Allergies

rocco24

May 30, 2021
Las Vegas, Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Any alternatives to Apoquel? My dog is constantly licking his paws and was doing better when on apoquel but it never fully went away and when we took him off, it amplified the problem and was licking his paws raw. We put him back on it and it seemed to lessen it but I heard apoquel wasnā€™t a good long term solution. Heā€™s currently on Open Farm Rawmix Grain free wild ocean recipe. We also give him PetLabCo Allergy & Immune Supplements, Natural Dog Company Hip&Joint Supplemental and Ultra Oil Skin&Coat. Open to any recommendations!!

Attachments

• IMG_5691.jpeg
    IMG_5691.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5692.jpeg
    IMG_5692.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Do you give a probiotic. like raw goas milk, kefir or refrigerated sauerkraut? That will help his immune system. also, it may not be related to food... if it is his paws, might be the grass or what is sprayed on the grass.. Try wiping his paws after being outside, just warm water wash cloth... see if it makes a difference.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I use Cytopoint for environmental allergies on a couple of my dogs. Also, I could be wrong but I thought the Open Farm raw mix has potatoes in it. I generally don't feed anything with potatoes to my dogs.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@helsonwheels -- would QUERCETIN help in this situation? I found this articel on dogsnaturally

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
@helsonwheels -- would QUERCETIN help in this situation? I found this articel on dogsnaturally

Funny you mention that cause I use it for myself lolā€¦.

Yes definitely itā€™s an anti-inflammatory and antihistamine effect. I would definitely recommend it even for dogs. Now thats a supplement to be used 3months then You take a break. You can use the human supplement for a dog. Goes by weight of dog.

Attachments

• IMG_0878.jpeg
    IMG_0878.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Any alternatives to Apoquel? My dog is constantly licking his paws and was doing better when on apoquel but it never fully went away and when we took him off, it amplified the problem and was licking his paws raw. We put him back on it and it seemed to lessen it but I heard apoquel wasnā€™t a good long term solution. Heā€™s currently on Open Farm Rawmix Grain free wild ocean recipe. We also give him PetLabCo Allergy & Immune Supplements, Natural Dog Company Hip&Joint Supplemental and Ultra Oil Skin&Coat. Open to any recommendations!!
That spot on the back looks like a staph infection. Watch it and if it starts spreading, see your Vet for proper treatment. Allergy problems that lead to paw licking are usually contact dermatitis(pollen on the ground/grass). Consider wiping feet down after being outside and using Spray Benadryl. Cytopoint is the way to go for addressing allergy symptoms from within. GL!

Last edited:

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online