General Question Red nipple

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Having had a dog with terrible allergies (Chumly), I would avoid long-term steroid use. When Chumly was alive, there was no apoquel or cytopoint and we had to make do with weekly injections. It helped a lot. We did have to do the odd short term steroids when he would have bad flare-ups just to get him over the hump but I got him off them ASAP. I would really question your vet about alternatives.

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
I will look into that thank you I'm really not happy about long term meds but I don't want him uncomfortable either.
He is raw fed as he had severe intestinal and digestive issues on kibble. He has a highly sensitive stomach so we can also only feed a certain pre mixed raw food or else his tummy gets upset so I have no real option there as I've tried all the available (in Ireland) options and this is the only one that doesn't make him ill.
I guess he's just a sensitive soul all over poor guy [emoji20]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Olive lives in Ireland and i think George is on raw food... not sure cytopoint is available there or not, but if i remember right... he has some of both food and environmental which is why Olive went raw for George
[MENTION=15045]Evilo[/MENTION] Hope I remember that all correctly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done you have an excellent memory I wish mine was as good [emoji6]

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
I'm just re reading my update and when I say he may have to continue them for his life it would only be one tablet a week. I was trying to get as much info into the update without making it too long so I'm hoping that clarifies things a bit sorry for not being more exact.

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Live time steroids???? Errrrrr you better start asking questions on that. I would be the first to go against that for sure. What kind of food is he feed? Go holistic before steroids would be my way. Panting is a big side effect so image a breed like EB panting more? Like a double whammy. Ask as much questions as you can n write them down if you have to. Sometimes we forget. Here's a link that might help you with your questions.

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/steroid-treatment-long-term-effects-in-dogs

Thank you I have now since reading all replies clarified that the steroid long term would only be one tablet a week which I think might be ok and thinking more about it, it could just be for the summer when environmental allergies are worst. Funny enough George has no problems with breathing and only pants if he does serious physical activity.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I will look into that thank you I'm really not happy about long term meds but I don't want him uncomfortable either.
He is raw fed as he had severe intestinal and digestive issues on kibble. He has a highly sensitive stomach so we can also only feed a certain pre mixed raw food or else his tummy gets upset so I have no real option there as I've tried all the available (in Ireland) options and this is the only one that doesn't make him ill.
I guess he's just a sensitive soul all over poor guy [emoji20] Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I feel for you when you do everything possible and not the results you're looking for. Is George on probiotics ? I know I mentioned this often but if he has stomach/intestinal problems if he's not already on it, get him probiotics with the most "live strains" you can find (12 and up)in your health food stores in the FRIDGE notttttt on the shelves!! Mix it with a bit of coconut oil or in his food. Fermented Sauerkraut in the fridge again is the best as you add it everyday in his food. Keeps the links on hand. Lots info that works!!!. Also bare in mind probiotis works 200% better with your prebiotic. Read the link it explains it well. Same rules for humans or dogs!!!

https://draxe.com/prebiotics/

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
I feel for you when you do everything possible and not the results you're looking for. Is George on probiotics ? I know I mentioned this often but if he has stomach/intestinal problems if he's not already on it, get him probiotics with the most "live strains" you can find (12 and up)in your health food stores in the FRIDGE notttttt on the shelves!! Mix it with a bit of coconut oil or in his food. Fermented Sauerkraut in the fridge again is the best as you add it everyday in his food. Keeps the links on hand. Lots info that works!!!. Also bare in mind probiotis works 200% better with your prebiotic. Read the link it explains it well. Same rules for humans or dogs!!!

https://draxe.com/prebiotics/

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

He does get kefir but not everyday and it's probably not a very high quality one it's not very easily found where I live (small rural area) I have only this week found a place that may have a better quality one I will try and get that as soon as I can. Thank you again for all your help.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
All kinds of good probiotics can be ordered online through Amazon. I'm not a fan of long term steriod use either...weekly pulsed or not. If Apoquel is available, that's a much better long term med. If not available, and you simply must use the steriod(Prednisone) then I encourage you to "play" with the dosage until you find the LEAST amount that you baby can get by with. Additionally, it's always been our experience that a very low daily or semi daily dose is better than weekly pulsing. Weekly dosing would create a roller-coaster effect, IMO non-professional opinion.
And I do question your Vet's method.

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
All kinds of good probiotics can be ordered online through Amazon. I'm not a fan of long term steriod use either...weekly pulsed or not. If Apoquel is available, that's a much better long term med. If not available, and you simply must use the steriod(Prednisone) then I encourage you to "play" with the dosage until you find the LEAST amount that you baby can get by with. Additionally, it's always been our experience that a very low daily or semi daily dose is better than weekly pulsing. Weekly dosing would create a roller-coaster effect, IMO non-professional opinion.
And I do question your Vet's method.

A lot of products like probiotics can't be shipped to Ireland as far as I know. I will ask about an antihistamine but I'm hoping it will not be a long term thing I will do everything I can to not medicate my dog I have a hard enough time that he has to have vaccinations yearly. I barely take a pain killer myself even when I'm in severe pain so I will never medicate without much questioning and trying everything else first. I just gave an update on what happened I tried to keep it short and to the point but maybe I should have been much more specific about my thoughts as opposed to just repeating what the vet had said. He does not want George on medication at all but as with myself he wants him comfortable and not in any pain. He is a good man and has helped us through many problems with George not least his tail amputation which he performed very reluctantly but I must say he did an amazing job we had George home the same day and he had a very small scar unlike some I've seen performed by so called 'bulldog vets'.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
He does not want George on medication at all but as with myself he wants him comfortable and not in any pain. He is a good man and has helped us through many problems with George not least his tail amputation which he performed very reluctantly but I must say he did an amazing job we had George home the same day and he had a very small scar unlike some I've seen performed by so called 'bulldog vets'.
I had a feeling that a med like Apoquel would not be available there...or perhaps access to other stuff. I can feel your concern in your postings and while I'm confident that you want the absolute best for your baby in terms of medication and Vet care I cannot help but wonder why he recommends weekly pulsing of a steroid. I recommend that you question this when you see him next. Oral steroid does not have long lasting effect(as a rule) and weekly means that he is feeling great for 2 days, fair for 2 days, and crappy for 3 days...again, as a rule. I would think that every other day lower dose may be a better regimen. This is just food for thought.
Your Vet may know something I do not and his case may be very different from average "normal" cases. Again, I think you want what is absolutely the best for your beautiful boy and it's apparent you have complete confidence in your Vet...that's a good thing.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm just re reading my update and when I say he may have to continue them for his life it would only be one tablet a week. I was trying to get as much info into the update without making it too long so I'm hoping that clarifies things a bit sorry for not being more exact.

Never worry about a long post with us we are all interested in every detail you can give so we can help if possible hugs to your baby George

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Never worry about a long post with us we are all interested in every detail you can give so we can help if possible hugs to your baby George

Thank you I really will do everything possible to make sure he's not on meds long term.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I'm just wondering does George really need yearly vaccinations? Once the dog is 2 years old I believe it's ok to give rabies vaccine every 3 years and the core vaccine about every 5 years. If you are worried about core vaccine not working, you can check titres yearly and then give the core vaccine if titres get too low. The non core vaccines have questionable efficacy and have to be repeated yearly, so I haven't been giving those to my dogs.

A lot of products like probiotics can't be shipped to Ireland as far as I know. I will ask about an antihistamine but I'm hoping it will not be a long term thing I will do everything I can to not medicate my dog I have a hard enough time that he has to have vaccinations yearly. I barely take a pain killer myself even when I'm in severe pain so I will never medicate without much questioning and trying everything else first. I just gave an update on what happened I tried to keep it short and to the point but maybe I should have been much more specific about my thoughts as opposed to just repeating what the vet had said. He does not want George on medication at all but as with myself he wants him comfortable and not in any pain. He is a good man and has helped us through many problems with George not least his tail amputation which he performed very reluctantly but I must say he did an amazing job we had George home the same day and he had a very small scar unlike some I've seen performed by so called 'bulldog vets'.

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
I will be questioning it this year as he is just gone 2 and will be due around September for his shots. I understand here in Ireland kennel cough is done yearly and if not you can't put a dog in any type of kennel or day care. I don't worm him or give him flea or tick treatments the vet is on board with this so I know he doesn't over Medicate for the sake of it.
Thank you for your input I will bear I it I'm mind.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I'm going to paste some excerpts from a couple of websites:
Most vaccine protocols for 3 year rabies are as follows:
The initial rabies vaccine (administered to puppies at around 16 weeks of age) is good for one year.
At one year of age another 1 year rabies vaccine is needed.
At two years of age, the 3 year rabies vaccine may be given.
Adult dogs and cats that have an unknown vaccination history or who have not received a 1 year rabies vaccine before, must receive a 1 year rabies vaccine and then the next year they may qualify for the 3 year vaccine.

For core vaccines … Protection against disease from these vaccines has been proven by clinical studies to last from 7 to 15 years (depending on the vaccine).
If your dog has had any of the core vaccines at 16 weeks of age or older, he’s most likely protected for life and doesn’t need to be vaccinated again.

Members online

No members online now.