Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Both Lockjaw and Penny got flank alopecia this year. Penny's patches were much smaller than Lockjaws. Our vet recommended we add Omega 3's to their daily diet. Specifically the brand "Nordic Naturals". They've been on it for about 2 months now. Penny's patches are almost filled in. One side completely filled, the other is well on its way. Lockjaws patches were pretty big on both sides. His patches look soooo much better and are about 1/2 way filled in. I also try to get them outside as much as I can as well. Well, as much as summer in NC will allow.
But I would definitely recommend the Nordic Naturals Omega 3's. I order mine from chewy.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice!! so on the Nordic naturals,,,, do you get the capsules?? It sais to squeeze onto food??? He eats capsules right up so would that be feasible or are is the capsule inedible? or do you get it differently :) Thanks, I'm ready to put in a Chewy order so want to add this to it ..... edited to add... aww, you only need to squeeze for smaller dog... And I think I like the capsules as the air doesn't get to it... anyway, thanks

OP
ddnene

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Both Lockjaw and Penny got flank alopecia this year. Penny's patches were much smaller than Lockjaws. Our vet recommended we add Omega 3's to their daily diet. Specifically the brand "Nordic Naturals". They've been on it for about 2 months now. Penny's patches are almost filled in. One side completely filled, the other is well on its way. Lockjaws patches were pretty big on both sides. His patches look soooo much better and are about 1/2 way filled in. I also try to get them outside as much as I can as well. Well, as much as summer in NC will allow.
But I would definitely recommend the Nordic Naturals Omega 3's. I order mine from chewy.com.

THANK you so much, I'm going to order that and give it a try.

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Nice!! so on the Nordic naturals,,,, do you get the capsules?? It sais to squeeze onto food??? He eats capsules right up so would that be feasible or are is the capsule inedible? or do you get it differently :) Thanks, I'm ready to put in a Chewy order so want to add this to it ..... edited to add... aww, you only need to squeeze for smaller dog... And I think I like the capsules as the air doesn't get to it... anyway, thanks

I do get the capsules and they are soft/edible. But if it isn't hidden well enough they will eat around it. Lol- recently I have snipped the top and poured the oil in their food (doesn't stink either), and they still eat it just fine!

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Pics of Lockjaw and Penny's sides for reference. I can't even really tell on Penny's left side where she was losing hair- it's filled in that well. And you can see how big Lockjaws patches WERE- and how well they are filling in now.

Lockjaw:

561a46f89ea9767ea1c21225b0b1e06e.jpg

8dc27aa6ea7ce5fbf79bfd0bff7e5998.jpg

Penny:

9fbfa92d73869452ef603130dd79ae9e.jpg

46929e2be781c7f93dc2684e3beef449.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Pics of Lockjaw and Penny's sides for reference. I can't even really tell on Penny's left side where she was losing hair- it's filled in that well. And you can see how big Lockjaws patches WERE- and how well they are filling in now.

Lockjaw:

561a46f89ea9767ea1c21225b0b1e06e.jpg

8dc27aa6ea7ce5fbf79bfd0bff7e5998.jpg

Penny:

9fbfa92d73869452ef603130dd79ae9e.jpg

46929e2be781c7f93dc2684e3beef449.jpg

WOW... what a difference! Just from the Omega 3?

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
WOW... what a difference! Just from the Omega 3?

Yes- i forgot to add that I have been giving them melatonin for quite a while now and that showed no improvement. Only since since I started the Omega 3's did I start to see a difference.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes- i forgot to add that I have been giving them melatonin for quite a while now and that showed no improvement. Only since since I started the Omega 3's did I start to see a difference.

So...omega 3 w/melatonin or just the omega 3? I'm giving Lambeau vitamin D and melatonin. It just seems to control it.. no better but not worse either

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

They look amazing... that is how Walter looks, his entire flanks sides are just black skin. I'm going to start the Omega 3, my vet said to give it a try just watch for loose stools.

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
They look amazing... that is how Walter looks, his entire flanks sides are just black skin. I'm going to start the Omega 3, my vet said to give it a try just watch for loose stools.

I was a little worried about that too. But they've had nice solid stools. My vet recommended that particular brand because of how "clean" they are.

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
So...omega 3 w/melatonin or just the omega 3? I'm giving Lambeau vitamin D and melatonin. It just seems to control it.. no better but not worse either

I was doing both. But since I started Omega 3's, I haven't been consistent with melatonin. Lockjaws sides were HORRIBLE! It's been too hot to give the sun much credit- lol.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I was doing both. But since I started Omega 3's, I haven't been consistent with melatonin. Lockjaws sides were HORRIBLE! It's been too hot to give the sun much credit- lol.

It's been miserable HOT here already, I hate it!!! Ready for fall... Lol

Members online

No members online now.