Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help with any tips for surviving the dreaded cone and eye swelling after surgery

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member CCandMurray's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carolyn
    Country
    U.S.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Murray
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Need help with any tips for surviving the dreaded cone and eye swelling after surgery

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    Hi Carolyn, I had Dozer neutered at 7 months old, and Blossom was spayed and had her cherry eye repaired at the same time. Our guys were not sent home with a cone, and neither one of them wore one or needed one. They never scratched or interfered with their stitches. The only thing I found difficult after their surgeries was trying to keep them quiet and not running around or jumping on or off things. Blossoms eye didn't really swell too much, so I don't know if it's normal to have a lot of swelling of the eye. Each dog is different, so I would just call the vet and ask if swelling is normal after cherry eye surgery. I hope Murray heals quickly, and everything goes well. I found that Dozer really healed quickly after his neuter surgery, and other than having to put daily cream in Blossoms eye, she didn't have any complications after surgery and also bounced back within a week.
    Thank you so much for the very help information! I do have a question...after Blossom's surgery how long was it before her eye looked normal? And does it look the same as it did before she had the surgery?

Real Name
    Carolyn
    Country
    U.S.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Murray
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Need help with any tips for surviving the dreaded cone and eye swelling after surgery

Quote Originally Posted by 1Chumly View Post
    Glad you got it sorted out for him!
    Thank you he's still not thrilled with having to wear it but so far *knock on wood* he seems to be tolerating it much better! Now if we only could master the art of not having it be such a fight to get the ointment in lol but one thing at a time I guess!

Bulldog Vet in Training Christie H's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CCandMurray View Post
    So we went to pet smart and got this blow up one Attachment 93766but I wasn't happy with the way it fit and it kept falling off. So then we went to petco and got this one Attachment 93767which is fitting much better--and--bonus--the girl who helped us at petco used to be a vet tech at the vet where Murray got his surgery, knows the vet who did it and said that his eye looks really good considering that he just got it done yesterday so now I'm feeling better about it
    We tried the soft and Abbott popped the velcro strap.lol He goes crazy when he hears velcro.We picked him up at 5:00 tonight and he is nauseated from anesthesia and has been throwing up off and on and all the other perks that come with coming down from anesthetics.It looks so painful but I keep telling myself everyone's exhausted but we will all be OK Here's his pre op pics..They are graphic..But thank God all is good.-uploadfromtaptalk1449286675999-jpeg-uploadfromtaptalk1449286691319-jpeg

4. Likes CCandMurray liked this post
    Real Name
    Carolyn
    Country
    U.S.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Murray
    Likes (Received)

so glad that Abbott is home and doing well! His after pic looks so so much better!!! I hope he stops throwing up soon and that everything continues smoothly on the way to recovery

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Thank you so much for the very help information! I do have a question...after Blossom's surgery how long was it before her eye looked normal? And does it look the same as it did before she had the surgery?
    Hi Carolyn, Blossom's eye didn't really have much swelling after her surgery, but it was a little red for about a week post surgery. we had to put an antibiotic cream in her eye everyday, and she had a follow up check a week after and she was fine after that. Her eyes looked beautiful after the repair, you can't even tell she ever had cherry eye, and it's been 4 years since she had them done.

Here are some before and after pictures of her eyes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg   -image-jpg   -image-jpg   -image-jpg  
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

7. Likes CCandMurray liked this post
    Real Name
    Carolyn
    Country
    U.S.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Murray
    Likes (Received)

