OP
S

Sinister

Jan 13, 2019
Country
Panama
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Wife is afraid the male will mark and spray her art and furniture and walls...

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

When Louie was around 10-11 months old he did mark in the house a few times (on the trash can in the kitchen, their toy box and in Jax's crate). He got neutered a few weeks before turning 1 and he never marked in the house again. However, neutering is not a guarantee it would stop. Jax, my French Bulldog, to this day has never lifted his leg.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)

Castor (not neutered) is almost 6 years old and has never marked in the house but outdoors he's a zealous marker who definitely knows the value of lifting his leg next to strategic lamp post, trees and corners of buildings.

He's the only dog in our house - in households with more than one dog I assume marking indoors is perhaps more common as it is a social/territorial thing @Cbrugs ? But perhaps no problem when the other dog is a female as I suppose marking is a signal to other males?

Good luck with the pup!

OP
S

Sinister

Jan 13, 2019
Country
Panama
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Thanks for all the replies. I will share this with her.

OP
S

Sinister

Jan 13, 2019
Country
Panama
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Random (but related) question: here are a couple of additional pictures of the brindle female. Is THAT amount of wrinkles on the face (the nose rope of that size) and on the body desirable/undesirable generally, in the breed?

Attachments

• 13653874_867be0.jpg
    13653874_867be0.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 13653874_3eb8fd.jpg
    13653874_3eb8fd.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 89
OP
S

Sinister

Jan 13, 2019
Country
Panama
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
BTW, although the brindle male and females are the most beautiful, and the male did have that instant connection with everyone, the one on the right in this picture, the piebald, has the sweetest face and was getting on her back for me to scratch and was cuddling with my wife, and my wife has a sweet spot for her.

Attachments

• 13653874_a1c9b1.jpg
    13653874_a1c9b1.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Image 2019-01-13 at 3.07.05 PM.jpeg
    Image 2019-01-13 at 3.07.05 PM.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 87
  • Image 2019-01-12 at 9.41.53 PM 3.jpeg
    Image 2019-01-12 at 9.41.53 PM 3.jpeg
    57.9 KB · Views: 89

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
BTW, although the brindle male and females are the most beautiful, and the male did have that instant connection with everyone, the one on the right in this picture, the piebald, has the sweetest face and was getting on her back for me to scratch and was cuddling with my wife, and my wife has a sweet spot for her.

SCREAMING.... LOOK AT THOSE FRECKLES!!! I WANT HER!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
You said the male originally wasn’t available because the sire’s owner was going to take him. I’m curious as to why they changed their mind.

The piebald looks like a sweetie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

Sinister

Jan 13, 2019
Country
Panama
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
You said the male originally wasn’t available because the sire’s owner was going to take him. I’m curious as to why they changed their mind.

The piebald looks like a sweetie!

Supposedly the sire's owner was going to either gift it or sell it to her boss. Her boss, supposedly, now does not want him, so the breeder is selling it for her, but for a few hundred more than the girls because she sets her price independently of the breeder.

OP
S

Sinister

Jan 13, 2019
Country
Panama
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Still wondering what I should do. Been thinking about the Piebald all day because I think she will be the last to go and she was sooo sweet, vs the male, for the reasons above stated, or the brindle female JUST because she is the most visually impacting (assuming those excessive wrinkles aren't a concern). Whatever we do, we get delivery Saturday, supposedly.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Still wondering what I should do. Been thinking about the Piebald all day because I think she will be the last to go and she was sooo sweet, vs the male, for the reasons above stated, or the brindle female JUST because she is the most visually impacting (assuming those excessive wrinkles aren't a concern). Whatever we do, we get delivery Saturday, supposedly.

I’d e grabbing the pie baby. Folds.. can be an issue to keep dry and clean.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names

Piebald!! Sometimes as they grow the nose rope and wrinkles will lessen but as stated, it can be a pain in the butt.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I assume you are getting a family pet, and then I would only be concerned with temperament and possible medical issues, not things like colour.

Re temperament, your husky is still young, but her approach to other dogs is of course relevant. Would she tolerate a dominant female or would she do better with a male? These are just questions on my part - those with multidog households are better equipped to offer advice on gender!

Just a comment regarding male dogs since you have not decided on gender: If you get the male, and if you are at all entertaining the idea of breeding or showing him, I would make sure to have a clause in the contract regarding partial refund if his testicles don't drop. That was part of the contract we signed (standard contract, from the Swedish kennel club). One of Castor's testicles eventually decided not to drop, and we ended up getting a 10 or 15% refund from the breeder. So even before it really got started, that was the end of Castor's career in the show ring! This is not a medical issue and not a problem but cryptorchid dogs should not be used in breeding and they will be disqualified in dog shows (as will neutered dogs still, I believe).

Now, that sounded like males are a bad choice - that was not at all my intention! We have the best of bulldogs and we would definitely get a male dog again if we ever were to get another dog.

OP
S

Sinister

Jan 13, 2019
Country
Panama
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Well, this being Latin America and all, no real breeders, no papers, etc. Regarding color, yes the dog will be a pet, but my wife wants a pet that attracts attention due to Its beauty. Its shallow, maybe, but since she has always wanted a Bulldog she wants to get the best she can.

We were reading yesterday that too many wrinkles isn't desirable and could be unhealthy? Then we also read thatthere should be no white and pink on the noses.

Members online

No members online now.