Does Acana food increase your dog's weight ?

yankydoodle

Nov 28, 2016
Country
South Africa
Bulldog(s) Names
princess, kleintjie
My two dogs weight has increased a lot the last while, and I am beginning to think that it might be the Acana. I feed them the Prairy Poultry. I used to have them on Wild Coast.
I previously had them on Hills and Royal Canin dog food. I feed both of them twice a day, and use a full cup between the both of them (half and half). I give them a bit of cheese in the morning. The one especially needs it as I feed her medication with it. This sort of thing was never really a problem, until this Acana switch.

I am seriously considering changing their food again, as first of all,Acana is really expensive and this weight issue is really bothering me. I'm thinking of going back to Royal Canin.

Any thoughts would be great.
Many thanks.

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
what is their age/sex/weight?

I would just feed less. And I would also get a kitchen scale and measure with the scale rather than scoops

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
When my dog gains, I cut back on the size of the serving and add green beans as a topper. There is really no need to change food because of weight gain unless there are other problems with the food (allergies), especially to RC which is full of fillers and not much else!
Acana and other quality foods are higher in calories. RC 277 calories a cup, Acana Prairie Poultry is 419 a cup. Feeding RC is also a false economy as you have to feed more to satisfy them so the bag will not last as long! As Benny said, measure the serving size to make sure you are not overfeeding. What size is the cup, 8 oz by volume? My boy usually has 1.5 cups a day. 8 years old, low energy, 384 calories a cup of Zignature Duck. I have in fact just cut him back a bit to less than that as he had put on a couple of pounds! Good luck!

OP
yankydoodle

yankydoodle

Nov 28, 2016
Country
South Africa
Bulldog(s) Names
princess, kleintjie
what is their age/sex/weight?

I would just feed less. And I would also get a kitchen scale and measure with the scale rather than scoops

6 & 7.
females.
Weight, I will be guessing wrong if I say. No easy way to weigh them. They are very averse to being forced to do anything. But they are really big. They're leashes just fit them before starting to put pressure on their bodies.

Here's the cup I use

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
While Acana is good food, it didn't work for Louie when I tried it a few years ago. It was just too rich for him. Not all kibble works for all dogs so I always say feed what works. If you want to switch foods, I wouldn't go back to the RC but there are different and better kibbles you can try like Zignature, Open Farm, Earthborn, Stella & Chewy's just to name a few. Good luck!

OP
yankydoodle

yankydoodle

Nov 28, 2016
Country
South Africa
Bulldog(s) Names
princess, kleintjie
While Acana is good food, it didn't work for Louie when I tried it a few years ago. It was just too rich for him. Not all kibble works for all dogs so I always say feed what works. If you want to switch foods, I wouldn't go back to the RC but there are different and better kibbles you can try like Zignature, Open Farm, Earthborn, Stella & Chewy's just to name a few. Good luck!

Many thanks!

Bulldog2001

May 5, 2022
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
My two dogs weight has increased a lot the last while, and I am beginning to think that it might be the Acana. I feed them the Prairy Poultry. I used to have them on Wild Coast.
I previously had them on Hills and Royal Canin dog food. I feed both of them twice a day, and use a full cup between the both of them (half and half). I give them a bit of cheese in the morning. The one especially needs it as I feed her medication with it. This sort of thing was never really a problem, until this Acana switch.

I am seriously considering changing their food again, as first of all,Acana is really expensive and this weight issue is really bothering me. I'm thinking of going back to Royal Canin.

Any thoughts would be great.
Many thanks.

Did they do well on Wild Coast??

Just curious as maybe the poultry is a bit more calories than wild coast was.

There are other foods out there that are good quality for kibble.
I would not go back to RC or hills, they are all fillers/garbage.

If it were my dog, I would just cut back on the amount of food your feeding.
Other good kibbles are:
Carna 4
Natures logic
N&D

How many of those cups are you feeding each one daily????

The better quality the less you have to feed them.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would give 1/2 cup kibble and half cup green beans to lower their weight. You can tell a good weight on them by looking over top and seeing a nice V shape to the waist

JannySping

Feb 18, 2021
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
marry
Yes, I can say that I saw great results after my dog started eating Acana food. I have a service dog, more precisely, a labrador. My dream was always to have a service dog. I thought this was pretty cool, and this became a reality after a while. But he started not gaining weight for a while, which seemed quite strange to me. But because I am a service dog owner, I decided to benefit from absolutely everything, so I filled out an online form and got service dog training and Acana food, which made my dog gain weight.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.