Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a yeast infection due to an allergy?

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Default Is this a yeast infection due to an allergy?

Hello I have a 14 month old EBD named Bella. I noticed on Saturday night that she had been scratching her face and licking her paws. At first I thought that maybe she had scratched herself too hard that caused fold to get red. The following day I noticed the fold a little swollen and still red. However today it looks moist and brownish. I've scheduled an appointment for tomorrow morning to take her in to see the vet. I was told to give her benadryl for now. She hasn't had anything new therefore I thought it was just a scratch but the way it's looking I no longer think it's a scratch. Here are pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -20191130_174323-jpg   -20191202_075447-jpg   -20191202_075237-jpg  

2. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Is this a yeast infection due to an allergy?

Quote Originally Posted by EGatica View Post
    Hello I have a 14 month old EBD named Bella. I noticed on Saturday night that she had been scratching her face and licking her paws. At first I thought that maybe she had scratched herself too hard that caused fold to get red. The following day I noticed the fold a little swollen and still red. However today it looks moist and brownish. I've scheduled an appointment for tomorrow morning to take her in to see the vet. I was told to give her benadryl for now. She hasn't had anything new therefore I thought it was just a scratch but the way it's looking I no longer think it's a scratch. Here are pics.
    Looks like the beginning of a hotspot...
    what food and protein are you feeding? Where are you located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

4. Likes Dollys Owner liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Looks like the beginning of a hotspot...
    what food and protein are you feeding? Where are you located?

Hello. I'm feeding Bella Fromm (fish & potatoes)
    We're located in CC, Tx.

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Hello. I'm feeding Bella Fromm (fish & potatoes)
    We're located in CC, Tx.
    White potatoes can feed yeast issues, you may want to go to a Fromm flavor without white potatoes or where they are not in the top ten ingredient.

Keep the area clean and dry it will help

e.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Thank you, will do. Just leaving vet's office. He prescribed Simplicef 100mg, Apoquel 16mg, and Douxo Chlorhexidine 3% ps pads. Hope this works and makes her feel better.

8. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

That will clear it up... Duoxo pads are good for keep folds clean and drt

e.

The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

The first photo looks like irritation n if not cleaned probably it will turn to yeast. Folds needs to be clean daily but especially dry properly. I use bag balm but you can also use coconut oil or colloidal silver .

11. Likes EGatica liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    The first photo looks like irritation n if not cleaned probably it will turn to yeast. Folds needs to be clean daily but especially dry properly. I use bag balm but you can also use coconut oil or colloidal silver .
    I hope it clears it up. I took a pic of her face outside to get a better look. The puss is what worries me. The vet said to give her the medications and that bulldogs are prone to allergies. Therefore we may want to have her get injections for allergies every couple of months. I disagree with starting her on injections. She's never had any issues before other than hives in the beginning of the year but we have switched her food since then. Does anyone know of a vet that is familiar with bulldogs here in CC, Tx?-20191203_114835-jpg
    Last edited by EGatica; 12-03-2019 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Left out pic

The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

I hope it clears it up. I took a pic of her face outside to get a better look. The puss is what worries me. The vet said to give her the medications and that bulldogs are prone to allergies. Therefore we may want to have her get injections for allergies every couple of months. I disagree with starting her on injections. She's never had any issues before other than hives in the beginning of the year but we have switched her food since then. Does anyone know of a vet that is familiar with bulldogs here in CC, Tx?-20191203_114835-jpg
    @2BullyMama Texas vets???

Now from this photo we see a lot better. Absolutely needs to be cleaned n dry. At that amount of pus not once or twice a day but probably 4x a day. That’s not an allergy, that’s an infection n looks like what Christine mentioned a hot spot. Be very careful with Simplicef n Apoquel. Horrible side effects. If you’re intending giving them meds you need to also feed your dog a high quality of probiotics. Those meds will also kill all the good bacteria needed in the gut. Btw apoquel under the age of 12 months old is not recommended... I know yours is 14months old but that’s just 2 extra months. It’s a hot spot it’s curable even without meds.

https://www.zoetisus.com/products/do...uel/index.aspx

If you want 90% less skin issues, feed raw. Extremely rare you’ll find a dog that eats raw with yeast infection or skin issues. Allergies can happen but I personally would NOT give any shots till you have tried feeding raw. That’s my 2 cents on allergies.

14. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Is this a yeast infection due to an allergy?

That is a hotspot.... needs to be cleaned out and shave some of the fur off if you can, fur traps the dirt and adds to the issues. I canít believe the vet didnít clean it out for you. . Use a warm (not hot) wash cloth and dig all the gunk out , shave as much of the fur as you can since it is a tight spot, and then use the Duoxo pads to clean and help it dry out... then use the pads twice a day to maintain.

Let me check the list for vets in Texas, not sure if any are in Corpus Cristi.

Shots... they did not work for our boy, we went raw and Cytopint shot every eight weeks. Lambeau is allergic to a lot, everything green, weeds, grass, tress, corn, soy, lamb, salmon.

We did a full panel blood test, not 100% accurate but gives a great baseline to help with elimination. Since you started Apoquel, you need to wait 30 days after last dose to do that test if you choose to. Wipe his face, paws and belly after each time he comes in from outside, it helps lessen environmental impact, doesnít stop it, but wiping gets the allergens off the fur.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    e.

16. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Here is the List of member recommended vets for Texas, no Cc, but maybe one isnít too far??

~TEXAS~

Animal Health & Medical Center
    Dr. Allen J. Bolt
    Abilene, TX 79608
    325-695-7140

Radford Hills Animal Clinic
    Dr. Mark Leavell
    Abilene, TX
    325-672-3090

Brittmore Animal Hospital
    Dr. Matt Dikeman or Dr. Kit Kampschmidt
    Houston, Texas
    713-468-8253

Dr. Kirk Esmond
    Josey Ranch Pet Hospital
    2150 North Josey Lane, Ste 106
    Carrollton, Texas 75006

Critter Care Animal Hospital
    Amna Plummer, DVM
    13040 Dairy Ashford
    Sugar Land, TX 77478
    281-494-7700
    Critter Care Animal Hospital – Critter Care Animal Hospital

Dr. Scot Sunbury
    Sunbury Vet Clinic
    12407 North Mopac Expressway , Ste. 400
    Austin, TX 78758
    512-255-8387

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    e.

18. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Now from this photo we see a lot better. Absolutely needs to be cleaned n dry. At that amount of pus not once or twice a day but probably 4x a day. That’s not an allergy, that’s an infection n looks like what Christine mentioned a hot spot. Be very careful with Simplicef n Apoquel. Horrible side effects. If you’re intending giving them meds you need to also feed your dog a high quality of probiotics. Those meds will also kill all the good bacteria needed in the gut. Btw apoquel under the age of 12 months old is not recommended... I know yours is 14months old but that’s just 2 extra months. It’s a hot spot it’s curable even without meds.

If you want 90% less skin issues, feed raw. Extremely rare you’ll find a dog that eats raw with yeast infection or skin issues. Allergies can happen but I personally would NOT give any shots till you have tried feeding raw. That’s my 2 cents on allergies.

I'm worried now because I started her on meds this morning. Should I continue them? I agree, you would think after a $230 vet bill they would of cleaned it out. I got the impression that the vet nor his assistant weren't too fond of her, nor the breed. Bella loves attention and she didn't get any from them at all. At one point while the vet was rambling on about the problems that come with having a bulldog Bella decided to pass gas, not once but twice. LOL So what would you consider a high quality of probiotics? I currently feed her a tbsp of yogurt with her 2 meals and also give her Gentle Digest probiotic chews (3) on the daily.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads