Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you keep your bullies cool in the summer heat?

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Chip
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Exclamation How do you keep your bullies cool in the summer heat?

Michelle shared this with English Bulldog News on facebook and I thought I would post it here on the forums as well.

Michelle Nihiser took my bully to vet today for check-up and he told me that 3 bullys have died over the past couple days due to heat... I guess never assume!!! please keep your bully's in a-c at all times. Have them potty and then come right back in....[replacer_img] thanks

So the question is folks, how do you keep your bullies cool during the hot summer? Any tips to ensure the safety of your bully?

We do several things to make sure our bullies stay cool. Not only should the AC be on, but if you leave your home make sure there is a fan blowing where they can sit in front of if the get overheated as well. Many bullies die of AC failure while their mamas and papas are at work!!!

We live in Arizona, so we must take extra steps to ensure our bullies do not get too hot. We have a misting system on under our patio, and a kiddie pool. Fresh water is a must, because the water that comes out of faucets and hoses at this time of year it very hot for a minute or two until the underground flow comes.

Anyone else have any really good tips for keeping your bullies cool?
    aka "Bullpapa DeLano" on facebook

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

I really dont since my boys are just in the house with me during the day but this is a good topic to have as a reminder and I know many will have great ideas to add.
    Last visit I took to Butchko, the bulldog vet, was a couple months ago and it was around 10 in the morning so not even hot yet and when I registered at the check-in they told me they had lost one already out in the car. It was not even out of the 70's yet, how sad is that?!?! Figure it couldnt even have been there that long and started to respirate and they couldnt save. Heart breaking!!! They had only brought their pup in for something minor and lost him that fast. Even if you think it isnt hot outside and you are out and about make sure to have your air conditioner on while in the car please.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Belle,Ella,Lilly,Queenie
    Likes (Received)

hello,
    I would like to share a tip I learned from Jan Lewis- purchase a power inverter for your car!! You can run a fan with this. I keep this in my van with a fan for any distance trips. I have a-c but you never know when it could go out??
    Also a quick note please make sure you have benedryl on hand.... just in case... thanks

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lil Miss Bailey
    Likes (Received)

My Miss Bailey sets on my lap most of the day in the air conditioning, she has a kiddie pool and a slip and slide and loves the water

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I always have the AC and fans on with plenty of water out to drink. During the hot parts of the day I only let Samson out to potty real quick then its right back in the house.

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Kool collars! Great little collars that hold frozen ice packs. You can switch out the ice packs thru out the day for indoor use, or use ice to simulate sweat for outdoor use.
    http://www.koolcollarstore.com/index.html
    Vegas has a kiddie pool but O doesn't care to be wet. We also have AC.........our biggest thing is that we live in Washington. It's July and it's only been in the high 60s. This week we will be setting record temps. Thursday is supposed to be in the 90s.

Bulldog(s) Names
    TAZ (age 4) and Gracie (18mo) (allie died @ age 3 from anaphylaxis to her vacinations)
    Likes (Received)

I put ice in their water if they have to be out during the day d/t no one home, but they also have a fan in the garage where the can go into from the back yard. They also love water and will stay outside with me and go swimming in my pool. They have life jackets. Otherwise they stay inside if possible.

I recently bought a cooling collar that was recommended to me by a fellow bulldog owner. I also feed him icecubes, keep a small fan on his crate in the daytime and also keep him indoors as much as possible. Good luck!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Mona
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How do you keep your bullies cool in the summer heat?

Mona likes to lay in front of the floor fans and give her ice water also...

Wrinkle Wiper Become a 4 Paw Member laurentourville's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren Tourville
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Horse
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

just heard that the woman/breeder than I got Horse from left 2 of her bullies and a lab mix outside while she ran to the store (they live in NC), and when she got back they had somehow opened the gate to the pool and the bullies had drowned in the pool, despite her CPR efforts, they didnt make it. A good lesson to all, never, ever leave your bullldogs unattended around water and the hot weather, even if its just for a few minutes. I feel so bad for her and those poor dogs, but she's also been raising english bulldogs forever and always had a pool, so I question why she would ever leave them alone outside in the heat with a pool that the dogs can get access to...
    the bond between a child and their dog is beyond words...

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Omg that is awful! Heartbreaking .... I cannot imagine the guilt...

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gertie & Ida
    Likes (Received)

Hey Cali-Jenn: I've been to Dr. Butchko before!! And I live in the Phoenix area!! Small world, huh?

There is nothing nicer than two sweet Bully girls, unless it's THREE sweet Bully girls!!
    Julie, Gertie, Ida & Clementine in Az.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads