Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 17

Thread: 13 week old pup with intermittent raspy breathing

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Country
    UK
    Posts
    10
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Betty and Bronson
    Likes (Received)
    24

    Default 13 week old pup with intermittent raspy breathing

    Hi everyone, I have a 13 week old Bully pup called Betty who has been having bouts of raspy breathing. I've searched the forum for answers but can't find anything that's similar. It sounds like phlegm rattling in her throat and sometimes it sounds like she's purring but the strange thing is it's not all the time. It seems to be random times throughout the day with no triggers I.e sometimes it happens after she eats, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes after she sleeps, sometimes it doesn't. She's up to date with her vaccinations, eats well and plays and runs around a lot and when she plays her breathing is fine. She hasn't got any nasal discharge and hasn't been vomitting. Sometimes it sounds like she needs a good cough to clear her throat but she dosent seem to know to cough to clear it. Apart from this she's a completely normal happy pup. I'm a totally paranoid puppy parent and would be gratefull for any advice or help to put my mind at rest. Thank you

  2. #2
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,787
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)
    4646

    Default Re: 13 week old pup with intermittent raspy breathing

    @SteveC Hello and welcome, sorry under these circumstances!! I am not the one with the knowledge to help you BUT I've tagged a few members and they will chime in to help I'm sure. Hang in there, I know you must be worried. Prayers for your pup!
    May the sun in your eyes be your ONLY problem today! Peace Friends!

  3. #3
    Rescue Volunteer Lalaloopsie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Natallia
    Country
    Belarus
    Location
    Cape Town, SA
    Posts
    1,628
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)
    2695

    Default Re: 13 week old pup with intermittent raspy breathing

    How long is it already? It sounds very much like kennel cough. Is she vaccinated against kennel cough? Very common flu-like viral disease in young dogs. It's better to take her to the vet. It is not serious disease, but left untreated can cause pneumonia.

  4. Likes Vikinggirl, Texas Carol liked this post
  5. #4
    Newbie
    Country
    UK
    Posts
    10
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Betty and Bronson
    Likes (Received)
    24

    Default Re: 13 week old pup with intermittent raspy breathing

    Quote Originally Posted by Lalaloopsie View Post
    How long is it already? It sounds very much like kennel cough. Is she vaccinated against kennel cough? Very common flu-like viral disease in young dogs. It's better to take her to the vet. It is not serious disease, but left untreated can cause pneumonia.
    Thank you, She has had kennel cough vaccination. She's not really coughing she just rattles a bit when breathing. Like I said it's really strange because she's absolutely fine 70% of the time then it starts. Would kennel cough come and go like that?

  6. #5
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Manydogs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    12,965
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)
    10285

    Default Re: 13 week old pup with intermittent raspy breathing

    @SteveC Try giving her a squirt of lemon juice(in those fake lemons) if it is just flegm that will help break it up. I did that for one the other day, and she spit up the flegm.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

  7. Likes Vikinggirl, Texas Carol liked this post
  8. #6
    Newbie
    Country
    UK
    Posts
    10
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Betty and Bronson
    Likes (Received)
    24

    Default Re: 13 week old pup with intermittent raspy breathing

    Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    @SteveC Try giving her a squirt of lemon juice(in those fake lemons) if it is just flegm that will help break it up. I did that for one the other day, and she spit up the flegm.
    Thank You, I've heard about using lemons before but never tried it. Will definitely give it a go

  9. #7
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    46,510
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    17599

    Default Re: 13 week old pup with intermittent raspy breathing

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    Hi everyone, I have a 13 week old Bully pup called Betty who has been having bouts of raspy breathing. I've searched the forum for answers but can't find anything that's similar. It sounds like phlegm rattling in her throat and sometimes it sounds like she's purring but the strange thing is it's not all the time. It seems to be random times throughout the day with no triggers I.e sometimes it happens after she eats, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes after she sleeps, sometimes it doesn't. She's up to date with her vaccinations, eats well and plays and runs around a lot and when she plays her breathing is fine. She hasn't got any nasal discharge and hasn't been vomitting. Sometimes it sounds like she needs a good cough to clear her throat but she dosent seem to know to cough to clear it. Apart from this she's a completely normal happy pup. I'm a totally paranoid puppy parent and would be gratefull for any advice or help to put my mind at rest. Thank you
    try the squirt of lemon as mentioned, but next time at vet be sure to mention this and keep close eye for any changes ... at her age pneumonia can set in quick so just mentioning it so you keep an eye on her
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  10. Likes Vikinggirl, Texas Carol liked this post
  11. #8
    Newbie
    Country
    UK
    Posts
    10
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Betty and Bronson
    Likes (Received)
    24

    Default Re: 13 week old pup with intermittent raspy breathing

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    try the squirt of lemon as mentioned, but next time at vet be sure to mention this and keep close eye for any changes ... at her age pneumonia can set in quick so just mentioning it so you keep an eye on her
    Thank you I will mention it. She's got the vets next week I just get so paranoid when they're little

  12. #9
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    46,510
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    17599

    Default Re: 13 week old pup with intermittent raspy breathing

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    Thank you I will mention it. She's got the vets next week I just get so paranoid when they're little
    Understandable!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  13. #10
    Rescue Volunteer Lalaloopsie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Natallia
    Country
    Belarus
    Location
    Cape Town, SA
    Posts
    1,628
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)
    2695

    Default Re: 13 week old pup with intermittent raspy breathing

    Puppies still can contract kennel cough, even if vaccinated. Vaccine protects against certain strain of Bordetella bacteria, but it can be caused by other strains, or even viruses (Coronavirus, parainfluenza virus). It's actually kinda group of diseases.
    Yes, symptoms can be present not all time, especially in the beginning. May be once in several hours dogs produces strange hacking sound, it can feel like a honk, or you just hear that something's in his throats that he wants to cough out. Just your description is very characteristic for kennel cough - it is very strange sound. Watch your puppy and take him to vet if it gets worse. It can heal on its own, but keep an eye on him.

  14. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
  15. #11
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Cbrugs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,887
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog) and Ella Mae
    Likes (Received)
    6779

    Default Re: 13 week old pup with intermittent raspy breathing

    I am fairly certain my Frenchie had kennel cough one time as he was actually doing a dry cough. He goes to daycare and the bortadella vaccine is required every 6 months but it is not a guarantee. But his cough went away after a week or so and everything was fine. If it continues or gets worse, a vet visit might be good.

  16. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
  17. #12
    Newbie
    Country
    England
    Posts
    1
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ronny
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: 13 week old pup with intermittent raspy breathing

    Hello, I know this post was age ago. And I hope your puppy was all ok in the end. Did you find out what it was ? My 13 week EB puppy is exactly the same. Only difference is he sometimes coughs to clear his throat. He does do it more after eating and drinking but also can just come on randomly. And then sometimes he’s completely fine. We’ve been to the vet and they checked him over and said he was fine. Soda law he didn’t sound wheezy or congested at all when we went. I’m looking at booking another appointment as i am still worried about it. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

  18. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •