Calorie Questions

Superclyde911

Mar 22, 2021
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. T
I have a 7 month old EBD pup (Mr. T - pic. Below). Was wondering what the approximate caloric intake should be for him. There is much written about cups to feed but this misses the point regarding nutrition. Anyone have any input and/or a calorie intake guideline to consider when feeding an EBD?

Thanks!!!

FF738477-63B4-482F-AD1A-7706E0DADE27.jpegFF738477-63B4-482F-AD1A-7706E0DADE27.jpeg

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Iā€™ve always done by the cup versus calorie count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I have a 7 month old EBD pup (Mr. T - pic. Below). Was wondering what the approximate caloric intake should be for him. There is much written about cups to feed but this misses the point regarding nutrition. Anyone have any input and/or a calorie intake guideline to consider when feeding an EBD?

Thanks!!!

View attachment 121129View attachment 121129

What brand you feeding him?

Most will use simply a measuring cup. Why Iā€™ve asked the brand of puppy kibbles is he eating as some are very high in calories.

OP
S

Superclyde911

Mar 22, 2021
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. T
Feeding Heed Food - Heed Foods

385 calories/cup.

My goal is to understand the caloric intake requirement. Using cups as a measurement is not relevant without knowing the calorie intake that is necessary (or estimated to be necessary).

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Feeding Heed Food - Heed Foods

385 calories/cup.

My goal is to understand the caloric intake requirement. Using cups as a measurement is not relevant without knowing the calorie intake that is necessary (or estimated to be necessary).

I know what you meant why I asked what brand n sadly I donā€™t know your brand. Havenā€™t seen it up here. Soā€¦. lets take Orijen as an example, it probably has one of the highest calorie count: Energy is 3900 kcal/kg (470 kcal per 250ml/120g cup) with calories distributed to support peak conditioning; 39% from protein, 19% from vegetables and fruit, and 42% from fat. In a nutshell feeding will go by weight, neutered or not, activity etcā€¦Yours is a puppy, probably not spayed yet(?!) n most probably active. So would be approx 2500 calories per day. If he needs to lose weight (not your case) remove a good 400 calories. (For future if needed). :)

Hereā€™s a couple links that might help you..Here in Canada we use metric but youā€™ll get itā€¦

https://www.petnutritionalliance.org/dog.php

https://www.petmd.com/blogs/nutritionnuggets/jcoates/2013/aug/how-many-calories-does-dog-need-30849

Forgot to addā€¦.alway better to keep any dog especially EB on the lighter side cause of their breathing. Just a thought.

OP
S

Superclyde911

Mar 22, 2021
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. T
I know what you meant why I asked what brand n sadly I donā€™t know your brand. Havenā€™t seen it up here. Soā€¦. lets take Orijen as an example, it probably has one of the highest calorie count: Energy is 3900 kcal/kg (470 kcal per 250ml/120g cup) with calories distributed to support peak conditioning; 39% from protein, 19% from vegetables and fruit, and 42% from fat. In a nutshell feeding will go by weight, neutered or not, activity etcā€¦Yours is a puppy, probably not spayed yet(?!) n most probably active. So would be approx 2500 calories per day. If he needs to lose weight (not your case) remove a good 400 calories. (For future if needed). :)

Hereā€™s a couple links that might help you..Here in Canada we use metric but youā€™ll get itā€¦

https://www.petnutritionalliance.org/dog.php

https://www.petmd.com/blogs/nutritionnuggets/jcoates/2013/aug/how-many-calories-does-dog-need-30849

Forgot to addā€¦.alway better to keep any dog especially EB on the lighter side cause of their breathing. Just a thought.

Helson Wheels -

Thank you for the response - much appreciated. In fact, your response is a prime example of why I'm asking the question . . .

2500cals. per day would mean approximately 5.5 cups of Orijen per day. I can say with absolute certainty that even walking my puppy 1 mile 2x per day, 2500 calories would turn him into a grossly overweight Hippopotamus!

I estimate the correct intake for a moderately active EBD puppy 6-12month old is approximately 1300 - 1600/day - but it is this number that I'm trying to pin down with more certainty.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Helson Wheels -

Thank you for the response - much appreciated. In fact, your response is a prime example of why I'm asking the question . . .

2500cals. per day would mean approximately 5.5 cups of Orijen per day. I can say with absolute certainty that even walking my puppy 1 mile 2x per day, 2500 calories would turn him into a grossly overweight Hippopotamus!

I estimate the correct intake for a moderately active EBD puppy 6-12month old is approximately 1300 - 1600/day - but it is this number that I'm trying to pin down with more certainty.

I use to feed my German Shepherd Orijen as a pup. He had 3 cups per day and approx 6months I got him off cause he was growing way too fast. But that being said, he was definitely not fat but 6months weight 65lbs eeeee. He just grew so fast. Puppy food is rich in calories but you need to remember something, itā€™s especially formulated for pups. Itā€™s higher in nutrition, vitamins etc so they shouldnā€™t be getting fat but lean n muscular. Major ended up bigger than his parents whom they were 75-85lbs. Major was 125lbs built like a wall. 5.5 cups? Energy is 3900 kcal/kg (470 kcal per 250ml/120g cup) with calories but itā€™s ā€œdistributedā€.

I personally wouldnā€™t concern myself with the calories for puppies. As example at 7-8months itā€™s usually the time to switch to adult food. But I do understand what youā€™re trying to do.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
knowing the calorie intake that is necessary
Never seen a calorie guide before but I'm certainly not saying that there isn't one somewhere. I know that
"Necessary" for a dog would be a VERY gray area...dependent on many variables...age, size, activity level, and metabolism. I cannot imagine any guide, being anything but inaccurate.
Feed based on common sense and T&E and you'll be fine.
BTW, Mr. T is a mighty handsome fellow!

Members online

No members online now.