Nettle for seasonal allergies

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thanks... I'll definitely make sure I have it for next season then, but will look into finding it in my area now.

Basil essential oil reduces the inflammatory response of allergens. Add to the food and/or diffuser where he sleeps.

Or......Anti-inflammatory - Ginger, Rosemary and of course Basil.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Basil essential oil reduces the inflammatory response of allergens. Add to the food and/or diffuser where he sleeps.

I’ll have to add these to my collection!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

I have recently, last week, added ginger and turmeric to their food. Looks like basil/rosemary is coming in to.

OP
RiiSi

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Remember that the herbs must be organic or for, not just the ones used as spices. Spices have been treated so that most health benefits are lost.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

So these anti-inflammatory oils work just the same when inhaling them from the diffuser as say rubbing them on your skin?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
For you guys with who's bully's have seasonal allergies. I'm studying to become a herbalist and at least for people taking nettle before allergy season starts helps to reduce the symptoms. A lot of the herbs have similar effect on dogs. And if it doesn't have that effect it is not harmless at all and has other benefits. it is rich in protein, vitamins A, C, K, B complex, as well as minerals such as calcium, phosphorus, iron, magnesium, and potassium. It also has antibacterial, astringent and antihistamine properties.

Many thanks for sharing - interesting! I know nettle soup is great this time of year but that nettles can reduce allergy symptoms was new to me! I will tell Castor straight away. :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
So these anti-inflammatory oils work just the same when inhaling them from the diffuser as say rubbing them on your skin?

better ingested but on the other hand, diffuser will kill pathogens/airborne throughout the day/evening.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
better ingested but on the other hand, diffuser will kill pathogens/airborne throughout the day/evening.

I LOVE oils :) AND,,, how much for food intake... rosemary? (and caution here as some have allergy to this one,, my shih tzu did. Well, not allergy but triggered seizures :( ) , and basil? give me/us ;) the recipie of how much, each meal, etc. please :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I LOVE oils :) AND,,, how much for food intake... rosemary? (and caution here as some have allergy to this one,, my shih tzu did. Well, not allergy but triggered seizures :( ) , and basil? give me/us ;) the recipie of how much, each meal, etc. please :)

All depends if your dog will accept the basil or rosemary. Rosemary is very powerful. Absolutely needs to be diluted in a diffuser or in wet food. I sure wouldn’t go more than one drop in wet food. Now when I say wet food I mean a full meal n not a snack. Same for basil. If it triggers seizures to your shih tzu I wouldn’t bother giving it to hank in case ST eats his food by accident and you’re not looking. There are so many other oils that does the same job as Rosemary n Basil why risk. Basil is probably one of the best for arthritis even for humans. One drop only per day. In water or wet food. Or buy fresh add to the food. Fresh herbs are fantastic in food as you know.

https://drericz.com/essential-oils-for-dogs/

OP
RiiSi

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Essential oils are not recommended taken internally for humans and I would NOT give essential oils for my dogs eather. There is a new wave of thinking that it is ok to take essential oils internally, but i'm "Old school" with this.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
All good info here… I often grow basil so I will maybe drop in a leaf and I always have rosemary plants so have some ideas going. My shih tzus are in heaven now so now have rosemary growing everywhere. Will be dropping these oils in diffusers though as well. Thanks :) and I often drop bergamot in my tea pot so I am personally not afraid of internal oils ;) But I am one who does moderate in everything I think.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I’m a firm believer to each(s) own... I always said I respect everyone’s opinions. Why we have freedom of speech.

I’m also from the old school which is why I would go the holistic way before any meds. Unless I have “no” choice. Essential oils have been around for 10000 years just like acupuncture. Even in the Bible before birth of Christ. Even though I don’t go to church nor practice it, oils are still mentioned in the Bible, Egyptian and Mesopotamian etc. Back then there was only like around 7 oils. It’s basically fluids of plants, or like we say... the ‘lifeblood of the plant. Today I personally believe there are way to many oils for NO reason. It’s turning into a fashion state. I only stick to specific ones and that’s it. A lot of today’s medicine are made from oils, flowers, or plants etc. oils are meant more to be rub on a body or in a diffuser. There are some you can be taken internally but yes not all as that would not be very smart on your part. So yes it’s all about what you believe in. :yes:

https://www.collective-evolution.co...ses-science-behind-the-use-of-essential-oils/

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I’m a firm believer to each(s) own... I always said I respect everyone’s opinions. Why we have freedom of speech.

I’m also from the old school which is why I would go the holistic way before any meds. Unless I have “no” choice. Essential oils have been around for 10000 years just like acupuncture. Even in the Bible before birth of Christ. Even though I don’t go to church nor practice it, oils are still mentioned in the Bible, Egyptian and Mesopotamian etc. Back then there was only like around 7 oils. It’s basically fluids of plants, or like we say... the ‘lifeblood of the plant. Today I personally believe there are way to many oils for NO reason. It’s turning into a fashion state. I only stick to specific ones and that’s it. A lot of today’s medicine are made from oils, flowers, or plants etc. oils are meant more to be rub on a body or in a diffuser. There are some you can be taken internally but yes not all as that would not be very smart on your part. So yes it’s all about what you believe in. :yes:

https://www.collective-evolution.co...ses-science-behind-the-use-of-essential-oils/

I LOVE that we get lots of 'ideas' here and learn from it all. And on these oils, and other holistic ways, im one that always head there first as well. I have seen through these years the difference they make in *my* life and my dogs, and even educate as best i can to my children these 'old' ways, and some they go with and others they dont. I love them for that :) Im cautious of most oil ingest, but defiantly not all and love what they can help with. I use oregano oil at first sign of sore throat and while all around me succumb to it, i seem to escape the depths of it. I was told by someone once DONT DO IT! I say, yep, doin it :) So, yep, each to his own and appreciate all input when it comes to these things. Still thinking of how to get the nettle tea now that i have killed all mine :( guess you can buy ?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I LOVE that we get lots of 'ideas' here and learn from it all. And on these oils, and other holistic ways, im one that always head there first as well. I have seen through these years the difference they make in *my* life and my dogs, and even educate as best i can to my children these 'old' ways, and some they go with and others they dont. I love them for that :) Im cautious of most oil ingest, but defiantly not all and love what they can help with. I use oregano oil at first sign of sore throat and while all around me succumb to it, i seem to escape the depths of it. I was told by someone once DONT DO IT! I say, yep, doin it :) So, yep, each to his own and appreciate all input when it comes to these things. Still thinking of how to get the nettle tea now that i have killed all mine :( guess you can buy ?

https://www.amazon.com/Nettle-Stinging-Leaf-Cut-Sifted/dp/B00016XK2S?th=1 It’s organic

https://www.livestrong.com/article/440537-nettle-tea-benefits-and-warnings/

Members online

No members online now.