Colour?

Tom

Apr 29, 2024
Country
Serbia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bambi
Hello everyone.

I am sorry for beginner type of questions once more. But my family is in the process of getting our first puppy of EB!! Today one breeder who is also a Vet, offered us puppy which seems to be black / grey color (see photo attached). Our children wants red-white (standard color as it seems to me). So this breeder told us this puppy will change color to red-white during time?? This seems as false information to me.. Can anyone please help with.. Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• IMG_1165.jpeg
    IMG_1165.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 25

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
A black and white dog will not turn into a red and white. However, when I zoom in on the photo, at first glance this puppy does not appear to be black and white. The reds are usually born a darker color that does usually become red so itā€™s a possibility. Itā€™s hard to tell based on this one photo. What color are the parents.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles & Moose
The Vet/Breeder you are dealing with is lying. ANY Vet/ANY Breeder knows that the color will NOT change. Some colors may become more muted or more vivid through the first few months of growth but that's it. The LYING should raise a lot of RED FLAGS regarding this pup.
It looks to be a Black Tri...or perhaps a Ghost Merle with white. Better pics would be good. Be aware that any Bulldog with a predominant black coat is predisposed to genetic abnormalities. That's not to say that this pup WILL HAVE issues...just that the likelihood is greater when compared to BCA approved colors. I would not turn this pup down unless something was obviously wrong with it(health-wise) unless Red and White is an absolute.

OP
T

Tom

Apr 29, 2024
Country
Serbia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bambi
The Vet/Breeder you are dealing with is lying. ANY Vet/ANY Breeder knows that the color will NOT change. Some colors may become more muted or more vivid through the first few months of growth but that's it. The LYING should raise a lot of RED FLAGS regarding this pup.
It looks to be a Black Tri...or perhaps a Ghost Merle with white. Better pics would be good. Be aware that any Bulldog with a predominant black coat is predisposed to genetic abnormalities. That's not to say that this pup WILL HAVE issues...just that the likelihood is greater when compared to BCA approved colors. I would not turn this pup down unless something was obviously wrong with it(health-wise) unless Red and White is an absolute

It looks to be a Black Tri...or perhaps a Ghost Merle with white. Better pics would be good. Be aware that any Bulldog with a predominant black coat is predisposed to genetic abnormalities. That's not to say that this pup WILL HAVE issues...just that the likelihood is greater when compared to BCA approved colors. I would not turn this pup down unless something was obviously wrong with it(health-wise) unless Red and White is an absolute.
Thank you so much! For us red-white is an absolute AT this moment. Most important for me was to see if the Vet is lying. And after answers we got here and from other Vets 99.99% is that she is laying. So we will not get this puppy because I personally do not want to establish any cooperation with lying seller/breeder. Many of them hide some info but this was a big lie so who knows what else they can hide..Thanks a lot for you answer!

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Hello everyone.

I am sorry for beginner type of questions once more. But my family is in the process of getting our first puppy of EB!! Today one breeder who is also a Vet, offered us puppy which seems to be black / grey color (see photo attached). Our children wants red-white (standard color as it seems to me). So this breeder told us this puppy will change color to red-white during time?? This seems as false information to me.. Can anyone please help with.. Thanks a lot!
I will disagree with others that say this may be a black dog. I'm currently looking at a litter, 2 weeks old, and the dark ones will be red & white. (See attached photo) I know the pedigree of this litter and am confident they will be reds. My own dog looked a deep dark brown for a few weeks and lightened up. Ask the breeder to see the sire and dame. Another photo of Tebow's litter-note how dark they are. Mine is the one at the very front with his nose in the towel. My pup at 8 weeks-lighting up to red.

Attachments

• 123_2 (1).jpeg
    123_2 (1).jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 12
  • TKNR9745.JPG
    TKNR9745.JPG
    295.3 KB · Views: 12
  • BCYW3534.JPG
    BCYW3534.JPG
    493 KB · Views: 12

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I will disagree with others that say this may be a black dog. I'm currently looking at a litter, 2 weeks old, and the dark ones will be red & white. (See attached photo) I know the pedigree of this litter and am confident they will be reds. My own dog looked a deep dark brown for a few weeks and lightened up. Ask the breeder to see the sire and dame. Another photo of Tebow's litter-note how dark they are. Mine is the one at the very front with his nose in the towel. My pup at 8 weeks-lighting up to red.
That was my thought as well when looking at the photo. The reds are always much darker when first born.

