General Question New rescue won't listen unless I raise my voice

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you Hankster. She sure deserves a better life, way better than her past and I am going to do everything in my power to ensure she does. Shirley has been accident free for 5 consecutive days now in the smaller room! I guess I gave her her own room too soon, will give it another attempt mid to late next week if she remains accident free. She has really been enjoying outside time, makes me wonder if she's ever had outside time before the rescue. It's been really nice weather last couple of days, so I've let her have plenty of sunshine :0) I have recently notice if I move too fast she will cower to the ground and her jaw is misaligned. I will have my vet check her jaw on our first check up/flea and tick treatment this month. This tells me my baby has had a horrific start to her life and has been tormented and beaten. I expected some baggage as she was a puppy mill breeder mama, but I was not expecting all of this. I want to help her through these issues and get her past these things, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated for a sweet baby girl who blatantly ignores me. I took a video of her ignoring me on my phone, is there anyway to post it here for suggestions on that? The reason I started this thread....

Load the video to YouTube, then post the link here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Ah ha! Figured out how to make a new YouTube account!
Here's the video link of Shirley blatantly ignoring me. Is this just normal bulldog defiance and how do I overcome this?

https://youtu.be/v5gkSpXEmhU

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ah ha! Figured out how to make a new YouTube account!
Here's the video link of Shirley blatantly ignoring me. Is this just normal bulldog defiance and how do I overcome this?

https://youtu.be/v5gkSpXEmhU

Is it possible she doesnā€™t know her name or she doesnā€™t understand to respond? If in a crate her whole life she may not know how to interact with your voice.

Maybe use treats and say her name and if she looks at you reward her
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] .. any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
She definitely knows her name. She's proven that she does. This is what I am dealing with if there's nothing she wants or is interested in and it's me wanting her attention. She also blatantly ignores me if something else sparked her attention.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
She definitely knows her name. She's proven that she does. This is what I am dealing with if there's nothing she wants or is interested in and it's me wanting her attention. She also blatantly ignores me if something else sparked her attention.

OH OK.... sheā€™s a bulldog!!! Iā€™ve seen many with that behavior if you have nothing to interest them or donā€™t have food they couldnā€™t be bothered. Others want your attention 24/7 and are your shadow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I think she simply does not know what you want from her. You need to train her using high value treats/rewards. Find out what motivates her most and begin the repetitive training. Start with something simple and use a single voice command and simple single hand gesture at the same time. She should eventually "get it" and when she does learn that command she will do it with little more than a hand gesture.
Everyone that interacts with her must be using the same commands that you designate.
For example...
Tell her to sit and use a hand gesture of your choosing. If she doesn't sit then help her to the sitting position...once there treat her immediately. Repeat, repeat, repeat...
It can help if you have a helper to push her butt down whilst issuing the commands. This girl has lived many years with ZERO interaction and it will take lots of time a patience to get through to her. Be vigilant and measure your progress in weeks, not days or hours.

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
I guess Shirley is bipolar.... either she blatantly ignores me OR I must give her my full undivided attention and I best have my hand on her when she's not snoring her head off and rattling windows and screen doors. She sits with her head up staring at the ceiling ALOT and for long periods of time. Is that from being kept in a small cage or is that a normal bulldog thing? I need to get her over the ignoring me completely so I can better train her and help her work through and get past her baggage and for me not to get frustrated feeling like I'm failing her.

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
I think she simply does not know what you want from her. You need to train her using high value treats/rewards. Find out what motivates her most and begin the repetitive training. Start with something simple and use a single voice command and simple single hand gesture at the same time. She should eventually "get it" and when she does learn that command she will do it with little more than a hand gesture.
Everyone that interacts with her must be using the same commands that you designate.
For example...
Tell her to sit and use a hand gesture of your choosing. If she doesn't sit then help her to the sitting position...once there treat her immediately. Repeat, repeat, repeat...
It can help if you have a helper to push her butt down whilst issuing the commands. This girl has lived many years with ZERO interaction and it will take lots of time a patience to get through to her. Be vigilant and measure your progress in weeks, not days or hours.

