Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Thread: Dermatitis

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Red
    Likes (Received)

Default Dermatitis

My Red has spots all over. I took him to the vet they shaved one spot gave antibiotics and allergy pills. The itching is better but I keep finding more spots

He is two years old and has never had this problem before. I was gone on vacation and he was watched by my sister who has two Bulldogs both had flea issues. He was also fed different food a couple times. Anyone know why this might be happening and what else I might try to help him out

Thank you
    Sue

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Dermatitis

Can you take pics of the spots? Are they raised spots like hives or just spots of missing hair? Hives can be dangerous, but since he's been to the vet he should be doing okay... bald spots could be many different things. It could be fleas (did you seen any fleas on him?) or it could mean a skin infection such as demondex mange. Mange is manageable if you catch it early enough... did they do a skin scrape on him?

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

3. Likes harveyspecter liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

@SMSiegman He could have flea allergic dermatitis. Some dogs are highly allergic to fleas, and just one flea can cause havoc. I would bathe him in Dawn dish soap, and if there are any fleas,you will see them in the tub. It could be the change in food, but then you would probably see hives.After bathing, you could rinse him in Avon skin-so-soft bath oil,which also will sooth his skin,and repel fleas-for a short time. Hopefully, you don't have fleas in the house already.
    I have a great simple thing -fleatrap-jpgA flea trap. I plug it in at night(though you could all day,too) it is just a night light bulb,and comes with sticky paper,that you put in it. any bugs that are in the house,will be attracted to the light/heat from it. I love this simple thing!!!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

5. Likes 2BullyMama, Texas Carol liked this post
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Red
    Likes (Received)

The spots were only raised because of the scabs. He doesn't have any fleas on him but my sister
    dogs had lots of fleas. I looked again and the spot on the neck does feel like it could be raised a little bit-image-jpeg-image-jpeg

I gave him a bath yesterday with Avo Derm and found quite a few more spots that looked the same.

Do hives get scabs? The area on his neck was the biggest spot and my sister said it popped open and puss came out. When I got home about a week later I took him to the vet. Me was also rubbing his butt on the ground which he has never done before

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

I am no vet, but it looks like your Red has Pyoderma, which was caused from him scratching so much,from the fleas,then causes an infection. As for rubbing his butt, he either needs his anals expressed, or has bites there, as fleas like to gather there,also. If it were my dog, I would continue with the antibiotics, and get some NuStock( online,or at horse supply) and put it on the sores. Your poor boy-he is suffering from those damn fleas! Her house must be infested! @SMSiegman
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

8. Likes 2BullyMama, Texas Carol liked this post
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Red
    Likes (Received)

Thank you so much for replying. He hasn't been scratching but I keep finding spots. Ugh I will purchase what you suggested

Was using Betagen but this other might be better.

10. Likes 2BullyMama, Texas Carol liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Poor baby... he must be miserable--- hope he heals up quick.
    @Manydogs gave you great advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Remove Ads