OP
T

Tom

Apr 29, 2024
Country
Serbia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bambi
Thank you for the info. So your puppy was dark when they were on this towel and after few weeks the color became like in this photo where puppy is standing? Please see the photo of newborn puppies from another breeder they look red-white immediately.. By the way, this Vet says that parents of this dark puppy are red.. To be honest I am confused

Attachments

• IMG_1199.jpeg
    IMG_1199.jpeg
    299.2 KB · Views: 5

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Thank you for the info. So your puppy was dark when they were on this towel and after few weeks the color became like in this photo where puppy is standing? Please see the photo of newborn puppies from another breeder they look red-white immediately.. By the way, this Vet says that parents of this dark puppy are red.. To be honest I am confused
My experience is limited as I don't breed bulldogs & have only been active for 1.5 years. I'm one of those annoying owners that asks a LOT of questions to the 'old timers'. For example, I asked the breeder of this current litter about the color. One appeared darker than others. Will likely be a deep red whereas the others will like resemble the sire's shade. (She's been in bulldogs for over 14 years and has bred a handful of litters.) I have seen various hues of reds, varying from very light to rich red and like mine, inbetween, at dog shows. Can you visit the breeder and look at the parents? That's one indicator of the offspring's color. Are there photos from previous breedings of the same dogs & with those puppies about 6-8 weeks old? The photo you posted shows puppies that are also dark in color, some lighter than others. That said, if it were me, I'd care more about the temper & health of the parents than the color of the puppy. But that's me now. If you had asked me 2 years ago, I'd have told you "Only a brindle like my Porkchop". Tebow comes from a breeder that has had all of her dogs health tested according to the recommendations of the Bulldog Club of America. Bulldogs can have a plethora of health issues that can buy your vet a yacht in no time. So after putting my vets on "easy street", I'll go for health history over color. But that's me... In a nutshell, I'll bet that the puppies you are looking at will likely be reds.

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
It is really difficult for me to tell from that photo. I had a bitch that was black tipped, perfectly fine.
I agree with what @Cbrugs and @paw7004 have stated above.
1715479061211.jpeg

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I asked my wife to look at your puppy pic and she agrees with paw7004 and thinks that the pup could end up a red. That makes me out to be the liarā€¦dang it! Instead of accusing your Vet/Breeder of lying, Iā€™m going to do a complete back track and admit that Iā€™m no longer sure. My wife is pretty well informed regarding the breed.
For now, I say wait a bit and see. At minimum, the pup will be with Mom for 8 weeksā€¦ideally, 10 weeks to give ample time for social skill development, Mom correction.
Eating crow is not so bad if itā€™s for the right reason.
Please keep us informed. I hope Iā€™m wrong and this puppy is red and works for your family.

OP
T

Tom

Apr 29, 2024
Country
Serbia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bambi
I asked my wife to look at your puppy pic and she agrees with paw7004 and thinks that the pup could end up a red. That makes me out to be the liarā€¦dang it! Instead of accusing your Vet/Breeder of lying, Iā€™m going to do a complete back track and admit that Iā€™m no longer sure. My wife is pretty well informed regarding the breed.
For now, I say wait a bit and see. At minimum, the pup will be with Mom for 8 weeksā€¦ideally, 10 weeks to give ample time for social skill development, Mom correction.
Please keep us informed. I hope Iā€™m wrong and this puppy is red and works for your family.
Thank you all for the comments. IT is done we chose Bruno, pics attached :) He looks more red then the first one

Attachments

• IMG_1229.png
    IMG_1229.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1215.jpeg
    IMG_1215.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you all for the comments. IT is done we chose Bruno, pics attached :) He looks more red then the first one
That's red alright...no mistaking that! Welcome Bruno. Please keep us posted as Bruno grows up. We love watching them grow.

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
(Not a liar. Merely mistaken. It happens.)

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.