Thanks Oscarmayer. We have made a significant amount of progress since bringing her home. She's learned sit, stay, wait, chill, hold up, off, up, come, and still with hand gestures on some, just voice on others. Sometimes she will ignore these commands if there's no treats involved but I know she's gotten them down. We are still not getting lay yet. I am disabled with a flail right arm and hand so putting her in positions is not possible. I am alone and the only help I have comes on Sunday mornings. I give her the baked treats that the rescue provided during our daily training sessions. I just don't know how to get her to stop blatantly ignoring me which is about 80% of the time now.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

If you notice on the video, while sheā€™s starring up in the air, sheā€™s moving her eyes looking around without moving her head. Sheā€™s definitely listening n know her surroundings. Probably traumatized living in a small cage pumping out babies. Give her time, you just got her. Will take a while. I wouldnā€™t worry as from what Iā€™m reading youā€™re doing a great job. I personally would hold onto the flea/tick as itā€™s winter n some might get reactions which you donā€™t want to deal with for time being. Give her a break, enjoy her, let her get use to you, her food, her toys, her walks....... I never used any meds for tick or fleas. I use a mix ive made with essential oils n I go walk often in the Rockies with my dogs. To this day, they get their oil mix spray on them n thatā€™s it. But...... thatā€™s a personal decision. Just donā€™t rush, get to know her as sheā€™ll come around. Training on daily basis is a must. But yes....Baby steps!! :yes:

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
If you notice on the video, while sheā€™s starring up in the air, sheā€™s moving her eyes looking around without moving her head. Sheā€™s definitely listening n know her surroundings. Probably traumatized living in a small cage pumping out babies. Give her time, you just got her. Will take a while. I wouldnā€™t worry as from what Iā€™m reading youā€™re doing a great job. I personally would hold onto the flea/tick as itā€™s winter n some might get reactions which you donā€™t want to deal with for time being. Give her a break, enjoy her, let her get use to you, her food, her toys, her walks....... I never used any meds for tick or fleas. I use a mix ive made with essential oils n I go walk often in the Rockies with my dogs. To this day, they get their oil mix spray on them n thatā€™s it. But...... thatā€™s a personal decision. Just donā€™t rush, get to know her as sheā€™ll come around. Training on daily basis is a must. But yes....Baby steps!! :yes:

I know she hears me, she's just blatantly ignoring me. I know she knows her name, but won't even look at me when I say her name or call her as you see in the video. At first I'd just get louder and louder till I was basically yelling before she would react at all beyond what she does as seen in the video, but her reaction was cowering, not a good thing making it obvious she had been abused, so I stopped doing that trying to find other options and I reached out for help here. I can't work on a solution when I can't figure out the cause of this problem. If I move too quickly or even turn my head towards her quickly no matter the tone of my voice including baby talk she cowers. I have no doubt she was abused and most likely beaten. Is her staring at the ceiling something that EBD's commonly do or is it aftermath of her past? I just want to help her get over her baggage and have a nice happy rest of her life. I'm all in on the patience, time, and baby steps, but this ignoring is something I'd like to nip in the butt asap. I've raised and trained and owned horses for over 40 years, I'm quite familiar with the patience and being repetitive. All my furkids including my Juliana piglets are all very well behaved by my training. Shirley is my 1st bulldog and I'm a little lost here, some of these issues I'm coming across aren't found online for the breed behavior. Oh the vet visit is an initial check up and the reminder says flea and tick rx, since I live in rural country area on acreage near a lake and surrounded by wooded area with a tick problem, I will have to have her on a flea and tick preventative whether it's meds or natural oils. Every natural oil combination I tried on my horses has not helped them at all.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I know she hears me, she's just blatantly ignoring me. I know she knows her name, but won't even look at me when I say her name or call her as you see in the video. At first I'd just get louder and louder till I was basically yelling before she would react at all beyond what she does as seen in the video, but her reaction was cowering, not a good thing making it obvious she had been abused, so I stopped doing that trying to find other options and I reached out for help here. I can't work on a solution when I can't figure out the cause of this problem. If I move too quickly or even turn my head towards her quickly no matter the tone of my voice including baby talk she cowers. I have no doubt she was abused and most likely beaten. Is her staring at the ceiling something that EBD's commonly do or is it aftermath of her past? I just want to help her get over her baggage and have a nice happy rest of her life. I'm all in on the patience, time, and baby steps, but this ignoring is something I'd like to nip in the butt asap. I've raised and trained and owned horses for over 40 years, I'm quite familiar with the patience and being repetitive. All my furkids including my Juliana piglets are all very well behaved by my training. Shirley is my 1st bulldog and I'm a little lost here, some of these issues I'm coming across aren't found online for the breed behavior. Oh the vet visit is an initial check up and the reminder says flea and tick rx, since I live in rural country area on acreage near a lake and surrounded by wooded area with a tick problem, I will have to have her on a flea and tick preventative whether it's meds or natural oils. Every natural oil combination I tried on my horses has not helped them at all.

