Hello, future owner with questions, thank you

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Thanks so much, does open farms make a dry kibble? If so am I okay just as long as it says for puppy and maybe steer clear of chicken? I didn't see earthborn holistics on chewy?
Earthborn Holistic is there. I just looked at it.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Sooooooooooooooooo Okay Breatheā€¦ā€¦

Listen, high proteins, chicken, formulas etc etc rule of thumb, ā€œifā€ you donā€™t know your dog is allergic, you will NEVER know by avoiding the protein. Like Iā€™ve said, your puppy has recently got off momā€™s milk, very rare any puppy will have allergies. Now Iā€™m not saying he wonā€™t but extremely rare. If you see a bit of loose stools doesnā€™t mean you need to remove that specific protein. Puppies all have loose stools cause they get into everything n sometimes it has nothing to do with food. I always suggest ā€œrotateā€ the proteins, monitor what happens. Keep a journal if you have too. Rotations, adding veggies, giving eggs, organs etc takes time as everything is new to your puppy. Btw, it might not be the protein in the bag thatā€™s the issue either but another ingredient. You will know what works n not within the first yr of you pup. itā€™s time consuming for a few months but works.

Aside from the bickering, our members gave you good advice. Most advice is from trail n errors. It works perfectly for some dogs n totally doesnā€™t for others. Donā€™t mean the owners donā€™t know anything. Itā€™s like going to a vet, they give you advice, you try, either it worked or it backfired n made it worst. Why you need to try n eliminate what works n what doesnā€™t. Just like humans.

OP
D

Dmrock

Sep 1, 2023
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Newman
Sooooooooooooooooo Okay Breatheā€¦ā€¦

Listen, high proteins, chicken, formulas etc etc rule of thumb, ā€œifā€ you donā€™t know your dog is allergic, you will NEVER know by avoiding the protein. Like Iā€™ve said, your puppy has recently got off momā€™s milk, very rare any puppy will have allergies. Now Iā€™m not saying he wonā€™t but extremely rare. If you see a bit of loose stools doesnā€™t mean you need to remove that specific protein. Puppies all have loose stools cause they get into everything n sometimes it has nothing to do with food. I always suggest ā€œrotateā€ the proteins, monitor what happens. Keep a journal if you have too. Rotations, adding veggies, giving eggs, organs etc takes time as everything is new to your puppy. Btw, it might not be the protein in the bag thatā€™s the issue either but another ingredient. You will know what works n not within the first yr of you pup. itā€™s time consuming for a few months but works.

Aside from the bickering, our members gave you good advice. Most advice is from trail n errors. It works perfectly for some dogs n totally doesnā€™t for others. Donā€™t mean the owners donā€™t know anything. Itā€™s like going to a vet, they give you advice, you try, either it worked or it backfired n made it worst. Why you need to try n eliminate what works n what doesnā€™t. Just like humans.
Thank you, I feel like an expert in all the foods now after all the research lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you, I feel like an expert in all the foods now after all the research lol
That will do it to you.... LOL!!!

Luna bulldog

Jul 24, 2023
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Luna
I used to feed Open Farm kibble when my bulldog was very young, and she ended up with terrible yeast issues. Then I did switch to raw diet and if I go camping I feed Natures Logic kibble. No more yeast issues.

Good luck with your new puppy.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I used to feed Open Farm kibble when my bulldog was very young, and she ended up with terrible yeast issues. Then I did switch to raw diet and if I go camping I feed Natures Logic kibble. No more yeast issues.

Good luck with your new puppy.
Good thing every dog is different.

Members online

No members online now.