Thank you so much for sharing the before and after pictures! You're right-you can't tell that she ever had cherry eye. I'm hoping to be able to post similar pictures of Murray soon! The vet said he has swelling because of how inflamed and prolapsed the gland was, it was still swelling as she was doing the surgery but the swelling went down significantly by the time I picked him up. I guess I was just expecting that it would look back to normal or almost normal right away and it doesn't so it was just a little startling to see. I'm pretty new to all of this so I wasn't 100% sure of what to expect. Feeling a little better today when the vet tech at Petco said that it looks good for the day after the surgery she certainly knows better than I! We go back to the vet on Monday 12/14 and I'm hoping and praying that by then Murray's eye will be feeling and looking much better.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Thank you so much for sharing the before and after pictures! You're right-you can't tell that she ever had cherry eye. I'm hoping to be able to post similar pictures of Murray soon! The vet said he has swelling because of how inflamed and prolapsed the gland was, it was still swelling as she was doing the surgery but the swelling went down significantly by the time I picked him up. I guess I was just expecting that it would look back to normal or almost normal right away and it doesn't so it was just a little startling to see. I'm pretty new to all of this so I wasn't 100% sure of what to expect. Feeling a little better today when the vet tech at Petco said that it looks good for the day after the surgery she certainly knows better than I! We go back to the vet on Monday 12/14 and I'm hoping and praying that by then Murray's eye will be feeling and looking much better.
    Aww I'm sure he will be much better next week, every dog is different and every surgery is different for each dog. Just keep putting the drops or cream in his eye, and try to keep him quiet and don't allow him to jump on or off of beds or couches until he heals.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

10. Likes CCandMurray liked this post
    Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

FTSE had a cone collar after his cherry eye op and I think I suffered more with him walking into my legs I was black and blue but I guess that was his way to punish me for putting him through the op I did cut it down a bit as it was so darn long but he needed it so I percerveered the time he needed it.

Good luck Caroline. And give Murray a huge kiss and hug from me and Ftse

12. Likes CCandMurray liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Corine Pesantes's Avatar
    Real Name
    Corine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lockjaw and Penny
    Likes (Received)

Penny HATED the cone as well. She whined at night with it- so we ended up camping out downstairs for about 3 nights. Whenever we were with her I kept it off. She seemed much happier, plus someone was ALWAYS watching her to make sure she didn't scratch or rub her nose. After that we only put the cone on her when she went in her feat when we went back to work almost a week later. At her follow up- vet said everything looked great and it was ok to discontinue the cone. LOL- if she only knew!
    Praying for a speedy recovery!!! Remember, everyday gets a little better and a little easier!
    "Every once in a while, a dog (or 2) enters your life and changes everything!" <3

Mommy of Lockjaw and Penny

14. Likes CCandMurray liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Christie H's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
    Likes (Received)

so glad that Abbott is home and doing well! His after pic looks so so much better!!! I hope he stops throwing up soon and that everything continues smoothly on the way to recovery
    We made another trip to the vet this morning so he could get a shot for the nausea.He can't hold anything down yet so it's a wait and see at this point.It was a long night and morning.Glad your baby is doing good

Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Murphy Hudson Nash
    Likes (Received)

Murphy went in for cherry eye surgery 3 times.
    His left eye was very stubborn!!

He was sent home with a cone and I had him keep it on for a week every time
    Just in case he got the zoomies & accidentally ran into something.

The swelling is normal unfortunately
    It doesn't look flattering at all. But it goes down steadily.

Every time he got drops and pills for the inflammation.

I put cold compress on his eye every twenty minutes or so for the first couple days.
    ( which will also help with the gunk that will be coming from his eye)

About the 4th day I take a warm rag and gently wipe to g et all the yucky stuff out and it should be good from there.
    He had his last surgery right before thanksgiving

-image-jpeg-image-jpeg

17. Likes CCandMurray liked this post
    Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Murphy Hudson Nash
    Likes (Received)

I also had a pillow with him wherever he wanted to lay down
    It makes it easier to elevate his head
    Even in his kennel

I took toys away as well for about two weeks just so it wouldn't pop back out again
    He was not very happy about it
    Sat on the couch and growled at me
    Not aggressively but he just wanted to play!
    -image-jpeg

19. Likes CCandMurray liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads