Thread: Complications after Soft Palate Surgery in Dogs?

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    baxter
    Likes (Received)

Default Complications after Soft Palate Surgery in Dogs?

Hi all -

Decided to finally get the Palate surgery for Baxter as he has pretty bad sleep apnea, and his throat closed up one day when we were playing outside.

Im wondering if its normal for him to be vomiting and gagging on phlegm like crazy a couple weeks after the surgery. He tends to "retch" about a half hour after eating, when I assume his meal is starting to digest and expand in his stomach (kibble).

He will sit there swallowing really really hard, over and over like it hurts, but shows no pain, and after swallowing tons of air from that, he will sometimes just vomit the whole thing out, which is a pile of foam usually.

Here's a video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24yiP9l9Tyo

I've called the doctor and they said as long as he isn't repeatedly vomiting or aspirating he should be fine, and as long as his appetite and mood are unchanged its normal. All those things are fine. But he does not look comfortable constantly gagging and "Hacking" every so often, and retching ....

I expected this the first week but not now that we are well past 2 weeks post-surgery.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Complications after Soft Palate Surgery in Dogs?

I couldn't get your video to work, it kept loading for me... I will try again later. Both my dogs had the palate surgery, and it does take some time for the throat to heal... I remember them making weird noises for awhile. Maybe you should try to add warm water to his kibble to make it soft, or give him frequent smaller meals... see if that helps w/the gagging.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

3. Likes cefe13 liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Tiberius View Post
    Hi all -

Decided to finally get the Palate surgery for Baxter as he has pretty bad sleep apnea, and his throat closed up one day when we were playing outside.

Im wondering if its normal for him to be vomiting and gagging on phlegm like crazy a couple weeks after the surgery. He tends to "retch" about a half hour after eating, when I assume his meal is starting to digest and expand in his stomach (kibble).

He will sit there swallowing really really hard, over and over like it hurts, but shows no pain, and after swallowing tons of air from that, he will sometimes just vomit the whole thing out, which is a pile of foam usually.

I've called the doctor and they said as long as he isn't repeatedly vomiting or aspirating he should be fine, and as long as his appetite and mood are unchanged its normal. All those things are fine. But he does not look comfortable constantly gagging and "Hacking" every so often, and retching ....

I expected this the first week but not now that we are well past 2 weeks post-surgery.
    I would send this video to your vet and keep Baxter on diet / soft food till he is fully back to normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

5. Likes cefe13 liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

That does NOT look normal. Your vet need to see that. Try feeding him soft wet food, and feed him elevated so the food can go down easier. That's concerning to me, I'd be back at the vet.

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

7. Likes cefe13, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I agree - get him to the vet now and anything you serve needs to be soft.

For a week or so after soft-palate surgery we gave Castor boiled rice and chicken (boil for 40 mins or so and in extra water so that you can serve a soup-like bland meal after it has cooled down. Divide the chicken (no bones) in small pieces).

To soak kibble pour boiling water over the kibble in the serving bowl (enough to cover the kibble) and wait until cool. Do not serve anything warn.

Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

9. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruger
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Tiberius View Post
    Hi all -

I just had my 6 month old French Bulldog go through the same surgery. He is doing exactly the same thing at 2 weeks. We are so worried. What ever happened with yours? And if he got over it, how long did it take? Mine looks like the video you added.

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Thelongwayhome View Post
    I just had my 6 month old French Bulldog go through the same surgery. He is doing exactly the same thing at 2 weeks. We are so worried. What ever happened with yours? And if he got over it, how long did it take? Mine looks like the video you added.
    Hsve you talked to the vet about this? What is the dog eating now? It might be difficult for him to eat his normal food right after surgery. If you serve bland food (see my post above) and he still has trouble eating, I would take him to the vet.

Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

12. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Agree... get back to vet for a check

----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

14. Likes Manydogs liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Totally agree-have the vet SEE your Frenchie! @Thelongwayhome
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

16. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, & MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

What ever happened with yours? And if he got over it, how long did it take? Mine looks like the video you added.
    I cannot speak directly for BaxterTiberius but I would assume that Baxter recovered in time. The OP posted about 3 months later that he was going to move to another country and was venting about Airlinesnot accepting Bulldogs in the cabin area or the cargo area so how was he going to be able to take his dog with him. That was his last post. I'm hoping that he and his Bulldog are living happily somewhere.
    Concerning your bully, follow the aforementioned advice...it's all good.

Who says Bulldogs can't fly?

18. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post

Remove Ads