here i am offering services... ie helsonwhels.. but she has a brilliant essential oil combo for fleas and ticks. i've used it for years but am not home where i can get the recepie for you but it would be something you may want to try... and as for the darling ignoring you,,, of course i dont know this but, as for me, i too have trained horses and had many many dogs (even my service dog) that have been a whole different animal than this bulldog of mine. Oh, he's smart,, too smart. they think for themselves and if it benefits them, miraculously can hear. At least thats my Hanks case. He's gotton much better, gut geeze,, i cant believe the difference. It's what makes them endearing on one hand and oh so frustrating on another. It just surprised me what *I* had to learn about the bulldog breed. Love um to pieces ohhhhhhh boy, they can be a different challenge than i've encountered in the past.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Hereā€™s the recipe

FOR TICKS

14 oz of Witch Hazel
12 drops of Lavender
15 drops of Citronella
15 drops of Lemongrass

Make sure itā€™s lemongrass n NOT lemon. A lot of members uses this recipe mix n works great even on humans. Like I mentioned I walk often in the Rockies n yes Rockies do have ticks. Now this is MY opinion n I respect peopleā€™s decisions with flea/tick shots or meds style. I donā€™t believe in any chemicals as itā€™s a proven fact flea/tick meds are all made with pesticides even their famous collars. Youā€™re wrapping your pet in pesticide plus if thereā€™s children playing or touching the collar n ends up putting their fingers in their mouth like they all do, thatā€™s not good for the child. Iā€™m more on the holistic approach. Unless it was a life or death situation, thatā€™s different but maintenance is the number one thing to do on regular basis to prevent life n death situations. Again thatā€™s me.

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
I know right! So different! It's pretty sad yet funny that your horses come when called from 2 acres away better than your dog does at 3 feet away!

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Hereā€™s the recipe

FOR TICKS

14 oz of Witch Hazel
12 drops of Lavender
15 drops of Citronella
15 drops of Lemongrass

Make sure itā€™s lemongrass n NOT lemon. A lot of members uses this recipe mix n works great even on humans. Like I mentioned I walk often in the Rockies n yes Rockies do have ticks. Now this is MY opinion n I respect peopleā€™s decisions with flea/tick shots or meds style. I donā€™t believe in any chemicals as itā€™s a proven fact flea/tick meds are all made with pesticides even their famous collars. Youā€™re wrapping your pet in pesticide plus if thereā€™s children playing or touching the collar n ends up putting their fingers in their mouth like they all do, thatā€™s not good for the child. Iā€™m more on the holistic approach. Unless it was a life or death situation, thatā€™s different but maintenance is the number one thing to do on regular basis to prevent life n death situations. Again thatā€™s me.

I am not opposed at all to trying natural vs meds. I just haven't found any mixture that has worked for me yet. I will definitely try yours! I have tried mixture of peppermint, lavender, and lemongrass, I've tried crushed clove with babyoil and lemongrass, I've tried citronella and lemongrass.... never would have thought to use witchazel, will keep you updated if it works here. Thank you!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I noticed in your video, that you keep repeating her name, over and over. I think doing that too much, will not teach her anything, but enforce the fact of her ignoring by getting her" programmed" to ignore it. One thing I (just an idea) would do is have a leash on her and call her name only twice and the second time, pull her a littlee closer to you, and give her something great(like a piece of cooked liver, or heart-only for that "excercise".) Just a little closer at first. She may have had some trauma associated with her name being called, and perhaps you can reprogram her and associate it with something good. Not really knowing what she has been through, trying different "tricks" may be a better outcome. [MENTION=20037]Shirley Wigglebutt[/MENTION] With dogs of unknown backgrounds, you have to try to be creative, to see what works. I have had several rescues, and had to come up with different scenarios for different dogs. Bulldogs are the most stubborn and pretty darn smart in what THEY want to do.:yes:

Members online

No members online now.