Help Needed! Irritated Eye

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Ok guys,,,,luckily I've never had any major eye issues with Tyson. One of his eyes is irritated now, just the outside. Inside looks perfect, I know it's because he has an obsession with rubbing his face on the corners of all our furniture! I try to stop him when I see him.... but yeah. Not here all day long.

Question, what's something safe I can use around the eye?? I've been cleaning with plain eye wash but scared to use ointments I have bc it's so close to the eye! @2BullyMama @Manydogs [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] - halppppp.

9f96b9d3c371b200598ff85328d4b747.jpg

a19f7c08fb1771dd07690e7c4c8eac8d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Lockjaw does that! But he scratches his eye raw. Vet gave me Apoquel and said it's environmental allergies. That works great- but I don't want that to be long term. I'm going to start him on Zyrtec and see how that does. And it's only his right eye that he scratches.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Coconut oil Bella!

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Lockjaw does that! But he scratches his eye raw. Vet gave me Apoquel and said it's environmental allergies. That works great- but I don't want that to be long term. I'm going to start him on Zyrtec and see how that does. And it's only his right eye that he scratches.

Yes for Tyson it's only one eye as well and he's always done it but this time it got bad! I really wonder if it is allergies or the fact that he goes to town on the corner of our furniture!!!

PS good to see you I hadn't seen you post in a while and was actually meaning to reach out to you so happy you responded how are the babies??

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Coconut oil Bella!

Thank you Helene!!! So if I accidentally get some in his eye it won't burn, sting, or iirritate it?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks had this same thing.. just one eye too. I'll have to see what ointment we used, but as Helene suggested-- coconut oil should help

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Here is a pic of Banks' ... zoom in on her right eye( your left). I gotta check her files for the med, but I think it was nep-poly something

d2832b35dd74d12c70777cf2d516f64c.jpg

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Yes for Tyson it's only one eye as well and he's always done it but this time it got bad! I really wonder if it is allergies or the fact that he goes to town on the corner of our furniture!!!

PS good to see you I hadn't seen you post in a while and was actually meaning to reach out to you so happy you responded how are the babies??

Lockjaw would do the same thing- but on the bottom of his kennel, the bottom of the baby gate- anything that has a ledge, he was trying to run his head along it. He was getting quite creative with it.

LIFE! Life has been crazy lately! Work has been crazy busy since January and won't slow down until the end of March. [emoji30]
Then my daughter started softball again.

We were eating dinner and your post popped up as a notification. Lol

Simultaneously thought- she never had issues with Tyson AND Lockjaw has the same issue! Lol- I had to chime in.

They are doing really well! Penny is completely healed from her TPLO and is an absolutely different, happier dog. Lockjaw is his same ole hard headed rambunctious self.

Just another day of Penny trying to take all the toys from Lockjaw by way of humping him. [emoji85][emoji85]

aa92e00996d96635bfc23fd8fcfbe0fd.jpg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you Helene!!! So if I accidentally get some in his eye it won't burn, sting, or iirritate it?

No as it's natural oil. A friend of mine I've worked for years back home is from Barbados. She mentioned once that people in the caribbean use it all the time to soothe irritated, dry eyes. There's also eyedrops has glycerin and you put that into your eyes. Glycerin is basically a byproduct of processing animal fat for soap.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
No as it's natural oil. A friend of mine I've worked for years back home is from Barbados. She mentioned once that people in the caribbean use it all the time to soothe irritated, dry eyes. There's also eyedrops has glycerin and you put that into your eyes. Glycerin is basically a byproduct of processing animal fat for soap.

Awesome going to put it on there now!!! Thank you love [emoji8]

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Make sure it's organic and pure no perfumes

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw would do the same thing- but on the bottom of his kennel, the bottom of the baby gate- anything that has a ledge, he was trying to run his head along it. He was getting quite creative with it.

LIFE! Life has been crazy lately! Work has been crazy busy since January and won't slow down until the end of March. [emoji30]

Simultaneously thought- she never had issues with Tyson AND Lockjaw has the same issue! Lol- I had to chime in.

They are doing really well! Penny is completely healed from her TPLO and is an absolutely different, happier dog. Lockjaw is his same ole hard headed rambunctious self.

Just another day of Penny trying to take all the toys from Lockjaw by way of humping him. [emoji85][emoji85]

I swear those two are just to funny. You should of called them Cheech and Chong. Lol

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

So great to hear that everyone is doing well!! Work has been insane for me too, so I completely understand. Like I said I had been meaning to reach out to you and just never had a chance to sit down and do it, lol. I'm going to try some coconut oil tonight since I have that on hand and see if Christine can get me the name of the ointment so I can ask my vet for some! I guess it's a weird bulldog obsession, lol he like goes nuts! Lol I have to try and find ways to block corners now, lol [emoji8] hugs to the babies, love the pic. Lol you go Penny!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Walter has the same thing going on, I just haven't had time to address it yet... I have coconut oil so I will give that a try. I hope Ty Ty heals up soon...

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
There's not much I can add to this as other members have done very well guiding you. However, if the aforementioned guidance does not work to your satisfaction, a trip to the Vet may be best. The Vet may prescribe something along these lines.

I'll add that it's very important to address the root cause of the irritation along with treating the symptom.
He's allergic to something...the hard part is figuring out what.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.