Real Name
    Tasha Penwell
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Effie & Josie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Suspected ACL Injury

Thanks everyone All of the support means so much She's doing alright for the most part. I have to say though...keeping my pupper so sedated breaks my heart & makes me feel like a horrible person. The vet did say that it is essential for us to keep her calm in order for her to heal. Lord, I hope this works and that it isn't all for nothing. I've looked her injury up online and it seems like surgery is the most frequent course of action. I think it involves placing a pin. But, the vet really seems convinced that based on the size of the fracture & and her age, that if we can keep her calm we've got a good chance of avoiding surgery. She goes in for her 1st bandage change tomorrow (this has to be done weekly). Her x-rays will be redone at the 4 week mark and I'll be sure to let you all know how she's doing
    Thanks again for all the well wishes! I'm passing lots of puppy kisses on to Miss Effie Mae
    "Be the person your dog thinks you are"

2. Likes 2BullyMama, Texas Carol, Donnam liked this post
    Pet Sitter
    Country
    Germany
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Püppy
    Likes (Received)

I'm so glad your sweet baby has no ACL and won't need this surgery
    And I'm sorry little Effie hurt her tibia and has to stay calm for four weeks.
    I totally undestand this is very difficult for all of you. I so much hope you
    all will be succesful with this task and Effie won't need surgery therefore as well

You can try to occupy her with little 'head-work'-challenges (just make shure to confirm
    her only when she stays/sits calm while working together) like for example: take a treat in
    one closed hand (show this the first times to her; when she gets practised you can start
    to make it a little more difficult by not showing in which hand you hide it) and present both
    fists to her; now she has to touch the right hand with her paw to get the treat.
    'Head-work' and 'sniffing-work' are challanges for concentration and tire dogs out in a way
    compareable to long walks or running games - a satisfactorying way.
    Just be careful she doesn't get too excited and stays physically calm and not to make
    the challenges too difficult so she has senses of achievements

I'm sending positive thoughts and hugs for sweet Effie Mae and I hope you can avoid
    surgery - - good luck

Bully Bootie Duty betterxthanxnew's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tasha Penwell
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Effie & Josie
    Likes (Received)

@mybrindlegirl, thanks for the advice! That actually sounds like a fun game to play with her. It's so hard not being able to play around the way we normally would (I know she misses her Frisbee)

She had her first bandage change today. The doctor said she's looking good, though there really isn't any way to check progress until they redo her x-rays at week 4. The doctor said to just keep doing what we're doing. Giving her the meds has gotten a little easier because I realize she has to have them to stay calm. The sight of her trying to run or jump right now scares the pants off of me! Our new neighbor was outside with her dog this morning when I took Effie out to use the bathroom, and Effie was just DYING to go play with it. I can not wait for all of this to be over- but I have a feeling I will forever be worried about her overdoing it from now on!!
    "Be the person your dog thinks you are"

5. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by betterxthanxnew View Post
    @mybrindlegirl, thanks for the advice! That actually sounds like a fun game to play with her. It's so hard not being able to play around the way we normally would (I know she misses her Frisbee)

She had her first bandage change today. The doctor said she's looking good, though there really isn't any way to check progress until they redo her x-rays at week 4. The doctor said to just keep doing what we're doing. Giving her the meds has gotten a little easier because I realize she has to have them to stay calm. The sight of her trying to run or jump right now scares the pants off of me! Our new neighbor was outside with her dog this morning when I took Effie out to use the bathroom, and Effie was just DYING to go play with it. I can not wait for all of this to be over- but I have a feeling I will forever be worried about her overdoing it from now on!!

you will worry a lot after, but it slowly breaks down and you'll cringe at times, but you'll both be OK
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

7. Likes betterxthanxnew liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Remove Ads