Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 17

Thread: Bongos ears still a issue

  1. #1
    Drool Catcher Fbjdd's Avatar
    Real Name
    Frank
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    239
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bongo
    Likes (Received)
    16

    Default Bongos ears still a issue

    Hi All,

    Bongo is 7 now and still dealing with chronic ear infections. Hes had all allergy tests and is on a strict raw duck diet limited ingredients as per his allergy test yet he still gets the infections?? Any thoughts on what to do?



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks,
    Frank & Bongo

  2. #2
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    9,130
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    11068

    Default Re: Bongos ears still a issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Fbjdd View Post
    Hi All,

    Bongo is 7 now and still dealing with chronic ear infections. He’s had all allergy tests and is on a strict raw duck diet limited ingredients as per his allergy test yet he still gets the infections?? Any thoughts on what to do?

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If ears are especially inflamed or infected, dilute 2 drops of lavender in 4 drops of fractionated coconut oil on a cotton ball and apply lightly to soothe the inflamed ear area. This works as some of us members done it. I recently did it with my newcomer Jake. Got rid of his bacteria within a week.

  3. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  4. #3
    Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,566
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)
    1588

    Default Re: Bongos ears still a issue

    I would recommend EcoEars https://www.amazon.ca/Infection-Bact.../dp/B008QYVL1Yflushed in his ears daily for 2 weeks, then ears flushed weekly forever. When I say flush, I mean dribble some into the ear, rub the ear drum from the outside with your fingers, and then move aside as he flings his head around. And in between weekly flushes, clean daily with witch hazel on a wipe if it gets dirty.

    I would also recommend probiotics such as milk kefir, live sauerkraut from refrigerator section of health food store, or commercial probiotic such as Probiotic Miracle or Proviable DC.

    Also daily cetirizine antihistamine ( from Costco ).

    And if still having ear infections try having Cytopoint injection from a vet to see if that helps, or Bongo can even have an operation to remove ear canal ( total ear canal ablation ) as a last resort.

  5. Likes 2BullyMama, Fbjdd liked this post
  6. #4
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    44,352
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    15570

    Default Re: Bongos ears still a issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Fbjdd View Post
    Hi All,

    Bongo is 7 now and still dealing with chronic ear infections. He’s had all allergy tests and is on a strict raw duck diet limited ingredients as per his allergy test yet he still gets the infections?? Any thoughts on what to do?



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My boy has ear issues too... all environmental as we eliminated his food allergies. the only thing that has helped is a Cytopoint shot every 6-8 weeks.

    BTW -- I love your hat.... LOL!!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  7. Likes Dollys Owner, Fbjdd liked this post
  8. #5
    Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,566
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)
    1588

    Default Re: Bongos ears still a issue

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    My boy has ear issues too... all environmental as we eliminated his food allergies. the only thing that has helped is a Cytopoint shot every 6-8 weeks.

    BTW -- I love your hat.... LOL!!
    Also, you can try sublingual immunotherapy, eg. Respit, which takes a few months to work. Someone mentioned on the french bulldog group how much immunotherapy helped their dog.

  9. #6
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    2,112
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)
    2657

    Default Re: Bongos ears still a issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Dollys Owner View Post
    I would recommend EcoEars https://www.amazon.ca/Infection-Bact.../dp/B008QYVL1Yflushed in his ears daily for 2 weeks, then ears flushed weekly forever. When I say flush, I mean dribble some into the ear, rub the ear drum from the outside with your fingers, and then move aside as he flings his head around. And in between weekly flushes, clean daily with witch hazel on a wipe if it gets dirty.

    I would also recommend probiotics such as milk kefir, live sauerkraut from refrigerator section of health food store, or commercial probiotic such as Probiotic Miracle or Proviable DC.

    Also daily cetirizine antihistamine ( from Costco ).

    And if still having ear infections try having Cytopoint injection from a vet to see if that helps, or Bongo can even have an operation to remove ear canal ( total ear canal ablation ) as a last resort.
    A note on EcoEars. I bought some for Monty as his ear was a bit inflamed and itchy. His ear got worse, it was really bothering him plus he lost a layer of skin! It wasn't dried liquid, it was skin so no more for him. As we all know though, each dog reacts differently so just need to bear that in mind. Back to Zymox!
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

  10. Likes helsonwheels, 2BullyMama, Fbjdd liked this post
  11. #7
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    9,130
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    11068

    Default Re: Bongos ears still a issue

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Chumly View Post
    A note on EcoEars. I bought some for Monty as his ear was a bit inflamed and itchy. His ear got worse, it was really bothering him plus he lost a layer of skin! It wasn't dried liquid, it was skin so no more for him. As we all know though, each dog reacts differently so just need to bear that in mind. Back to Zymox!
    He lost a layer of skin cause of the Ecoears?

  12. #8
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    2,112
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)
    2657

    Default Re: Bongos ears still a issue

    Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    He lost a layer of skin cause of the Ecoears?
    Yes. It was flaking and I thought it was dried liquid but it wasn't. It peeled off and was red raw underneath. He is much happier today! Poor dog!
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

  13. #9
    Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,566
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)
    1588

    Default Re: Bongos ears still a issue

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Chumly View Post
    A note on EcoEars. I bought some for Monty as his ear was a bit inflamed and itchy. His ear got worse, it was really bothering him plus he lost a layer of skin! It wasn't dried liquid, it was skin so no more for him. As we all know though, each dog reacts differently so just need to bear that in mind. Back to Zymox!
    Zymox is great but very expensive in Canada, my dog Honey does well on the EcoEars. I even clean her ears daily between weekly EcoEars with a solution of 5 drops oil of cloves, 5 drops tea tree oil in 2 oz witch hazel , placed on a round cosmetic pad to wipe her ears out, and she's good with that too. The only time she seemed to get her ears irritated with cleaning was when I used a solution of 50% vinegar /50% witch hazel.

    Every dog is different- my dog gets almost daily water kefir whereas HelsonWheels dog Duke was quite allergic to milk kefir.

  14. Likes helsonwheels, 1Chumly liked this post
  15. #10
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    9,130
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    11068

    Default Re: Bongos ears still a issue

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Chumly View Post
    Yes. It was flaking and I thought it was dried liquid but it wasn't. It peeled off and was red raw underneath. He is much happier today! Poor dog!
    Interesting, with them ingredients it’s like almost rare that would happen. But heh, like you said, I’m sure it can happen. Now you’re going to make me investigate more lol...

  16. Likes Dollys Owner liked this post
  17. #11
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    2,112
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)
    2657

    Default Re: Bongos ears still a issue

    Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    Interesting, with them ingredients it’s like almost rare that would happen. But heh, like you said, I’m sure it can happen. Now you’re going to make me investigate more lol...
    BTW, I went back and read some of the bad reviews and Monty is not alone by any stretch! I feel so mean, poor boy! Could be the alcohol, Tea Tree Oil or Boric Acid or all. I should have read those reviews first!
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

  18. Likes Dollys Owner, helsonwheels liked this post
  19. #12
    Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,566
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)
    1588

    Default Re: Bongos ears still a issue

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Chumly View Post
    BTW, I went back and read some of the bad reviews and Monty is not alone by any stretch! I feel so mean, poor boy! Could be the alcohol, Tea Tree Oil or Boric Acid or all. I should have read those reviews first!
    Since you're unhappy with it you should return it for the 100% no hassle money back guarantee within 1 year of purchase.

  20. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •