English Bulldogs and High Elevation

Laurielove_21

Feb 14, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cash
Hi there,

I wad wondering if anyone here has some insight on bulldogs and elevation? I live in San Diego and take a trip to Yosemite almost every year. I just got my puppy 2 months ago and am trying to see if I can bring him with me on my annual trip. Planning to go May since the weather will be fresher but worried about him having a reaction to the elevation. I’ve read many articles advising against having them on an airplane because of the elevation.
Has anyone taken their bulldog to Yosemite????

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
It all depends on your particular bulldog.

If he is not used to altitude changes he will have to be slowly acclimatized to it. There are several walking paths in San Diego with elevation changes that you can try out before taking him to Yosemite. Or you can arrange to leave the dog with a friend and take the trip by yourself.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
We lived at 8700’ in Colorado for years. We moved there with our English Bulldog from VA and had no issues with the elevation. We also took him to multiple times Yosemite from LA with no issues too.

After he passed, we got Joey and she was a Cali puppy. She stayed in Cali until she was 6 months and then we moved her to the mountain for a year. She had no issues.

The flying issue is more because of the temperature and air quality shifts vs it being an elevation issue.

Members online

No members online now.