 1/2 teaspoon and work up to about 1 teaspoon per day ) eg. Club House brand from Costco, with about 10 grinds of fresh pepper
2)coconut oil ( start with 1 teaspoonful and work up to about 2-3 teaspoons per day gradually)
3)a can of sardines packed in water once a week
4)possibly start a glucosamine supplement early to prevent arthritis eg. Vitaflex-4000 1/2 teaspoonful daily https://www.bigdweb.com/product/acti+flex+4000+solution+32+oz.do

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Very handsome...good luck!

Cool gals

Aug 30, 2017
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly and Bo
Hi, I'm new to the forum and have just come back from the vet with the same problem with our Molly. She's 4 years old and has exactly what your describing. My vet says it's infected dermititis, bullies just get it, it's nothing I did or didn't do.. he gave her a shot of slow release antibiotic and I have to wash her every day with malaseb shampoo for a week. I also have to put a cream called betafuse on the spots. Your pics look very like amply show skin although Molly is a bit worse. Apparently the infection damages the hair root and that's why the hair falls out but it will grow back. Hope this helps..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you to everyone...

I ordered the supplies for Bubba today.

Shampoo: Ketohex
Ointment for hot spot: Durvet Nu-Stock (seems like this stuff will stink and maybe turn his fur black?!)
Probiotic: Herbsmith Microflora Plus Capsule for Pet Digestion
Food: The Honest Kitchen Turkey

Hopefully this stuff helps!! You guys are the BEST!!

Realized I never showed a picture of the little guy you are helping out.

Here is Bubba!

View attachment 107909

Hi ya handsome.... mom is gonna have you fixed up your n no time

OP
B

bulldogdad34

Jul 23, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubba
What a great looking guy! Don't forget to transition him gradually to the Honest Kitchen over at least a week- 3/4: 1/4, 1/2: 1/2 then 1/4 :3/4 of the old one:new one. You can expect him to have bigger bowel movements and see vegetables in the poo with the Honest Kitchen, so don't worry about this.

If you want to make him really healthy add to his food once daily :
1)turmeric ( start with 1/2 teaspoon and work up to about 1 teaspoon per day ) eg. Club House brand from Costco, with about 10 grinds of fresh pepper
2)coconut oil ( start with 1 teaspoonful and work up to about 2-3 teaspoons per day gradually)
3)a can of sardines packed in water once a week
4)possibly start a glucosamine supplement early to prevent arthritis eg. Vitaflex-4000 1/2 teaspoonful daily https://www.bigdweb.com/product/acti+flex+4000+solution+32+oz.do

Thank you for the information.

I have him on a daily probiotic now ( Herbsmith Microflora Plus).

Would you still recommend that glucosamine supplement? If so, it seems that one is for horses how do you know dosage for your bully?

Will add in the turmeric and coconut oil. Do you put this in the food for both meals or just one?

Lastly, do you suggest doing the honest kitchen for both meals or just one?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Glucosamine supplement is optional- MAY help prevent arthritis in later years, I'd give 1/2 tsp Vitaflex 4000 daily if under 50 pounds and 3/4 tsp daily if over 50 pounds. It's also got bioperine to help with turmeric absorption so I give it at same time as turmeric in food.

I just add the turmeric and coconut oil and pepper to one meal per day.

I would do Honest Kitchen for both meals if you can afford it.

I also add about 1/4 tsp kelp powder once or twice daily to help with preventing dental tartar buildup. Optional as well since raw food is not supposed to cause tartar buildup.

https://www.amazon.com/Starwest-Botanicals-Organic-Powder-Pound/dp/B004XIS14M/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1504558285&sr=1-1&keywords=starwest+botanical+organic+kelp

Thank you for the information.

I have him on a daily probiotic now ( Herbsmith Microflora Plus).

Would you still recommend that glucosamine supplement? If so, it seems that one is for horses how do you know dosage for your bully?

Will add in the turmeric and coconut oil. Do you put this in the food for both meals or just one?

Lastly, do you suggest doing the honest kitchen for both meals or just one?

OP
B

bulldogdad34

Jul 23, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubba
Glucosamine supplement is optional- MAY help prevent arthritis in later years, I'd give 1/2 tsp Vitaflex 4000 daily if under 50 pounds and 3/4 tsp daily if over 50 pounds. It's also got bioperine to help with turmeric absorption so I give it at same time as turmeric in food.

I just add the turmeric and coconut oil and pepper to one meal per day.

I would do Honest Kitchen for both meals if you can afford it.

I also add about 1/4 tsp kelp powder once or twice daily to help with preventing dental tartar buildup. Optional as well since raw food is not supposed to cause tartar buildup.

https://www.amazon.com/Starwest-Botanicals-Organic-Powder-Pound/dp/B004XIS14M/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1504558285&sr=1-1&keywords=starwest+botanical+organic+kelp

Thank you. The probiotic wouldn't help with arthritis? He is 8.5 so I am sure that isn't far off!

Members online

No members online now.