Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 13 week old pup with intermittent raspy breathing

Quote Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
    Hello, I know this post was age ago. And I hope your puppy was all ok in the end. Did you find out what it was ? My 13 week EB puppy is exactly the same. Only difference is he sometimes coughs to clear his throat. He does do it more after eating and drinking but also can just come on randomly. And then sometimes heís completely fine. Weíve been to the vet and they checked him over and said he was fine. Soda law he didnít sound wheezy or congested at all when we went. Iím looking at booking another appointment as i am still worried about it. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Try squirt of lemon juice in throat, that can break up the phlegm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
    Hello, I know this post was age ago. And I hope your puppy was all ok in the end. Did you find out what it was ? My 13 week EB puppy is exactly the same. Only difference is he sometimes coughs to clear his throat. He does do it more after eating and drinking but also can just come on randomly. And then sometimes heís completely fine. Weíve been to the vet and they checked him over and said he was fine. Soda law he didnít sound wheezy or congested at all when we went. Iím looking at booking another appointment as i am still worried about it. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Agree with Christine, lemon squirt. It will clear it up. Keep us posted cheers!

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Mary
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
    Likes (Received)

When we picked Jackson up from the breeder, he too had this raspy "rattle". Not all the time, but loud enough to really notice it! Breeder ( who is VERY reputable) assured me that he was checked thoroughly at her vets the day before, he heard the rasp and could not find anything wrong. Lungs were clear, no cough, eating fine. We did notice it seemed to peak after drinking water or eating too fast. I took him to MY vet and he said he thought he had and elongated palate ( mind you, he was only 9 weeks old). I called my breeder and she adamantly assured me he was too young to diagnose palate problem and this was very common in bulldogs- especially smaller ones ( he was the runt of the litter). She felt he would eventually grow out of it. I trusted her and guess what, she was completely correct! The rattle vanished at about 3 months old. He never had another problem. As long as your vet finds her lungs clear, I would not be overly concerned!! He is now 18 months old, healthy as can be and has NO palate issues!!
    "We never really own a dog as much as they own us!"

4. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    UA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kobe
    Likes (Received)

Could it be an allergy? Do you live/ walk near rapeseed fields as they can be quite irritating on the nasal passage which could contribute to the rasped breathing...

6. Likes helsonwheels, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    Uk
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Betty
    Likes (Received)

This is so spooky as I have just joined this forum and was looking at this topic as my bully pup who is also called Betty has the exact same symptoms as Steve described in the original starter post.

She is also intermittent with phlegm but no nasal discharge, eating and drinking as normal and playing and go for walks as normal. And like other members have mentioned she looks and sounds like she needs a good cough. I have checked her mouth while she was phlegmy and noticed a white saliva in the back of her throat , but like I mentioned it is intermittent.

We brought her home at 8 weeks old and she was fine and only started after around 3 days when we started putting her outside in enclosed garden to start house training her and it got to a point where we were very worried and took her to the vets as precaution. The vet gave her a low dose of antibiotics and mentioned it could be a long pallet. Since then it has not been as bad but still notable at times and I have tried the lemon juice but unsure if it works.

I have also contacted the breeder who told us not to worry as she will grow out of it as other people have mentioned but would like to know if Steve’s problem was solved or any ideas to what this is exactly

8. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads