Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I am sorry you're having to go through this and hope the best for you and Reggie. I agree with [MENTION=9218]Oscar[/MENTION]meyer that you somehow need to become the alpha of the house. I would leave a harness on Reggie at all times like the JuliusK9 harness that has a grab handle so it gives you something to grab onto to get his head away from you.

My first bulldog disliked my sister and one of my nieces but would only try to bully the niece since she was young then. My niece at my suggestion would carry a rolled up newspaper with her when she went through the basement living area and garage where the dog was and if she acted up swatted her in the nose. After a few weeks the dog quit harassing her and completely avoided her from then on. Luckily my sister and her family moved out of my parents home and nothing bad ever happened. That dog was tough as hell and I am glad chunky is as sweet as he is.

You and your baby are more important than Reggie and I hope you are able to figure out what the issue is

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Funny you should mention NILIF - asked the vet about it. He said maybe wait till after we can start exercising him properly. The combo of no workouts & no toys may just send him right over the edge!

How's Reggie doing Em?

OP
R

Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
How's Reggie doing Em?

Actually getting better!
He's not fond of plastic carrier bags so I spent a few days with one in my pocket at all times, and when he started acting up I shook it at him.
Really didn't like scaring him like that, but it did the job! Now all I have to do is get the bag out of my pocket and he stops what he's doing.
But we have definitely seen an improvement over the last couple of days. He has seemed a lot more chilled out, we've had some cuddles :D
I did get a finger nipped last night, but then I was doing his eye drop at the time. He won't have it at all while awake so we have to sneak the drops in when he's asleep and I startled him - so that one I can understand.
We are able to take him on longer walks now, which I'm sure is part of the reason for the change. He's still not allowed off lead, but we have his 1 week check up tomorrow so will get some advice on what level of exercise he's allowed now. All seems to be healing well - will report after we've seen the vet.

I have everything crossed that the cause was a combination of pain and not being able to work off energy!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Good update... stay consistent and that bag is a winner!! It worked with our Banks too; however put it on the floor and she would start to play with it... was so strange

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
So happy to hear all this... Hope everything continues to improve... heck, I pray everything continues to improve ;) hugs :)

OP
R

Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
Update after our vet check up yesterday -
Reggie was so well behaved in the waiting room we could hardly believe it! He sat down next to me, all calm and collected. For the first time he didn't pee on anything, and he didn't pull to get to the other animals.
Even the vet couldn't quite get over the change in him already. He's normally an absolute nutter in the office - jumping up at the vet, tearing all the hand tissue like an Andrex puppy, trying to eat the stethoscope etc. This time he just said a nice hello to the vet, annd strolled around nicely - it was lovely!

He is healing really well from his op, no problems with that at all.
However, he has developed a corneal ulcer :( We're pretty sure its from some sort of trauma as he was scratching at his eyes earlier in the week so he might have caught it with his dew claw. He's also really into shoving his face into bushes and plants so he could have easily scratched it.
So he is back into the vets tomorrow for sedation, and they're going to do a grid on his eyeball. Not sure if thats actually what its called, but it sounds nasty. The vet said it will look worse than it does now, but won't hurt him at all, and will relieve the pain of the ulcer.
He gave us some pain meds and eye dropsss to use in the mean time.

Poor little dude, seems to be one thing after the other bless him :(

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Reggie was so well behaved in the waiting room we could hardly believe it! He sat down next to me, all calm and collected. For the first time he didn't pee on anything, and he didn't pull to get to the other animals.
Even the vet couldn't quite get over the change in him already. He's normally an absolute nutter in the office - jumping up at the vet, tearing all the hand tissue like an Andrex puppy, trying to eat the stethoscope etc. This time he just said a nice hello to the vet, annd strolled around nicely - it was lovely!

However, he has developed a corneal ulcer :( We're pretty sure its from some sort of trauma as he was scratching at his eyes earlier in the week so he might have caught it with his dew claw. He's also really into shoving his face into bushes and plants so he could have easily scratched it.
So he is back into the vets tomorrow for sedation, and they're going to do a grid on his eyeball. Not sure if thats actually what its called, but it sounds nasty. The vet said it will look worse than it does now, but won't hurt him at all, and will relieve the pain of the ulcer.

Bless you parents for being so willing to step up to the plate and always provide him with the care and attention he needs. I'm so glad things are better discipline wise.

OP
R

Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
Bless you parents for being so willing to step up to the plate and always provide him with the care and attention he needs. I'm so glad things are better discipline wise.

Thank you! We do our best considering he's not the easiest dog to take care of lol. I think the vet & nurse are dreading tomorrow :D

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
He's also really into shoving his face into bushes and plants so he could have easily scratched it.
That's a sign of a high prey drive. He's looking for birds squirrells, etc...anything to chase. Our OscarMayer did that. A very high prey drive, but the sweetest bully towards people and kids that there ever was.
Keep those dewclaws as short as possible...so says the guy who's not so diligent with dewclaws on his own crew.
Good to hear things are improving...and should continue to improve with your work and the diminishing level of testosterone.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I am so happy to read of his improvements!!!!!! I KNOW I always relate everything back to HANK but ;) here I go..... so, he had his first aggressive move toward 'anything' just a few days ago and it was me :( It freeked me out bad and though we worked it out, it sure put some thoughts of ***** it just may be the time***** for the chop! And then hearing this, I like the idea more and more. Now I must say, there has been no aggression AT ALL since that one (I was pushing him off MY chair) but we shall see. Thanks to all the reading on here (even on subjects I didn't 'think' I needed :/ ) I know some things had to change.... Great place huh :)

OP
R

Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
[MENTION=16280]Hankster[/MENTION] Yep, don't know what I'd do without this place!
Maybe you just caught Hank in a grumpy mood?
Well we will continue to keep you updated on how his behaviour changes, hope it helps :)

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
[MENTION=16280]Hankster[/MENTION] Yep, don't know what I'd do without this place!
Maybe you just caught Hank in a grumpy mood?
Well we will continue to keep you updated on how his behaviour changes, hope it helps :)

Thanks and yes! love to hear the updates for sure! just from interest, and always learning :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Great news on the behavior.... sending prayers for his eye [emoji1317][emoji1317]

OP
R

Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
Eye surgery went well! The vet said it was a pretty nasty ulcer, but he's confident it will heal now.
Poor Reggie has a big stuffed collar (not sure what its called but its not a cone), to stop him from scratching the eye. He hates it :(
So now we have 2 lots of eye drops, both 3 times a day. And pain meds, and antibiotics for his skin issues.

On the plus side the vet said he was soooo much easier to deal with than last time! We love those small bonuses lol : D

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
oh boy! well I hope that when this new stuff is done,,,,, he'll be done!! at least for a while poor dude, and you too!! eye drops are a bear for most it seems. Wishing you all well, and speedie healing!!!

Members online

No members online now.