Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

Default A question about letting them sunbathe

Hank loves to go out numerous times a day and sunbathe. It was fine and I wasn't too concerned when it was winter, but how do I monitor that in the real heat. I've never known a dog to not monitor themselves, but I hear these guys don't?? Does he have to panting to be over heated? I don't want it to go that far. My back door is always open and I often find him out there. I always check on him but don't want to wait too long... sooooooooo???????????????? any suggestions on how to tell enough is enough?? -img_1682-png and,,, don't know if I attached a pic.... if I did, it has nothing to do with sunbathing I know... I was just practicing

- - - Updated - - -

aww it worked... now i'll practice better

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: A question about letting them sunbathe

They absolutely do not know their limits. I would say restrict the time based on the temps outside. Anything hotter than than say 74-76 I'd do maybe a 10-15 min limit on - but still keep constant checking in on him. Yes, they will pant, even if laying down and watching their belly/chest is key. If you see him breathing heavier, bring him in right way and get em' some water or ice cubes. I let Tyson sunbathe prob a max of 10 -15 mins and I put a fan on him...that we keep outside. Its all about watching his body, and of course if the temps are over 80 or so I wouldn't allow it at all. Takes little to no time for them to overheat, and they don't even realize it themselves. I nearly have to drag Tyson in or hoax him with food. LOL

BTW, Love that Hank, he's looking extra handsome in that pic

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

thanks..... and thanks

4. Likes TyTysmom, helsonwheels liked this post
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
    thanks..... and thanks
    Oh my heart, your new avatar pic is precious, him in his harness. He is such a stud. LOVE - looks like he's modeling!!

My whole heart, Tyson.

6. Likes Seline Weiskopff liked this post
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

hehe I KNOW lol.... His daddy sais he's out looken for French poodles when he wears his "flight suit" ... They're so fun... And thanks I think he's growing up real nice

8. Likes TyTysmom, helsonwheels liked this post
    Drool Catcher Become a 4 Paw Member Seline Weiskopff's Avatar
    Country
    united states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    molly
    Likes (Received)

I let Molly sunbath early mornings late evenings during summer. She absolutely loves it ! I never leave her alone though.

Sending Bully Wiggles Your Way
    I'm a little bulldog short and stout.... tip me over and my tongue falls out

10. Likes TyTysmom liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I usually let them go for maybe 10 minutes ... Cheli (frenchie) is great at self regulation, but Lambeau will stay out till he fries... so I monitor closey
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

12. Likes TyTysmom liked this post
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

why on earth would the breed who is most susceptible to heat,,, not have the 'whatever' to lug his self back into the cool... Never ever even questioned one of my dogs not being able to regulate for herself... I've been real conscious (mostly) when Hank heads out by himself, and so far he has come back in in time, but it's getting hotter so glad to know that he just may not follow through...........

Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
    why on earth would the breed who is most susceptible to heat,,, not have the 'whatever' to lug his self back into the cool... Never ever even questioned one of my dogs not being able to regulate for herself... I've been real conscious (mostly) when Hank heads out by himself, and so far he has come back in in time, but it's getting hotter so glad to know that he just may not follow through...........
    We learned the hard way on a walk years ago with Tyson. He was exhausted and we knew it so we were trying to get him to stop, and rest. The boy kept trying to keep walking... until finally he collapsed in the grass. Luckily the guy who's yard he collapse in was outside and he ran to get him ice & water, while my husband ran to the house to get the truck. We got him cooled off and had to 2ppl lift him into the truck. It was one of the scariest days of life... I thought we were gonna lose him... but I focused on everything I knew and did it all accordingly... after about 20 mins of being home he was starting to stabilize but we had the truck ready to go to ER. The entire event was horrible... I've learned my lesson with his limits and knowing that he himself has no idea on when to stop.

My whole heart, Tyson.

15. Likes shade liked this post
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

I had tried taking Hank to dog parks but............. he just doesn't stop! plus other dogs aren't real fond of him, but the biggie is that if he gets going, it's ridiculous to hold him down... even when he runs a hard 5 min he should stop and wont! Kind of rediculous to walk in and walk out 5 min later. Now, when no one else is there we're good, but I tell ya, the one time I couldn't catch him scared me to death!! I got him out of the fence and he immediately laid down. you must of about died!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    We learned the hard way on a walk years ago with Tyson. He was exhausted and we knew it so we were trying to get him to stop, and rest. The boy kept trying to keep walking... until finally he collapsed in the grass. Luckily the guy who's yard he collapse in was outside and he ran to get him ice & water, while my husband ran to the house to get the truck. We got him cooled off and had to 2ppl lift him into the truck. It was one of the scariest days of life... I thought we were gonna lose him... but I focused on everything I knew and did it all accordingly... after about 20 mins of being home he was starting to stabilize but we had the truck ready to go to ER. The entire event was horrible... I've learned my lesson with his limits and knowing that he himself has no idea on when to stop.

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member Maximus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

I agree with the posters .... you have to limit their time outdoors to 10-15 minutes. I can only share with you my own experience with my EB. We took him to the Park for a walk. It was not hot out. The temps were only in the 70s, but it obviously was to warm for him, and he collapsed and suffered heat stroke. We had to rush home and put him in a cool bath to lower his temp. This was the scariest moment. So he stays indoors now in the warm weather and enjoys the AC.

Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

oh my! you think that the excitement and the walking did it?? Hanks real active each day and trying to keep it that way so hopefully he will be more acclimated?? Oh these guys are scarry...
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    I agree with the posters .... you have to limit their time outdoors to 10-15 minutes. I can only share with you my own experience with my EB. We took him to the Park for a walk. It was not hot out. The temps were only in the 70s, but it obviously was to warm for him, and he collapsed and suffered heat stroke. We had to rush home and put him in a cool bath to lower his temp. This was the scariest moment. So he stays indoors now in the warm weather and enjoys the AC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads