Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rash showed up after I changed food

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tonka
    Likes (Received)

Default Rash showed up after I changed food

I Adopted a three-year-old English bulldog she is not fixed and the same week we adopted her she started her heat we put her on a grain free food and she developed a rash and so we switched her back to the food the other family was feeding her which was Pedegree and she still has the rash I am wondering if anyone knows if the rash looks like it could be from the grain free food that I was feeding her before I take her in to her vet appointment next week any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-f958493b-f5b1-4b3b-91c4-a3447a3a86fc-jpeg

2. Likes BabyDuke liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duke
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Rash showed up after I changed food

Awww poor girl. Our Oliver has horrible food and environmental allergies.
    I would give her Benadryl. After two years of trying every dog food on the planet. we finally went RAW and Olivers skin is 100 times better.

I fought it til the end but now I am a huge fan. I am sure others with more experience will guide you to the threads you can read about it.
    In the meantime if you google Pet fooled on you tube there is an excellent video you can watch.

Best wishes, but in the meantime the Benadryl will make her more comfortable.
    [SIGPIC]

4. Likes helsonwheels, 2BullyMama, ddnene liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tonka
    Likes (Received)

We have had her 1 week, we got her from someone who breed her and decided to keep the puppies. I was looking for an adult and not a puppy. In the week we have had her she started her heat & got this terrible rash. I put her back on the food she was on when I got her, been giving her Benadryl and oatmeal baths and putting hydrocortisone cream on her. I have an appointment Monday but I’m just worried sick.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

The rash could also be from a detergent that you have used. Benedryl-1 per 25 lbs. If the grain-free was chicken based-it could be that,also.
    "
    ďIt came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tonka
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    The rash could also be from a detergent that you have used. Benedryl-1 per 25 lbs. If the grain-free was chicken based-it could be that,also.
    It was lamb and brown rice.

8. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, & MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

In our experience, for a single protein food, Duck formulas have served us best. This applies to hundreds of rescues. It's our go-to protein for all our rescues.

Who says Bulldogs can't fly?

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tonka
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by oscarmayer View Post
    In our experience, for a single protein food, Duck formulas have served us best. This applies to hundreds of rescues. It's our go-to protein for all our rescues.

Ok thank you. I have only had Tonka for about a week, and I just donít know if this is from the food change, the grass, something around the house. The vet canít see me until Monday and Iím just worried sick. Been giving her Benadryl and it helps with the itching but not sure what else I can do or make it less red, I noticed itís up her legs under her chin on her paws everything is just red.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -bf872834-cd6b-43c6-b925-3d487e45ca9d-jpeg  

Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)

Try giving her the maximum dose of Benadryl (4 mg/kg every 8-12 hours ), or switch to cetirizine ( 10mg twice daily ).
    Oatmeal baths will help soothe her as well.
    Feed her plain cooked beef and rice for now till you get to vet or just switch her to frozen raw duck.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tonka
    Likes (Received)

Thank you! I will do that.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanna View Post
    It was lamb and brown rice.
    Is it only under the belly/legs as per the photo ?? If so, that’s something she’s laying on. Food allergies would not be only under a belly but also on top somewhere on the dog. Like mentioned have you washed beddings, floors or carpets with detergents that can be too strong for her. Have you checked inside the ears? Any funny smells in there? Meaning, go over her completely. Btw Pedegree is absolutely horrible food. Stick to Acana single protein bags n start with the Duck. Easily to digest. Once bag is finished but another of their single protein bag but like pork or beef or lamb.... rotation is a must to avoid allergies n to also see if she does have allergies to other protein. It will help you eliminate your list “if” any. But best would be, go raw. You can’t go wrong with a balanced raw diet. Give Benadryl as mentioned. The vet will probably give you antibiotics, if so, you need to also add a probiotic as antibiotics will also kill the good cells. You will end up with more issues down the road. Get some fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies or plain Greek yogurt n add to a daily meal or snack. Don’t give it at the same time as the antibiotics.

14. Likes Dollys Owner, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tonka
    Likes (Received)

No it’s under her chin, paws, around the ears and neck I can see the skin is red under her fur on top of her neck. Since I have only have had her for about a week I do clean my house daily and I mop daily, the second day we had her I had to go out and run some errands and she Peed on my couches so I did wash those with tide. No smells in the ears. I know Pedegree is terrible food that’s why we switched her to a grain free food about 3 days after we got her. I have been doing Benadryl.

16. Likes 2BullyMama, helsonwheels liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

If she has been on couch-she may be allergic to Tide.....If she peed on couch-you may need to crate her when not home.
    "
    ďIt came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads