General Question My EBs Eyes are a Mess !

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Every day it seems my EBs Eyes are filled with what I can only describe as "Gloop". Large masses of white Glop that totally cover his eye. I have never seen a dog have this type of mess in his eyes every day, upon waking in the morning, and anytime after a Nap. I have to Rinse them out with Sterile Eye Solution and flush and flush until all that Glop comes out of his eyes.

Does anyone else experience this with their EB ?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I just went through this with my French Bulldog and ended up taking him to the vet yesterday cause his left eye kept getting goop and yesterday morning I wiped it 4 times within a few minutes cause it just kept coming back and he wasn't opening it all the way. The vet checked for scratches and there were none but it was all red and irritated so he gave us some drops. It could possibly be caused by allergies. I am a freak when it comes to eyes as it can go all wrong pretty quickly if there is an underlying eye issue. Have you had the vet check his eyes out?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Could be chronic dry-eye. Tacrolimus works great for dry eye. Hoping it's just seasonal allergies.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
We just went through it with Monty. His eyes would be completely covered with it. Allergies and dry eye according to the vet. The Tacrolimus works well and he's on it forever. It's just a bit of a pain because I never knew a dog that can scrunch his eyes up so tight!!! It's a two-man job often with Monty!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Wally is having the same issues... although his eyes have a green discharge to them. The vet has seen him, and concluded they are allergies... this year has been awful.

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
My girl got it too. The vet said, itā€™s allergies. The weather here in Socal was hot and cold . I do wipe her eyes with a soft wash cloth. Just water and wipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Yes, Maximus does infact have Allergies, he has also had Entropion surgery, he has been on Tacrolimus, and Yes, he does have dry eye.
He has been to a Vet Opthalmologist a few times. He is also on Apoquel for his Allergies, and Ketoconazole, the Anti-fungal. I give him
Benadryl daily as well. He really is for me, a full-time job, as I have to examine him from head to toe every day. He also has Hyperkeratosis on all four paw pads and his nose as well. If I don't keep his nose lubricated, it drys out and chunks of it will fall off.
I keep Sterile Eye Wash in the house at all times to wash out the Glop that is in his eyes every day. I really don't know how he even see's with that stuff in his eyes. Thank You all for your input and advice. It is appreciated.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
What food do you have him on, Patrick?
Has he ever been allergy tested?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Nyala gets that too. Couple days ago was 2big chunks in each eye. Pass 2days, nothing. Sheā€™s been doing this for a couple yrs on n off. I know itā€™s not her food as sheā€™s eaten well throughout her 2 years acana to raw. She does this also in winter which is less allergy season. So doubt itā€™s allergies. Itā€™s not bothering her at all, itā€™s clear and I would say itā€™s mostly in the morning when she gets up. I changed the detergent for bedding to an organic soap for babies. Might test the soap again as why only in the morning?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, Maximus does infact have Allergies, he has also had Entropion surgery, he has been on Tacrolimus, and Yes, he does have dry eye.
He has been to a Vet Opthalmologist a few times. He is also on Apoquel for his Allergies, and Ketoconazole, the Anti-fungal. I give him
Benadryl daily as well. He really is for me, a full-time job, as I have to examine him from head to toe every day. He also has Hyperkeratosis on all four paw pads and his nose as well. If I don't keep his nose lubricated, it drys out and chunks of it will fall off.
I keep Sterile Eye Wash in the house at all times to wash out the Glop that is in his eyes every day. I really don't know how he even see's with that stuff in his eyes. Thank You all for your input and advice. It is appreciated.

Patrick... ask your vet about Cytopoint shots and removal of apoquel! Cytopoint is natural antibodies that have NO side effects and it lasts fir 4-8 weeks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online